• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Need help with my speargun

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

zbabies

Oct 2, 2020
Hi all,

I'm brand new to spearfishing, and could use a bit of guidance. I got a Seac Sting 75 gun to start, because its cheap and seemed to be reliable and to have decent reviews, and is suitable for what I plan on doing. I will be hunting small fish off the cost of Vancouver island (lingcod, greenling, rockfish, etc). However, I just assumed it would come with a reel and line. It didn't.

I found this video on it :

From the video you seem to need mono; a bungee; a clamp on the bungee; crimps; a reel; line for the reel. Is that right? My gun has a muzzle eye but no bracket to attach a reel.

If anybody has a recommendation for the suitable rigging to use (i.e. the reel, line, etc for the setup) that would be greatly appreciated! I'm new and not trying to spend a ton of money out the gate.

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Mr. X
Welcome ! ,.If you go on to diveinn or amazon you shall find a cheap real or near to the idea.You should find a Reel with a clamp obviously not robust at a low price .The reel is attacked to the tube near to the firing mechanism,.Some people attatch the gun to the cord line of the marker Bouy although if you develop the technique to a larger species youll want the more costly floatation bouy and upgrade of choice of gun. My 1st gun cost £35 euro out of decathlon a thazard 65 cm ! i shot a fish of near 30 kg as luck was the fish continued going on its way with a scratch and me with a loss to what could have been how real does it get,.hope this helps

If you are just starting out, it is probably best not to use a reel at first. Instead attach your speargun to a float-line and attach that to a large, inexpensive, inflatable, torpedo-shaped float with a diver down flag flying from a short mast on the back.

You can also attach your fish-stringer to the back of it. And, if you use them, crab bag, torch, water bottle, whistle, etc. It will also help boaters to see you and hopefully avoid you.

Reactions: Leander
Also see the "For Dummies" articles by Miles and the associated discussion threads on this forum DeeperBlue.com.

The one on speargun rigging will likely answer your questions and more.

Also see the "For Dummies" articles by Miles and the associated discussion threads on this forum DeeperBlue.com.

The one on speargun rigging will likely answer your questions and more.
Thanks for your reply! I tried searching for the For Dummies threads and didn't find any. Can you give me the specific way to search? I searched this forum, in titles, with the words: for dummies.

Hmm, stupidly hard to find now. Looks like a new series of articles have been given more prominence :(

Reactions: DivingNomad
This is the one for your question:

I believe there is an article on rigging too but couldn't find it. The thread has much the same info. though.

Sorry to see you strugling as a new commer,.Try an new approach less confusion( I dont use the black nylon nor omer kit sleaves nor do i use the crimping pliers i use dynema) a normal pair of steel tying pinser snips shall do i did this sqeeze the kit sleeve in the channel between the 2 passages of the kit sleeve with having passed 1st the nylon in the 1st part of the sleeve then through the hole far away from the groves of the spear were one would normaly charge the gun then pass the other part of the nylon in to the kit sleeve do not crimp not yet insert the shaft in to the firing mech youll hear a click .then you look at the nylon and were you would normale charge the wish bone think for a moment youll see that you have to be down from the inserting area rear of shaft and in between were you would charge the fish bone in to the grove then pass the line down to wards the muzzleand in beetween the two bands youll see a coarse that has a track for the line then turn that line under the tube of your gun then you shall see that that hook that is a nylon plastic pass a half turn then down to a small hole if with out reel youll find that small hole were the muzzle is be were you secure the second kit sleeve now if happy with the nylon tension and you see it well to be of good tension crimp 3 little bites with not to much of presure on the kit sleeves (look on internet of other guns i.e on web sites guns for sale make attention to the crimp the 1st kit sleeve of the spear shaft note that nylon lenthens after a while ,. if you purchase the reel and mount the reel if it comes with nylon use that at 1s t or purchase a spool of dynema theirs lots to choose from i get mine from sail shops near the coast and when in offer its better 1.mm or 1.5mm depending on the hole in the spear shaft mr x mentioned that at 1 st the reel not a nessesity we begin alike a stone to become a mountain of knowledge good hunting hope this makes senseif you want you could fit the bunge compensator but that done on more powerfull band guns keep it simple at 1st

Hii
If you are just starting out, you go on to amazon or diveinn you shall find out the best cheap reels with a clamp not robust at low price.
Fishing rigs are the combination of hooks, sinkers, snaps and swivels that you add to the end of your fishing line.
You can also add a bobber or cork, or in some cases, a second hook

I believe there is an article on rigging too but couldn't find it. The thread has much the same info. though.
Thanks! That was helpful. I was also able to get some advice from another local spearo. Apparently out here, most guys use neither a reel nor a float line, since the fish just aren't big enough to pull you around and necessitate it. They keep it simple by just using a shooting line. A 15lb fish would be about the biggest off the coast here

The floatline is not just for big fish. It is also so that you are willing and able to drop your speargun without fear of losing it, for example if you have to ditch your weights. A diver down float is also for protection from boats (although boater/kayaker/camper ignorance is such that it sometimes attracts them!o_O)

I got a Seac Sting 75 gun to start, because its cheap and seemed to be reliable and to have decent reviews, and is suitable for what I plan on doing. I will be hunting small fish off the cost of Vancouver island (lingcod, greenling, rockfish, etc). However, I just assumed it would come with a reel and line. It didn't.

Yes, for the most part we are shooting at small fish here in BC. But lingcod you mentioned isn't very small fish. By fishing regs, you can't shoot at lingcod smaller than 65cm in length. You will see them much bigger, 1m or more, these will take the gun out of your hands if you are not ready. But, even then, you can still get by without reel.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT