• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New apnea software

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

JasonWelbourne

Aug 17, 2004
I got bored with the lack of movement around my former software and started doing the typical sort of modularity corrections that will make later additions much easier. I am starting a new thread because the old one was getting large. I moved seperate pieces into seperare forms and made the application MDI based. Can go lots of directions with it from here. Need some feedback from some of the people who are using new version / old version...
Still uses Apnea.txt for logging sessions. Doesn't log any part of a breath hold until the breath hold is finished. Several new timers. Multiple contraction support. Will track the initial contraction as well as how many subsequent ones occur. To start go to Session => New.

Attachments

• apnea.zip
    8.8 KB · Views: 204
A small bug fix. Fixes negative times for time remaining timers... Now they go to 0 and stop. Seems to make more sense. If someone isn't prepared to continue I don't see fit to force them. If it happens at the end of a hold, then it means they are going for the gold and deviating from the table in doing so. When they finally hit enter, it gets recorded. If they are ventilating, then either they will finish the subsequent hold and it will all get recorded, including the deviation, or they will end their session prematurely in which case it doesn't matter

Attachments

• apnea.zip
    11.5 KB · Views: 176
Just made a small change with the interface. Timers are now fixed unmoveable (other than by code) forms with no border. A little easier to read when they don't have the application focus.

Attachments

• apnea.zip
    11.7 KB · Views: 495
This is pretty neat. I don't really have the exact math for doing this, and I know it is possible to suppress a contraction, but I have added a couple of things. One, the average contraction period is computed of the course of a breath hold starting at the first contraction on. I am assuming that there is a phenomenon for people who are capable of holding long enough that before they pass the point of no return their contractions will slow or stop. That is pretty handy. I have assumed that if the current contraction period exceeds a certain amount of the average then the apneist needs to know that he is reaching the end, as they might not be thinking staright at this point. For the moment I have assumed that this amount is 2x. I have also added alarms (visual) to count down timers. I have set it to 1/10th for ventilation and apnea count down timers in the table mode, and 1/3 for the Safe Contraction period remaining timer. Try it out. See how it works for you.

I need to know if the abbreviated timers for those with no minutes, no hours are causing more readability problems than their asthetic compensation offsets.

Attachments

• apnea.zip
    12 KB · Views: 168
Contraction Sensing Mice???

This is really just experimental, but I have temporarily added a contraction sensor. It employs no error checking and will violate the object model if it detects contractions while you are not even in an apnea period, although I doubt it would generate any errors in doing so. Anyway, it is a square box in the lower right corner. To bond to it, simply click on it. The mouse will center, and the focus will return to the control pad. Sit your wireless optical mouse on you stomach and proceed normally. I can add an option to adjust it's sesnsitivity or to even train the sensor to your individual contraction style. Let me know if you get it working / need help getting it working / think I am nuts...

Attachments

• apnea.zip
    13 KB · Views: 160
Made more stuff optional:
Contraction tracking, Contraction Sensor, Contraction Sensor Sensitivity.
Fixed a couple of logic bugs...

Attachments

• apnea.zip
    13.8 KB · Views: 172
Reactions: DeepThought
Hi Jason, this is really cool! I will play around with it and give you some feedback. Hmmm, this gives me something interesting to do at work while I am on those long conference calls.

Added a cycle counter. It's a generic form, so I will add a contraction counter when I get the chance...

Attachments

• apnea.zip
    14.5 KB · Views: 154
Rebuilt some things from the ground up. In the meantime, I had to reformat, so that delayed me a bit in finishing everything up... Turns out .NET has it's own timespan object, so I decided to use it and trashed the one I had created. The ToString() function isn't quite as discriminating as the one I had written, so maybe I am moving backwards. Let me know if it sucks.

Attachments

• apnea.zip
    15.1 KB · Views: 165
Worked out the bugs in my last release. Going to start working on sound, and more hands free options... Any suggestions on a new icon or other such mundane interface changes?

Attachments

• apnea.zip
    15.1 KB · Views: 165
Added sound. Very frustrating. Kept crashing and I couldn't figure out why... Turns out I never reinstalled my sound card. Figures.

Attachments

• apnea.zip
    31 KB · Views: 177
Reactions: kingohyes
Added external configuration file back.
Sound now consists of two alarms.
Need two sound files Alarm.wav and Finished.wav

Haven't had much time, and I haven't completed anything monumentally new, but I have added some stuff I thought everyone might find useful. For one, all the counters / timers will now display correctly regardless of which options are chosen ( I think ) If anyone experiences problems with this, let me know. For comparison purposes I have included a screenshot. Also, in this version database support has been added in conjunction to txt file logging. I am working on adding a session viewer, for reveiwing progress.

Attachments

• apnea.zip
    96.5 KB · Views: 181
Any body have some better sound files to contribute? I need one for a general alarm, and one to convey the end of one cycle beggining of another. Any body have any ideas about creating a general session file format for exporting sessions from the database to send to a friend? Still need a logo. Any help would be appriciated...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT