• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Need some advice.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

VaKo

Jan 22, 2002
Been freediving for awhile now, and a few things a cropped up.

1: How do I optimise my bodies usage of oxygen while underwater? I can touch the bottom of the 6m pool but I have to come up for air after a very short time, I can't swim the distance of the pool underwater. I can run 5K in 23-25 mins.

2: What does it mean when your diving and your suddenly VERY aware of your body? I get a strange sensation in the larger muscle groups in my body, kinda like there burning. Other than that my level of awareness of my body, my surroundings etc goes up tremulously. I can feel all the movements of the water over my body. Very cool, but I'm very light headed when I surface and have to rest for a few mins before I dive again.

3: One ear equalizing and the other not, usually my left ear, but it changes sometimes. I use the Valsalva technique. Any ideas.

VaKo

Hello VaKo

the dive time depends on both oxygen usage and CO2 tolerance.
Both can be increased with training. The more relaxed you are able to be underwater the less oxygen you are to use.
CO2 tolerance can be raised quite easily through training, which would be static apneas, apnea walking etc. to get your body used to some more CO2 in your body.

Oxygen useage is also connected to your bodys 'current status', warmed muscles, and mammal dive reflex. ( should find lots of good information about that on this site.).

Equalizing problems are easily solved, go for the frenzel technic. At least to me frenzel is the way to force air into my ears, works like a dream.

About that number 2, i have no experience of exact same response, but im sure someone on these forums can clarify you.

And the last words ;)
never push your limits when there is no-one eapecially guarding you. Take it easy and have fun.

Tuomo

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT