• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New boat opinions...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Mattedhead

Drying up inland...
Aug 28, 2002
I am looking to buy a boat in the fall, and I figured I would pick the brain of the current boat owners out there.

I am looking to get a cat...after spending time in them over the past couple of years, there is little hope of convincing me to purchase a monohull. With that said I am looking for a boat in the 23-26' range capable of running to the Gulf Stream in less than ideal conditions. I have looked at World Cat, Glacier Bay, ProKat, Leader, SeaCat, and TwinVee. So far the twin vee has struck me as the best boat for the money, and it appears to be very well set-up for freediving/spearfishing.

Does anyone have any experience + or - with TwinVee boats? The only downfall I have seen thusfar is the lack of below deck fishboxes. Not too big of a deal, a monster igloo cooler will work just fine as there are two other coolers available as options on the boat. I have heard some negative comments on the low freeboard....i kind of like the idea, easy in and very easy out if situations call for a quick entry into the boat.

The positives I have seen thusfar:
-lifetime hull warranty
-completely foam filled
-self bailing
-runs 45mph+ with T140 Suzuki Four Strokes
-super quiet and efficient
-tons of factory options so it will be easy to set up for freediving
-light enough to trailer with my current truck
-I hear they ride softer than other cats
-SeaTow uses them...and that says quite a bit
-Less than 2/3 the cost of some of the other cats
-Lower maintenance interior
-Will comfortably carry six divers....everyone gets a padded seat!

If you have any suggestions or comments please let me know. Thanks in advance....

matt

why not a trimaran? if you like the stability of catamarans a trimaran should sound even better to you.

dont let people lie and tell you a twinn vee rides softer. It uses twin planing hulls and rides on top of the water. It also has a comparatively shallow tunnel which is what softens the ride.

A charter buddy of mine has a 26 twinn vee and I have dove of it a couple of times and it is a good boat but when its rough out he leaves it at the dock and takes a 26 glacier bay.

The big name cats rank like this(the ones I have been on at least)
ride quality
1. Glacier Bay - displacement hulls, unbelievable, a staple in the bluewater charters out of the mouth of the river.
2. World Cat - semi displacement hulls, faster than the Glacier Bay
3. Twinn Vee - planning hulls, faster still with less power but much les ride quality in a mean sea, great price comparatively.

I have been on the 26' model of all of the above. I have also been on the 36 ft pro-kat and I would rank company quality between a W.C and a T.V.

The biggest savings on a twinn vee is in fit and finish...which doesnt matter to me anyway(like gelcoat interiors ect.)

I have a 27' Prokat walkaround with twin Hondas 130s. It is a very good ride and I have taken it out of the Boca inlet with some good swells. Maybe the finish is not as good as a WC or GB but you are looking to save 30 G's for an equivalent model. I really don't like the low freeboard of the Twin Vees.
Scott's 22' Leader is also an excellent dive boat but they are out of business. I think Prosports bought their mold so maybe you should look at the new Prokats (yes, I am a bit partial). And BTW, don't go crazy with the HPs. My boat rides just fine with the 130's (25 knots at 4000 rpm). Unless you are a speed demon but you won't be able to utilize them as much as you think anyway. Good luck with you choice.

Angelos

Reactions: Mattedhead
Thanks for the info...there is a used ProKat 26(or 28') at a good price right now. I have been on one at the dock and actually like the console much better than the GB. I really like the way the tuna door is set up as well.

Thanks again-
Matt

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT