• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

negative pressure dives

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Sometimes when doing negative dives in 5m deep pool, I lose air from my mouth to lungs via epiglottis (descending head first) and that makes me feel like I'm drowning right away. I can't equalize with Frenzel because there's no airspace in throat, and I can't exhale against my closed mouth becouse I have so little air in my lungs. So I got to ascend without hitting the bottom, and on surface it's hard to start breathing (hard to open epiglottis).

Is this caused by wrong kind of technique or just need of practise?

I haven't ever tried diving even to -5m with fully exhaled, always ~1/3 air left..

Hi Juha, what's happening here is a normal thing; the air wants to rise, and as soon as you open your throat, it will go back into your lungs. The technique you need to learn is the process of getting that air into your mouth and keeping it in there. When you are at a depth that is getting "tight", bring your head to your chin, and make a noise like a seal as you stretch your jaw out whilst simultaneously pulling your head up relative to your body. Done properly, this will fill your mouth with air. Close your throat at the right time, relax your head back to position, and you should have bulging cheeks, full of air. This takes some practice, but when you get it, it will be obvious that it has worked.
I discovered this technique when I first dove past 26 metres in a dark lake last summer, then Eric Fattah expanded on it in his Frenzel/Fattah document, which is on Deeperblue somewhere.
Cheers, and Good Luck,
Erik Y.

Frenzel/Fattah

Hi,

The Frenzel/Fattah document resides on the main site on Deeper Blue.

Click here to read it (be aware it is very long though)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT