• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Need help/suggestions planning a trip

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Jason Sobczak

Oct 15, 2016
I'm trying to plan a spearfishing trip for late January/February. Any suggestions? I was thinking going around South Africa, Mozambique, and western Australia but I'm getting conflicting results researching conditions for that time frame in Africa. Can anyone share their experiences, or again, make suggestions to point me in the right direction?

Hi Jason,

January and February are usually very good months for spearfishing in Moz and S. Africa. During that time of year Mozambique will have good game fish. A variety of bill fish, Wahoo, Dorado etc will be on offer.

In South Africa, during that time of year the Agulhas banks should be firing with good Yellowtail, Marlin and Tuna on offer.

I think the key to any successful spearfishing trip is local knowledge. Once you have made up your mind in which areas you are staying try and get in to contact with some local spearos or consider taking a guide. This will make a huge difference especially in Moz where some of the best diving areas are very remote.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jason Sobczak
Hi Jason,

January and February are usually a very good months for spearfishing in Moz and S. Africa. During that time of year Mozambique will have good game fish. A variety of bill fish, Wahoo, Dorado etc will be on offer.

In South Africa, during that time of year the Agulas banks should be firing with good Yellowtail, Marlin and Tuna on offer.

I think the key to any successful spearfishing trip is local knowledge. Once you have made up your mind in which areas you are staying try and get in to contact with some local spearos or consider taking a guide. This will make a huge difference especially in Moz where some of the best diving areas are very remote.
That was more or less my understanding of the conditions in those areas for that time of the year but looking up charters some places don't even start their season until Feb/March due to "the season and water conditions" so I was a bit thrown off.
I completely agree and have experienced first hand that having local knowledge of an area and guides really makes the difference in how productive a spear trip can be. I'm currently looking into that and even have a friend who is trying to get me in touch with some locals in SA.
I appreciate the input and info, I'm pretty set on my next trip being to that region of the world. Thanks again

Hello,

Me and 2 friends are thinking about a spearfishing trip to Mozambique, I was wondering where is the best location to do some reef diving down to 20 and some blue water hunting for large to medium sized fish. I also need to know when is the best time of the year for such a trip. Thank you in advance !

Hussein,

I haven't been spearfishing in Africa yet so I can't tell you from experience. I was planning a trip there January or February but won't be able to make it this year. From what I've found and from the previous response to this thread those should be the best months through around March. As far as where to go I think your best bet would be to find a local or plan a trip through a guide or charter.
Sorry I can't be of more help. If you end up going let me know how it all goes.

Reactions: Hussein Marey
Hussein,

I haven't been spearfishing in Africa yet so I can't tell you from experience. I was planning a trip there January or February but won't be able to make it this year. From what I've found and from the previous response to this thread those should be the best months through around March. As far as where to go I think your best bet would be to find a local or plan a trip through a guide or charter.
Sorry I can't be of more help. If you end up going let me know how it all goes.
Thanks

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT