• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New Deeperblue and Diving

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

TitoLFCDive

Jul 31, 2023
It was suggested that I post and say hello. Hello!!

I'm new to diving, so new in fact I have never been beyond a pool at my dad's house, yet and I'm trying to understand how best to approach this whole experience. I don't exactly live close to diving locations so that's why I'm trying to learn more and connect with others to best understand how someone without bags of money or readily available dive spots can get involved and become a diver.

Just a little about me, I'm 35 and obsessed with water (played water polo, did swimming, and generally love being in it) and have wanted to dive for 15+ years, just had other obligations get in the way (aka children). Hopefully this site and others will be my salvation and I can find a path to diving and getting into the deeperblue (what a lame joke lol).

Thanks y'all,

Ttito

It's hard to know where to start. Let's start with your location. Your profile says Northern California. Could you be more specific? You're going to need a good wet suit, at least 5 mm and probably 7 mm. You'll need a weight belt to sink that wet suit and of course a mask and fins. If you want to spearfish most of the fish up there are relatively small and a lot of them are in holes. Maybe a 70 mm gun would be a good start. You should try to find a beginner freedive course. It would cover all the basics and teach you how to be safe so you come home to those kids. There is an active club in Monterrey. If you are north of the Bay Area I think I've heard of a club but I can't recall the name now.

Reactions: Mr. X
It's hard to know where to start. Let's start with your location. Your profile says Northern California. Could you be more specific? You're going to need a good wet suit, at least 5 mm and probably 7 mm. You'll need a weight belt to sink that wet suit and of course a mask and fins. If you want to spearfish most of the fish up there are relatively small and a lot of them are in holes. Maybe a 70 mm gun would be a good start. You should try to find a beginner freedive course. It would cover all the basics and teach you how to be safe so you come home to those kids. There is an active club in Monterrey. If you are north of the Bay Area I think I've heard of a club but I can't recall the name now.
I'm near Sacramento, so it seems like Bay Area, or Santa Cruz would be closest spots. I'm mostly focused on scuba diving but am not against any type of water activity like spearfishing, I just enjoy being in the water. I need to look for local spots I can dive, even if just a quarry or something. Any suggestion on where to buy the gear and which brands?

My son lives in Loomis but I've never visited the dive shops in Sacramento. Googling Sacramento dive shops gets me three hits though. If you want to scuba you're definitely going to need a certification course. I bought my first scuba gear in 1954 when I was 15 but I switched to freediving only about 25 years ago so I'm a bit out of date on brands. Check with dive shops near you about courses and I'm sure they will have recommendations for gear and be glad to sell you some. :)

My son lives in Loomis but I've never visited the dive shops in Sacramento. Googling Sacramento dive shops gets me three hits though. If you want to scuba you're definitely going to need a certification course. I bought my first scuba gear in 1954 when I was 15 but I switched to freediving only about 25 years ago so I'm a bit out of date on brands. Check with dive shops near you about courses and I'm sure they will have recommendations for gear and be glad to sell you some. :)
Dolphin Scuba Center has been highly recommended and I'm definitely going to check them out. My worry is getting certified and not going often enough to keep everything fresh and flowing. I may need to just push myself to figure dives out. Been reading and learning as much as I can. I appreciate you reaching out with the helpful advice.

Well, maybe so. You Brits imposed that Imperial measurement system on us in the colonies, and now its hard for us to catch up with the rest of the world.:)

Reactions: Mr. X
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT