• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Neoprene hood too tight - what to do?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Uli

Sep 28, 2001
Hello,

I just got an 8 mm costum-made wetsuit for the cold season (jacket: smoothskin out/open cell in, trousers: nylon elastic out/open cell in) from eliossub. Today I have put on the wetsuit (just in the shower - not in the lake, yet...):
Of course it was a bit difficult to get in and out (8 mm! But my wife, equipped with gloves, helped me :)).

Everything fitted quite well except the hood:
It is so tight around the forehead and the ears, that it gives me a headache after a few minutes. :duh

Now I need help from all you materials scientists and experienced neoprene fetishists out there:
Is there any possibility to "widen" the neoprene (like it is done with leather shoes that are too tight)?
Another wetsuit manufacturer (www.topsub.it) offers preformed suits, that (among other things) give more space for the ears. Is there any possibility to do this kind of "preformation" with my already finished jacket?

Many thanks in advance!
Best regards
Uli

How about...

...calling eliossub and find out if it's possible to either exchange or have them make a suggestion.
After all, you just paid for a custom suit -- let 'em earn the $$.
I'd recommend you do so before trying anything else: they might have the answer you need.
Good luck, Uli!

Omg, I'm getting my eliossub custom made suit next Monday! I hope it's too tight :confused: :waterwork :(
I'm sorry for you Uli :(

Benjamin Leclerc

It seems that even low density neoprene will deform permanently if it is subjected to a constant stress (for example, if you fold a suit the material will be permanently crushed along the crease), so I think that if you an get an oversized styrofoam head and stuff it in the hood, it might stretch it a bit.

However, I think that getting Eliosub to fix it might be the better idea.

OceanSwimmer: I wrote an e-mail to Eliossub and I hope that they will come up with a solution.

Benjamin: Don't worry, I think you won't have this kind of problem unless you ordered a really thick suit. I never had any problems with my 5mm custom suit. (Okay, I have to admit it was not an Elios, but I didn't know them back then...)

Pezman: I expected a solution similar to what you wrote. Maybe in addition to the mechanical treatment, one could apply a thermal (heat gun, hair blower) or chemical (softener, plasticizer) one as well.

Thanks a lot to all three of you! I will wait for a note from Eliossub and then let you know how the story will go on.
(But first I fly to egypt for one week, where I certainly will have no use for my 8 mm suit :D).

Regards
Uli

Update

I just wanted to let you know the things that happened in the meantime:

-Eliossub answered: They basically advised me, not to put on the suit on dry land. Something like: One had to appreciate the quality of the suit in the water...

-Topsuit answered: the preformation for the ears is due to the cut, not because of a treatment of the neoprene.

-I stuffed the hood with towels and socks for a day and it seemed to have brought at least a bit of an improvement.

-And the most important thing:
I tried the suit in the Bodensee, yesterday! The water temperature was 4°C and the air temperature was about -3°C. We were in the water for about one and a half hour and I was not cold! (Of course the feet and hands get cold, but they still worked at the end of the diving...)

So, yes, the suit is amazingly warm! :D

However: It is not easy to put on a suit of that thickness. Especially to force the head through the collar (with lots of lube, of course) is a bit like being moved through the birth channel, if you know what I mean...
Definitely not fit for people who suffer from claustrophobia!

Thanks again for all the friendly help I received!
Now I cannot wait to try some ice-freediving! :cool:

Cheers
Uli

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT