• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Neptonics trigger

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Thanks, I worked my butt off for the shop I have, 10 years of saving up 20,000$. I went to machinist school at night and worked 2 jobs during the day and balanced a family of 4. Theres allot more in the back ground you will probably see over time. :) The trigger is sitting on a 9"x49" milling machine. Ya thats the lathe in the back ground of the laminates.

Jason

well, that puts things into perspective.,(concerning making your own trigger) VERY few people are up to the task . it would seem that maybe you are one of those few.KUDOS! i do some nice woodwork, myself, but man, you are set up for real! are you gonna start producing guns too? or just the one trigger for your gun? what did you think of the three piece mechanisms by alexander and also kitto makes one. is your trigger mech design a two piece or three?,(or more?) are you going to be able to figure out how to get a smooth pull on the trigger mathematically. or will you have to do your own adjustments through trial and error?

Im almost done with the first trigger, free time is a little short for me right now but its coming along nicely. As for the design I stick to a basic rule on everything I do "keep it simple", two pieces inside, a hybrid neptonic. Maybe after I R/D I might get creative on the next but working with stainless steel isnt my favorite material. Adjustable triggers seem to be the next demand people are asking about. Ill start a new thread on this build as soon as things progress a little.

neptonic trigger guts on outside. pins are in place.

Attachments

• jason 006.jpg
    jason 006.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 241
Great looking laminated blank there, JC.
What sort of timber did you use?
What do you hunt up in Alaska with a gun that big?
Congratulations on your workshop, certainly looks fantastic.
Cheers.

Well I was stuck with Mohog. Only thing i could find for a reasonable price. And the Halibut seen is starting to take shape here. The blank turnked out very well, right now I have it hanging in my furnace room to make sure there will be no warping.
Ill start the finishing in a month or so and if I can figure my ear problem with depth ill be gold. At 20 feet Im having alot of trouble equalizing no matter what technique i use. Flooding the ear canal helped to a point.

Jason

View attachment 26077Hello to all , two pieces triger are all very smilar
material wide is the most important, 6 mm as minimum to be on the safe side
i put a collection of trigers photos that for some time i have collected on the web
great work, we want to see the final result

Attachments

• Slide1.JPG
    Slide1.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 250
  • Slide2.JPG
    Slide2.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 233
  • trigger_parts1.jpg
    trigger_parts1.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 219
Aaaaaa, last minute dum question what grade of S steel are the trigger mechs made from?

The mechs that most people consider to be of higher quality (Alexander, Kitto, Neptonics, etc.) have heat treated 17-4 stainless trigger and sear. Some mechs that are intended only for lighter band loads use plain 316 SS guts. Not sure about the pins.

The housing itself is a little less critical. 316 SS won't get the cosmetic rust spots that less expensive 304 or 302 may get, but either is plenty strong.

Wellllll.... I have come to the conclusion the building a trigger mech isnt a difficult task but I have a good basic machine shop and in order to make a safe,high quality trigger using 17-4 SSteel the equipment that needed is too specialized. 316 is hard enough on bits and not cost effective. Now the insides of the trigger(17-4 SS) have such small areas to work and the only way that I could shape them was to grind. My grinding wheel cant handle it,too big. Sourcing the SS is hard enough let alone the guy behind the counter knowing what grade of SS he has in the pile.

Jason

why not design the triger, thake it to a specialized workshop.
cut it by laser and bend it there.
the cost per trigger should be arround 25 usd,
i made 10 and this was the price i paid trigger, i use 304 ss , and that is enought
for the pins i use 304 or 316 or ont he biger ones an old 6 mm shaft

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT