• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Nemrod Clipper 2 piston question

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

superfluities

Aug 24, 2020
Nemrod Clipper 2 piston question, is it two pieces? I can't find a diagram of the Clipper II piston. Looks like the Clipper 1 has a one piece piston but this gun has two piston halves?

Here is a Clipper piston. The different numbers indicate longer guns, thus a Clipper III is longer than a Clipper II which is longer than a Clipper I. The piston is made up of a number of pieces, similar to, but different from the Galeon and Silver series pistons.
nemrod clipper piston.jpg
Nemrod multipiece piston.jpg

Last edited:
Ii has broken its spine in two, you can see where the metal has fractured. Not sure how that happened, dry firing the gun in the air maybe, but that piston has had it. Maybe salvage the piston tail and the rubber seals and use the rest as a sample if you can find a spare piston to compare it with. The Clipper was made up until the end of Nemrod's production, so finding a piston may be possible. Spain is the place to look as the guns were made there. From time to time Clipper guns come up on eBay, so you may be able to buy a gun for parts. Unfortunately the pistons are the first things to go.

May I suggest that you find something else as the heavy Clipper sinks whenever you let go of it, which is a real nuisance when freediving after you have shot something. Scuba spearfishing was popular using these guns, but has been outlawed in many places, although the USA still allows it. Mid handle guns are made such as the Seabear in Russia, which is manufactured by a model airplane engine company, plus there are floating mid-handle guns made by Pelengas which can be purchased at the Pelengas Store on eBay. These are better guns than the Nemrod for modern spearfishing.

Last edited:
Ii has broken its spine in two, you can see where the metal has fractured. Not sure how that happened, dry firing the gun in the air maybe, but that piston has had it. Maybe salvage the piston tail and the rubber seals and use the rest as a sample if you can find a spare piston to compare it with. The Clipper was made up until the end of Nemrod's production, so finding a piston may be possible. Spain is the place to look as the guns were made there. From time to time Clipper guns come up on eBay, so you may be able to buy a gun for parts. Unfortunately the pistons are the first things to go.
This is just a labor of love probably never used as intended. I'll just make a new piston. How do you remove this valve? Looks like it screwed in but I don't see any way to remove it?
20200828_233342_resized.jpg
20200828_233450_resized.jpg

Here is the exploded parts diagram for the "Clipper".
Nemrod Clipper diagram.jpg

Looks like something is missing in your photo. In the rear of the gun is a threaded bush with a screwdriver slot running across it that the sealing washer for the pump connection sits on. Under that is what you can now see now, so the bush that fits those screw threads is not there. The screw driver slot allows the bush to be removed, but whoever owned this gun has not replaced it.

Last edited:
Here is the exploded parts diagram for the "Clipper".
View attachment 56517
Looks like something is missing in your photo. In the rear of the gun is a threaded bush with a screwdriver slot running across it that the sealing washer for the pump connection sits on. Under that is what you can now see now, so the bush that fits those screw threads is not there. The screw driver slot allows the bush to be removed, but whoever owned this gun has not replaced it.
I have the screw plug part. I had already removed it the brass washer and valve were stuck I had to drive it out with a pin punch from the back. Normally it should come out with the screw plug under spring pressure of the air valve.

Rubber parts can stick as they age and deteriorate, normally they should fall out. The Nemrod rubber valve seals are a flattened ring that is not easy to substitute, as “O” rings don’t have the correct cross-section. A new valve can be made if you have the equipment to make new parts. Also by now Nemrod hand pump seals would also have deteriorated, but they can be re-equipped with custom made parts. Whether it is worth the trouble fixing these guns is questionable as much better guns are available. In fact the arrival of the floating after the shot Sten in 1967 basically spelled the end of the Classic layout gun with a mid-handle and a rear tank after about 10 years.

Rubber parts can stick as they age and deteriorate, normally they should fall out. The Nemrod rubber valve seals are a flattened ring that is not easy to substitute, as “O” rings don’t have the correct cross-section. A new valve can be made if you have the equipment to make new parts. Also by now Nemrod hand pump seals would also have deteriorated, but they can be re-equipped with custom made parts. Whether it is worth the trouble fixing these guns is questionable as much better guns are available. In fact the arrival of the floating after the shot Sten in 1967 basically spelled the end of the Classic layout gun with a mid-handle and a rear tank after about 10 years.
Thanks, I've read some of the manual recently and these came pressurized with X amount of pressure and suggests you pump it up more for more distance up 200 pumps, no thanks! What spear gun would you buy today pneumatic or not??

Thanks, I've read some of the manual recently and these came pressurized with X amount of pressure and suggests you pump it up more for more distance up 200 pumps, no thanks! What spear gun would you buy today pneumatic or not??
Depends on what you want to shoot and where.

Sometimes a fella just wants to do a restoration for the heck of it or for historical reasons. Whatever, I had one for years and took a lot of fish with it. I gave it to my uncle back in the 80's and he's still using it. Good guns.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT