• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New Design and Forum Software Upgraded

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Stephan Whelan

Papa Smurf
Staff member
Admin
Jan 7, 1999
Hi everyone - as you may have noticed we have upgraded the software and improved the theme (to bring it in line with the rest of the site) which just went live.

To help everyone here are some of the new features:

Greatly-enhanced mobile-friendly style

The new style is the first thing you will notice. The entire style has been redesigned with a fresh new appearance, but also with mobile browsing at the forefront of the design. When the screen size shrinks, on-page content shrinks, shifts and reorganizes itself automatically to optimize the browsing experience for small displays.

A sticky header automatically activates when the window is scrolled, allowing the most important navigation controls to remain available at all times.

* Don't worry TapaTalk functionality is still there should you prefer to use that, but now you can have a great experience on a mobile device with or without a third-party app.

Emoji support ✍️

All textual content now supports emoji, from message text to forum titles.

Retina avatar and smilie support

Avatars and smilies now support high-DPI imagery, allowing for a crisp, high-resolution display to match the text on displays that support 2x resolution graphics, such as Apple's retina displays.

Enhanced message editing

Rather than opening an overlay, editing messages are now done entirely in-place, with the content of messages replaced by a full-fledged message editor that allows the complete range of editing and posting actions, including attachment management.

Alerts in favicon

When new alerts or unread conversation messages are available, the site icon (shown in the browser title bar) will have a badge added to it, showing that there are items waiting to be viewed.

Member tooltip

The member card (shown to the left of all posts) has been replaced with a new member tooltip, which appears on the first click on a member's name. A further click will load the member's full profile page.

What’s New and Find Threads

To aid in content discovery, the new software has a brand new 'What's new' system, which can fetch new content from all sources across the system, including threads and posts, profile posts, and media items.

Additionally, a new Find threads system provides quick links to unanswered threads (with no replies), threads you have started, and threads in which you have posted.

New media embedding features

The BB Code Media system has been significantly enhanced, and now supports embedding Facebook posts, Tweets, Instagram photos, Reddit posts and comments, Spotify and Soundcloud tracks, albums, and playlists and a whole host of others.

Quick thread

Quick Thread is a brand new system for the new software. Above the list of threads on a forum page you will find a title entry box. Focusing this box and starting to type a thread title will load a quick message editor, in which you can post the content for the first post of your new thread. Hitting the save button will then post the thread, leaving you on the forum page rather than redirecting you to the thread page. This makes the process of creating a new simple thread extremely quick and easy.

These are just some of the new features along with the new design. As with any upgrade there may be snagging issues. Do let us know in this thread if you find anything.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hej Stephan,

Tapatalk not working.

I really appreciate you guys doing a great job keeping the forum fresh and well functioning, but would it not be a great idea to give the forum members a heads up before any updates? Like a email saying “we’re gonna be updating the next 24hrs or so, so you might experience some downtime”?
Now it’s just random downtime, and every time I think it is just a problem logging in (on Tapa) and I try to figure it out, thinking I forgot the password, ordering a new password etc. Kind of annoying when I finally get to find out it was just a update and you could just have told me what was going on. :)

Lol. Obviously it started working directly as I posted the post above this! :D

Hey SubSub - just to let you know that Tapatalk is a third party product and service. It has been installed and working from our side for years now. The forums only had about 2 hours downtime from the upgrade so if you are having issues with Tapatalk it is likely their service rather than the forums.

Agree on the email about the heads up - will make sure next time.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Stephan,

Yeah, I know Tapatalk is a 3rd party app. It seems that every time the forum updates there is a following snag with Tapa that restricts access to the forum, and doesn't show anything in the forum. Don't know where the problem lies, but all other forums is working like normal meanwhile. It's not a biggie, but I thought I'd let you know.

:)

Hey Stephan,

Yeah, I know Tapatalk is a 3rd party app. It seems that every time the forum updates there is a following snag with Tapa that restricts access to the forum, and doesn't show anything in the forum. Don't know where the problem lies, but all other forums is working like normal meanwhile. It's not a biggie, but I thought I'd let you know.

:)

Hey SubSub - sadly Tapatalk (from a forum owner perspective) is quite a sensitive plugin. We keep it up to date and always working correctly but the Tapatalk software doesn’t always seem to work properly. Not much I can do but nag the developers :)

Stephen:

The upgrade looks GREAT. Only question I have, is it possible to make the basic blue font a little darker to provide better contrast and possibly easier reading?

Stephen:

The upgrade looks GREAT. Only question I have, is it possible to make the basic blue font a little darker to provide better contrast and possibly easier reading?
I would vote for that too. It just looks wimpy.

Which basic blue? The basic font is black.

The only blues used are in some menu items or unread post title on forum thread lists.

If you can be more specific I can look to tweak

Yes those make it harder to read and that light blue background around New Posts is annoying for some reason. But maybe it’s just my dark personality.

Attachments

• 3987696C-0F5D-42EB-B418-773072F53B7A.png
    3987696C-0F5D-42EB-B418-773072F53B7A.png
    213.1 KB · Views: 352
Yes those make it harder to read and that light blue background around New Posts is annoying for some reason. But maybe it’s just my dark personality.View attachment 52148
Which basic blue? The basic font is black.

The only blues used are in some menu items or unread post title on forum thread lists.

If you can be more specific I can look to tweak

i try to attach a screen shot but it won’t let me.View attachment 52148

I agree, the blue font is a little too light, hard to read in bright conditions.

Capture.JPG

I’ll take a look folks - see what colour combo might work

Apologies if i have missed the obvious, but how do I "search" for a topic?
For example, I'd like to search "how to search" but where do I start?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT