• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Need your opinion on my next speargun in the 120-130 ish range: Candidates: Underpressure, Carbontek, or Riffe?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Savagedragon

May 24, 2019
Hi
I am looking for some kind of my forever-gun. A jack of all trades but a master of none. The one that I'll use it 80% of the time. It's something akin to a bigger reef gun and a light blue water gun.
So far I have chosen 3 candidates for this:
The Underpressure gun MK II 126 cm, a Greek carbon gun:

Or Carbontek Wahoo 120-130 range:

Or Riffe Marauder 120 possible 140. (Riffe says 140 is a great all around hunting size but it might be a tad too big to travel around with)

I would like to hear your opinions on these choices and your preferences. If you've owned these guns please let me hear your thoughts.

I haven’t owned any of those guns although the RIFFE is manufactured about 5 miles from my house. But I know a lot of people who own the Riffe Maurauder and are very happy with it.

I’ll confess to a strong preference for wood guns in general. I’ve drilled holes in every gun I’ve owned. If you get a new reel with different hole pattern than your last reel you can just drill new holes to mount it. I don’t think you can do that with carbon fiber.

Last edited:
Reactions: Savagedragon
I have a Carbontek Mantis which is rebranded by Sigalsub and really love the gun. But that was AFTER I did a bunch of improvements on it. (Including drilling holes in the carbon)

If you are looking to get a classic setup Carbon gun I would look at C4. Their new model Gladius seems quite promising.

What fish will you be hunting? Deep reef , shore diving or blue water?

I have a Carbontek Mantis which is rebranded by Sigalsub and really love the gun. But that was AFTER I did a bunch of improvements on it. (Including drilling holes in the carbon)

If you are looking to get a classic setup Carbon gun I would look at C4. Their new model Gladius seems quite promising.

What fish will you be hunting? Deep reef , shore diving or blue water?

I already have a Graphite 116, running with double 14mm and 7mm shaft. I use it for the reef and it suits me just fine. The Gladius looks like it has a horrible setup out of the box. The thing comes with a 6.75mm shaft I believe and seeing as it can accommodate 2 rubbers, I don't see why I should change my Graphite to a Gladius.

So what I am looking for right now is something heavier than my twin rubber Graphite.

I'll be mostly doing reefs and shore dives.. my home island is quite shallow so it's around 8-12 meters here but I do want to travel around more and possibly go deeper in Indonesia, Philippines or Vanuatu etc. And also I want the gun to work 'well enough' in blue water situations, basically some light bluewater fish would be fine.

I understand why some people like wood, but the maintenance is what puts me off about wooden spearguns. However the Marauder is making me reconsider... it's a very sexy and powerful gun.

I've seen reviews about the Mantis from Carbontek but not so much the Wahoo series. Some people call the Wahoo's bodywork is basically a carbon version of the Abellans... which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. The only weird thing about the Wahoo series is how short the spearshaft is. For example the 130 Wahoo comes with a 155cm spearshaft. As far as I know, a classic setup would call for a 170 shaft or at least 165 for a gun that size.

The MK II from Underpressure is quite affordable but I can't find any review about the gun or the brand at all. I just know some spearos who use their 75-90cm series on Youtube.

I haven’t owned any of those guns although the RIFFE is manufactured about 5 miles from my house. But I know a lot of people who own the Riffe Maurauder and are very happy with it.

I’ll confess to a strong preference for wood guns in general. I’ve drilled holes in every gun I’ve owned. If you get a new reel with different hole pattern than your last reel you can just drill new holes to mount it. I don’t think you can do that with carbon fiber.

Thanks for your input. On the other hand carbon guns require zero maintenance. I've never owned a wooden speargun before but I despise maintenance. Aesthetics wise I am more inclined towards carbon but the Riffe Marauder is a very beautiful beast I have to say. Which is strange since I've never found wooden spearguns that pretty.

Wood gun if you want a lifetime gun, on that list i'd say the Marauder would be the most versatile and able to accommodate different shafts and band setup for different hunting conditions. We set them up in the store for everything from reef to bluewater. For versatility go with the 55. And wood guns definitely don't require more maintenance. Maybe that belief comes from the fact that they will require a little bit oiling, but other than that will be more durable and far outlast composite guns!

I agree with Benthic about the lack of maintenance with wood guns. Its my opinion that maintaining the finish is mostly a matter of appearance. I know two different guys who had Riffe Islands for many years and took pride in the fact that they had never touched them with a drop of oil. One of these guys was at my house the night before a trip and I offered to oil the gun but he jerked it out of my hands. He wanted it white. They looked like bleached driftwood but they still worked fine.

I'm not quite that cavalier about it. I might wipe my guns down with a coat of Tung oil twice a year or so. No sanding, no prep, just put some oil on a cloth and wipe them down.

Edit: I should clarify. I was talking about teak not needing much care. Other woods may need more protection.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT