• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New camera mount

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
"Wow" isn't it just amazing what you can buy nowadays!!
I am a gadget man & I must say I am impressed that someone has gone to such extremes to produce things like that.
Has anyone actually bought one?

Problem with the camera mount is there's no way to press the buttons or compose the shots/line up the video with it perched on top of your head!

the camera mount is more designed for video not stills, and for this it will be quite good, although the remaining design is crazy! why on earth would you want to wear a monster helmet to go snorkelling, having a perfect dy top is not that important that you have to resort to this. not to mention looking like a complete morron.

lost of inovation but for no real life gains. i'd get rid of the snorjel assemply streamline the helmet and use it for video and lights etc, much more useful pesonally.

DD

Even videoing you need to press buttons and see what you're recording. Short of having a monocle setup like skydiver cameramen use and a remote control I really think it's a pants idea.

I see they make three different versions.

The camera only idea might not be to bad, but the snorkel is just crazy. IF you look at the separate shots of the snorkel is has two hoses (like a rebreather) and four valves. It has separate inhale and exhale tubes with a lot of extra drag and commotion. It looks to be a bit over-engineered to me.

I'm still waiting to hear from Cigarlung on how well his Go-pro camera works. HE bought the new one with 5 MP and the 170 degree wide angle lens. The thing is tiny and they make a wide variety of different mounts to go with it.

Jon

But those things must of cost so much money to produce - who is going to buy a snorkel helmet with four valves? I want to know more, they dont explain the benifits, can there be any?
I can see the logic of a helmet cam but its the snorkel helmet that beats me.

Last edited:
The VEEcam is the video camera of choice for freedivers, scuba divers and spear fishers. Rated to 100m of depth, it is:

blue-bullet.gif
A detachable mini camera for mounting to your goggles, helmet or sports equipment
blue-bullet.gif
A pocket sized console for the capture and viewing of video and stills
blue-bullet.gif
Capture up to 8 hours of high quality skip free digital Video or 8000 stills
sports-pic02.jpg
blue-bullet.gif
View live and recorded video on high quality 2.4” integral TFT LCD screen or external TV/monitor
blue-bullet.gif
Easily download and edit recorded video on a PC via USB2
blue-bullet.gif
Upload and listen to MP3 music files

The mini-camera attaches to the top of the Ozeon HM100, QV360 or PV360, with the diver being able to "view" the camera through the LCD screen. Divers control the recording through the pocket sized console which can be attached to the waist.

The inspiration for the Ozeon (www.ozeonsnorkeling.com) line of head mounted dive systems started with the goal of enabling a "hands-free" dive experience for scuba divers, spear fishers, wreck divers, search & rescue, and military (Coast Guard and Navy). The result was the HM100, QV360 and PV360.

The HM100 is a head mount with a soft-rubber undermold to snuggly attach to a diver's head and attach to their masks via a strap system, with a camera / light mount on top. The VEEcam features a mini-cam that mounts on the top and a pocket sized detachable control unit for viewing and controlling the video and still pictures.

For those who want the ultimate snorkeling experience, which would not be freedivers (they would want the HM100), with 100% fresh air and an ultimate dry top that stays dry even doing somersaults underwater, there is the QV360 (quad valve, dual tube). Snorkelers at resorts would enjoy it.

For divers who want a portable snorkel, ie one that they can put into a pocket and stowaway during dives, there is the PV360. Like the QV360, it can detach. Being a single, flexible tube, is can be easily collapsed and stored away. The snorkel itself detaches, and can stored, too.

We believe that the HM100 base, which is common to the QV360 and PV360, too, is the beginning of a whole new wave of 21st century dive technology, as it provides a platform for innovation.

At DEMA 2008, the military was very interested in it for both search & rescue operations, and strategic operations.

OK, thanks for explaining, can you show us any "real life" pics ?
I would like to see the system actually being worn. :)

Any forum member use the camera featured on the above site (Oregon ATC2K) or similar? That looks unusually small, neat, cheap & cheerful (e.g. http://forums.deeperblue.com/freedive-photography/82027-new-camera-mount.html#post754284) - quite a bit smaller than most of the fairly serious looking digital stills cameras forum members seem to use. Or is it just one of those poor quality webcams?

Looks like it could be mask mounted or speargun mounted without too much problem.

:)confused:I reckon the snorkel is intended to be used as part of a SCUBA rig).

New Oregon ATC3K, waterproof to 5m, review:

Comparison with higher spec. alternative Tachyon XC [more expensive but looks better, esp. if diving]:

Last edited by a moderator:
same specs as the gopro but with better mounts. one problem with the gopro is the picture is "soft" I wonder how sharp this one is

Someone mentioned on one of the other threads (not sure which one) if the 3M sticky pads with the hero cameras were good enough for using on their speargun. I got a hero 5 for christmas and then the motorsports pack for my birthday so have been looking at how to set it up.

On my Venom 90 the 3M stick pads suck really well and felt quite secure. The only problem was that not all of the pad was in contact with the handle due the shape. I did decide to make it even better by using sikafelx pumped into the small gaps and then all around the edge. Everything is on really tight and with the camera on the quick release mount i can't see any movement. (see the pics below)

On my Rob Allen 110 the 3M pad did not sick at all! I did try a small blob of Sikaflex on both the handle and the back of the hero quick release fitting last night and today it was on tight! After using a blade i cut off the sikaflex and have now used it to secure the fitting onto my Rob Allen handle. Just waiting now for it to cure.

I have not tried the venom in the water yet but if i encounter any problems i will let you know. So in answer to the question on the other thread, the pads seem ok but if used with some form of marine adhesive they are geat!

Attachments

• Image018.jpg
    Image018.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 179
  • Image022.jpg
    Image022.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 174
  • Image023.jpg
    Image023.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 159
Reactions: Mr. X
I just finished bodging a new camera mount for my short gun. i wanted to use a quick release so that i can remove the camera from the gun whilst underwater - for those macro shots and better picture taking - also so that i cam photo people without pointing a gun at them!
so i took the head off an old dixons cheapo tripod - ground off the chamfer on the bottom so that it would mount level. I used a 1" x 1" x 2mm 'L' angle aluminium which i folded to make a 'bar' for the main part of the bracket (couldnt find any suitable proper alu bar).
with only bodging tools - a vice and pliers, i 'folded' the alu bar as best as i could to fit the gun in way of the reel. There is a plug inside the gun barrel to prevent water ingress, and the bolts for the bracket are behind that, so no new leaks in the barrel.
the low camera position doesnt seem to get in the way of the aim.
It's stiffer than my previous arrangement and the quick release should be good...
I will also add an extra section of bar on the right hand side to attach my diving compass - i find it very handy on those low-vis night dives.
Here's some pics:

Last edited:
Reactions: mishu1984
Ozeon HM100

Ozeon has posted a video featuring the HM100 on youtube.com

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-LtdFz_6KM]YouTube - Ozeon HM100[/ame]

The video displays and explains the product, including attachment to dive mask, mounting on head, attachment of portable accessories such as lights and video cameras, and its use.

Interesting head mount Ozean. It might offer some useful head protection for those diving around piers or around Chesil drain pipe too.

Saw an ad in Saturday's Daily Telegraph for the new Olympus uTough-6000 / London Camera Exchange - sounds interesting, bit pricey:

"Olympus uTough-6000
Do not handle with care!

Miniaturised optics, Maximum brilliance.
Shockproof to 1.5m, waterproof to 3m and freezeproof to -10c
Dual Image Stabilisation for blur-free images
TAP Control feature
3.6X wide zoom
10Mpixel res.
£269.99"

There is also a description of higher spec. but less robust model, u-9000 (10x, 12Mpixel, Intelligent Auto Mode) £300.

I read some reviews for digital compacts few years ago and it seemed like the Canon Powershots were the one to go for. Several friends(some owned Sony cameras) told me to avoid Sony as they use non-standard memory. However, I like Olympus for 35mm cameras -- anybody tried their digital cameras? I've had good luck with the old Olympus Infinity compact 35mm camera for climbing (small, tough, point-&-click, good pictures). Probably taken a couple of hundred films with it. I briefly owned a used Olympus XA too, which was v. popular with climbing photographers (manual override & back-stop button) - but realised I would never use it, the infinity was so convenient. Years ago, the old Olympus OM10 SLR (with optional manual override) was the recommended 35mm camera for many art courses. The old compact 35mm Olympus Trip also took incredibly crisp pictures. So good track record with optics & photography but did they make a success transition to digital?

Last edited:
They did for a while. I used to own an Olympus 5050 and it was the camera to get for a while.

Unfortunately, digital cameras change so fast that it no longer the top dog. From what I've read on the camera forums the Canon G10 seems to be the one to get these days- although Sea&sea just upgraded their DX-1G with the DX-2G. They sat it will be a good competitor to the G10.

These are all digital compacts and not the DSLR's that cost as much as a small car.

Here's a pretty good article on what's out there for right now.
Underwater Camera Articles: Review: Best Underwater Point & Shoot Cameras for 2009

Jon

Reactions: Mr. X
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT