• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Need help with CO2 tables

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Garil20

Sep 6, 2015
Hey guys, Im a swimmer and I want to be able to not breath during the 50m Sprint. It only lasts 23 seconds, but the amount of CO2 is huge. Will the normal CO2 tables help? If not, how should I change them? By the way, in this case the O2 tables are useless since 23s is a very short time right? Thanks a lot guys in advance.

Hey guys, Im a swimmer and I want to be able to not breath during the 50m Sprint. It only lasts 23 seconds, but the amount of CO2 is huge. Will the normal CO2 tables help? If not, how should I change them? By the way, in this case the O2 tables are useless since 23s is a very short time right? Thanks a lot guys in advance.

I am not a competitive swimmer but I don't think you can swim that fast for that long on 1 breath. You will probably go hypoxic very fast and pass out. How about doing sprint training sets but breathing at a fixed stroke (say 5) for the entire thing?

Yeah, it is actually faster because when you breath you break the streamline position. The world record was done with 0 breaths. The change is actually minimal but each breath you add 0.3s minimum to the final time which is huge. Ive been doing CO2 tables everyday. I wonder if that will help somehow

From what I understand using both tables, should overall help your breath hold whether moving or not. So practicing with tables on both should help you towards your goal. Even if it removes one or two breaths it would be beneficial.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

Experiment with your breathing, and practice. Find out your "personal best" in how few breaths you can take in 50 meter sprint. Try to get a feel for the trade-off between not having air vs speed. You might find that you can eventually complete a 50 meter sprint without air - but it might also slow you down a bit if you are so distracted by the hypoxic struggle.
I'm not a competitive swimmer but I can do a 25 meter sprint on a breath. I'm thinking that taking 1 or 2 breaths for 50 meters would be optimal for a well conditioned racer.

Interesting.
What does a very full breath do to your hydrodynamic/drag/speed?
If the increased boyancy in the torso benifit body shape, position, speed, etc. then increasing your lung capacity might give you that extra few seconds you are after thanks to the extra oxygen you can cary.
For me personaly, improved flexibility in the torso - intercostal seem to help a great deal in stayng relaxed. This 'easy' relaxed full breath is what helps me extend my breathold ability. I immagine trying to motorboat a 50m, your flexibility might be compromised. This I base on Athletics background where the sprinters are typically sacrificing flexibility and endurance for that extra bit of explosive bulk.
The other thing which is a total no-no in freediving practice is to hyperventilate.
PLEASE NOTE I AM NOT TELLING YOU TO DROWN YOURSELF, so take care when exploring this and only with a competent safety right by you.
I wouldnt like you to black out on 49metres and crack your scull open.

Reading the earlier posts, it seems that fighting the urge to breath is what limits your progress on making it all the way, full speed. Could you circumnavigate this by hyperventilation? Flushing CO2 from your body and as a result not getting the urge to breathe is likely to result in you blacking out without notice when you have used up too much oxygen on your 50M swim. I would have thought that there is enough O2 in a trained swimmers body to allow a 50m sprint without diping below your critical O2. Probably not good to try this at the end of your training session, but early morning when you are still 'fresh'.

I will probably get crucified by posting this in a freedive site. So I will say again.
*Be VERY carefull when exploring with hyperventilating*
The dry tables you do plus a bit of hyperventilating is likely to get you there no probs though.

I would like to know how you get on...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT