• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New Arm Fins

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

emilius22

Jun 15, 2003
Hello,

I've just read in a magazine of German Railway (!) that new "arm fins", called "liquix", are on the market.
They where designed by a young German designer, esp. for long-distance swimmers, disabled persons and of course freedivers.
More Info: www.liquix.net

I don’t read German, but it seems to me that if they were serious about selling it to freedivers they would give some examples of how it can increase performance. Maybe some testimonials of people who’s dynamic or cb increased by so much when using the fins. Instead of showing some guy swimming around in the pool, show him doing a 150-meter dynamic.

The idea is interesting. Diving with arms by the side is not as hydrodynamic as above the head, but obviously you would be able to spread the workload out over more muscles. Would using the fins brining more muscles into play increase O2 consumption or would taking some of the load off the leg muscles counter this? Not having the stress of hold the arms above the head for a couple of minutes should have some advantages as well.

A person should obliviously be able swim faster, but would this be a benefit in distance. The idea seems too simple to not have been tried before. I think I will try some dynamics with my wife’s fins on my hands the next trip to the pool.

As usually I can’t get into the AIDA International web site to check the rules, but I’m pretty sure there isn’t a rule that would stop their use in dynamic. CB on the other hand, has an “only” equipment rule for meets that might prevent their use.
Thanks for info and link.
don

Not yet in production

Hi,

recently I contacted the Designer of the fins. They are still an Idea! There are just some prototypes and there is still no production of theme but he is looking for a manufacturer...

Cheers, Carsten

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT