• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Nelson, New zealand, Freedive

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

shoutatthesky

Generalist
Mar 4, 2006
Hi

I would like to connect with freedivers- beginner or otherwise who would be interested in meeting on a regular basis for training.

Last edited:
There are plenty of us in Wellington if you're ever up this way. Doesn't really help you much on a day-to-day basis though... there are a couple of spearos in Nelson who have been talking about doing some freedive training though. I only know one of them personally but I can ask them if they'd be interested. I don't think the fact that they also shoot fish is going to make much difference to how useful they would be as training partners. Although I'll admit spearos have been known to be a little gung-ho on occasion....

Dave

Thanks Dave
Nothing really against spearos just want some ppl who want to focus on performance for competitions. I have met a couple of local spearos and they are great ppl with good attitude to newcomers such as myself but again their focus is how how to use these techniques to catch fish whereas my focus is elsewhere. I just like to look at the fish.
I have heard good things about the auckland/ wellington scenes and plan to get up to wellington when I can for a course with No Bubbles. My problem is my time is limited due to owning a 7 day a week business. I do have a marine reserve and some great water 5 mins from my work/house (Cable Bay/ Horoirangi Marine Reserve) so hope to meet some ppl to join up with in exploring these areas and would love to organise some regular pool training.

Hiya Shoutathesky.

Like Mullins, I'm active in the Lazy Seal club in Wellington.

I'm planning to come down to Nelson on Xmas eve (my partner's family lives in Mapua) for about a week. Maybe we could get together for a dive. I do spearfish as well freedive, but I'm more than happy to hang up the gun while we're in the water.

PM me (Guy Brew btw) if you want to arrange a session.

Cheers.

Are there any good areas to train in around the sounds, i.e. deep, close to shore and with little current? We have to go all the way up to Taupo to train because the wellington coast is too shallow (until you get a long way out) and generally too rough.

Cable bay sounds like an awesome place to live, in any case!

For someone like me who hasn't had much experience, swimming with shoals of baitfish and big stingrays is enough to keep me awestruck for as long as I can stay in the water.
Heading to a place in the sounds called Okiwi Bay this weekend for some scuba so I will let you know how it is.

Did four scuba dives this weekend. 2 at Cable Bay. The water was quite clear with about 10 metres vis. Saw a reasonable size kingfish and were joined by a cpl of schoals of Kahawai. Depth was about 9 mts but we were diving from the shore. Next day at Okiwi Bay the first dive was not a whole lot of fun with vis of only a metre or two. After that we headed out further to the outer bay known as Croisilles Harbour. The vis there was the best of any of the dives. It was a flat sandy bottom. My max depth was about 12 mts.
I think Cable Bay has some great potential especially with the creation last year of the Hoiroirangi Marine Reserve(904 Hectares) but I need to get my self a nice little zodiac to get to the sweet spots and a little further out from shore.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT