• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Never dive alone guys

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

dzav

Mar 23, 2013
Hello from Greece.

My name is Dimitrios and i make a video for safety in speargun.
Sorry for my english.
Please enjoy

Last edited by a moderator:
You won't find a bigger believer in diving with a buddy, safety, etc.

HOWEVER, no offense, but I would rather dive alone than with you, in that video!

I understand that the camera is mounted on the gun... But at 1:35 you're pointing a loaded speargun at your buddy that you're supposed to be safetying!!

Insane.

My preferred method is one loaded gun for 2 divers, each taking their turn. This encourages safety and vigilance, if only for selfish reasons.

I believe that a second / backup gun is a smart / safe move, so have it attached to your float in case a second shot is needed, or you lose the first one and don't want to end the day early.

If you must have a second gun in your hands at all times, keep the second gun unloaded!

I like to keep a foldspear on my hip, for "large predator" fending. It's 8' long, so better than a gun in that respect!

Reactions: Mata ray jay
Here's another spearfishing safety tip of what not to do:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D60-Ml67xHU&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]Knocked out by a speargun - YouTube[/ame]

:D

Nice video!

Only one point of criticism, I don't pointing guns at any people, loaded or unloaded.
I know you did it to film, but still I think it's very risky and threatening!

Suggestion, bring two camera's, 1 gun and share the fun!

Beautiful waters btw, I'm jealous of your site!

Love, Courage and Water,

Kars

I saw this at 6am and wrote something up about how strange this video was.. Was also going to suggest that you should make one called " dont point your damn gun at your partner"

Thank you all for your answers.
You are right on that we NEVER pointing our partner with our gun, but the distance was sufficiently large, and there was not the slightest danger.

Reactions: Kars
Nice to know he was out of range, but still it's not nice to have a gun pointed at a person.
I'm not looking for an excuse, there is NONE. Just don't do it again. Maybe re-edit your video, and cut out the pointing gun to partner. That is the thing to do. Actions speak.

Please understand I like the NDA idea, and the nice HD spearfishing videos, but your words of safety are contrasted by the very unsafe and impolite gun-pointing.

Adapting a video for safety is an easy thing to do, and I'm sure knowing this the next videos will grow with your growing experience.

Safe dives are shared!

Love, Courage and Water,

Kars

Reactions: landshark sa
hi friend i liked your video ,l am also from Greece , but i dive alone.its not up to me ,i like what you say but if you heared a gay from Kalamata died WITH a partner.So right couple is diff to find

Nice video!

Only one point of criticism, I don't pointing guns at any people, loaded or unloaded.
I know you did it to film, but still I think it's very risky and threatening!

Suggestion, bring two camera's, 1 gun and share the fun!

Beautiful waters btw, I'm jealous of your site!

Love, Courage and Water,

Kars

The only people I'd point a speargun at is pirates!! LOL!! ;):p

...at 1:35 you're pointing a loaded speargun at your buddy that you're supposed to be safetying!!...
Not keen on the careless pointing of load speargun @ 1.11 either - could spear a poor, unsuspecting land lubber.
But perhaps useful to be able to discuss such things.

Did a spearfishing trip with 2 guides and 4 novices including myself as a novice. Never saw a fish as I was trying to get out of Dodge all the time, what with all these loaded guns in a very small space and all our floatline in a tangled mess!

Hate to pop the bubble of something you thought was good, but I'm with Apneaddict, alone would be safer. What I saw in the vid would get you banned from my boat or anybody else I dive with.
1.You should never, ever allow your gun, loaded or not, to point directly at a diver, no matter how far away he is, ten times more if he is below you. Its a fundamental, mind set, sort of thing, that needs to be so subconscious and so strong that you physically can't do what was in that video.
2.Firing a gun that close to the surface is a great way to spear yourself if the spear goes airborne and pops back to skewer you after it hits the end of the line.
3.Loaded gun above the water line is, in almost all cases, a bad idea, inherently dangerous.

You might want to redo that one.

Last edited:
Reactions: artiz and blumon
Thank you all for your answers.
You are right on that we NEVER pointing our partner with our gun, but the distance was sufficiently large, and there was not the slightest danger.

Sometimes the gentle approach doesn't actually get the message across you 'luvverly' blokes on this thread... blunt is better and it doesn't usually get lost in translation... and not being one to pull punches...

@dzav your video is the exact opposite of "a video for safety in speargun"... it is however an exemplar video of NOT being safe with spearguns... now if your intention was indeed to ironically highlight this health & safety naivety whilst cunningly demonstrating why spearfishing alone is inherently safer, stealthier and more productive (agreed) then your video was a screaming success but I deduce I'm not the only one who thinks this may not have been the case here???

Nice creative video though so don't stop making/uploading them.. just stop pointing your loaded guns (or otherwise) at each other, on shore or underwater, distant or close and not firing near/towards the surface etc and you should be just fine! Hunting in opposite directions (after 1 gun x 2 training is over) is pretty much a standard practice too!

P.S. Mount your camera/s on your head/arm/mask etc (not on your gun) when/if you are filming each other.

accident-spearfishing-569x288.jpg

spear-accident1.jpg

Reactions: Kars
ouch! makes my privates curdle.

be nice now artiz,

If I remember right, the guy in the xray pic survived the experience. There is hope for us all.

Reactions: foxfish and artiz
ouch! makes my privates curdle.

be nice now artiz,

If I remember right, the guy in the xray pic survived the experience. There is hope for us all.

"nice" had already been done Connor so I opted for the 'blunt safety' approach instead... and mainly for the sake of others who read this thread in Spearfishing Training, Tips and Techniques.
I had hoped my post wasn't actually offensive because watching dzav's vid of spearing in Greece was amazing... the views of the sea bed and the water clarity in the Med were stunning... more please dzav?
Also dzav and his buddy looked experienced enough but by uploading their video here (as already pointed out by Mr X) it's good to discuss/ascertain consensual gun safety/weapon handling... no better place?... other than perhaps clearly stated on our respective national spearfishing association web sites that is?
The main aim being to continually minimise even the possibility of spearfishing accidents... which are detrimental for every single one of us, in one way or another!

No offence intended dzav and as Kars and cdavis pointed out in their earlier posts... entrenched weapons handling will come with experience and safe practice... crack on mate!

P.S. Always wanted/forlornly hoped for an English speaking spearo 'brother' living in Greece... nudge nudge wink wink... problem being is that I always 'dive' alone?

glad to see so many people pointed out the danger of angling guns on people.
It's one of the reasons why I instantly get out of the water and leave if I see spearfishers mucking around.

accidents happen frequently (see those nice photos), some shoot themselves or their family when just cleaning their guns...let's say I don't have much faith in the dexterity of those guys even when they think of themselves as "pro".

and btw, many guys have a "thing" with pointing their "thing" at others when they feel "threatened"
(for example when someone tells them to not point their gun at people :p )
I had that happen more than once, and let's say I don't take that kind of behaviour kindly.

I think there are a lot of people out there that really underestimate spearguns, the number of times I've seen spearo's spearing near people swimming, scuba divers and pointing guns at/near each other scares me. ( I really dislike having spearguns pointed in my direction by random people when they're hunting, it has happened a few times). Although you might think you're out of range or not going to fire a pointed gun, accidents do happen. I've heard of at least one near fatality within recent times in my area were someone was accidently shot through the chest by a buddy and all you need to do is type in a google search to see the accidents that happen.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2009-09-13/swimmer-shot-in-back-with-spear-gun/1427470

Other than that, it's looks like a lovely place to dive. Maybe as other people have suggested, mount the camera somewhere else like on your head if its small enough or unload the gun first and make some more vids to share :)

Last edited:
Reactions: artiz
Its not just spearguns. I grew up hunting with a group of men, all of whom would jump on any kids back who did not exhibit good gun habits, like not pointing the thing at others. The group disapproval was a powerful incentive to act safely. That doesn't happen anymore and you see all kinds of terrible habits by gun users.

Reactions: artiz
... I noticed that the BSA was running a competition on another thread here regarding speargun safety for anyone interested... although you may be better informed reading this thread and watching dzav's video above?
As a supposed national governing body you would have thought that the British Spearfishing Association safety guide would at least mention weapon handling/gun safety when hunting with others... but it doesn't? There is the obvious not pointing, only load underwater mentioned but hunting in opposite directions or 1 gun for 2 when training, or even not firing near/toward the surface are not dealt with... I suppose that might also be the same for the Greek equivalent association... if there is one???

How can we expect people to know even basic weapon handling with each other if no-one actually provides detailed guidance. Let's face it filming another spearo/anyone with a camera attached to your gun is not acceptable regarding any modern safety standards so should really be at the top of any/all safety guides regarding spearguns...

Perhaps we could have more suggestions/guidance here leading to a sticky... or is there one already?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT