• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New Discipline? Apnea Rubik's Cube

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

commonerg

Half Man, Half Chlorine
Jun 3, 2004
Tomas (Venecosurf) and I had a blast at pool training today. I had in mind to do a 125m No Fin video but we scrapped that because he couldn't spot me and film at the same time. :duh

Out came the Cube! :cool: It's not very good quality, I know... and you can't actually see the cube (or me) that well. It was sort of an impromptu video. But, either way, it's a fun video. Enjoy :)

Cube solve + 50m no fin.
http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gtg888r/Greg50mRubiks.wmv

Last edited:
I have heard of this category before. The best performance I heard of was solving 4 cubes underwater on one breath, which took 4 minutes.

I used to be able to solve it on average in 35 seconds -- that would make about 10 cubes in 6 minutes....

Mike (Freedivinmike) gave me the idea. He mentioned a friend of his used to do the same... solving the cube underwater. It's a real crowd pleaser.

It's hard for me to relax while I am cubing and the bit of energy output really decreases my hold time. I have managed on several occasions to solve two while holding (takes around 4:00), where my statics usually fall between 6-7 minutes. I just use a basic layer by layer technique. No fancy speed cube stuff.

Last edited:
Thanks for the credit for the idea Greg. I am in FreeFloats boat on being able to solve the darn thing. The only way I can do it is to pull it apart and put it back together and that still takes forever. Great vid and cool music!

Reactions: commonerg
My compliments for the new dicipline. :)
How 'bout first doing the 50 meter dynamic and then solving the cube?
Should be much more entertaining to see and probably better for your apnea skills.

What was the song in the movie by the way? I think the voice sounded familier...

DeepThought said:
My compliments for the new dicipline. :)
How 'bout first doing the 50 meter dynamic and then solving the cube?

What was the song in the movie by the way?
:)
Thanks for the idea. I actually ended up trying it a few different ways including doing the 50m dynamic first, doing 25-solve cube-25, and actually solving the cube while I was swimming. The latter was a lot of fun and looked great in the water, but I had trouble staying underwater even with my neck weight. As for doing the dynamic first, it was a bit harder for me to concentrate on the cube and I failed a few times after I misturned the cube and couldn't correct my mistake quickly enough. :head

I will continue to play around with this at practice, and maybe put up some more videos. As soon as I bring my weight belt to school, I think I will defiantly try to get a video, solving it while I swim.

DeepThought said:
What was the song in the movie by the way?
Such Great Heights by Postal Service
:p
Also check out the Iron and Wine version.

kingohyes said:
actually I took up the cube again 1 month ago
It's amazing how the cube seems to beg for attention when you see it laying dormant in your desk drawer. :)

HEY!! whats up !! i was the guy filming it !! It was great, we have an awesome day at the pool....and i'm sorry for those fingers and final look at the cube....

I was pretty amazed about how fast that 50 meters was going :) But yes, the rubik's cube got some new attention today...

Ahh yes... the 39 second 50. Quite a bit above my usual pace. I guess I wasn't as relaxed as usual. The old competitive swimmer in me coming out.

Let me know how the cube is coming. Maybe we can share tips.

It does open up a whole new side of apnea .What about rubiks constant weight or No limits rubiks . I can imagine it now Loic going down to 180 or 190 doing multiple cubes . Hey what about straight jacket escape constant weight? :duh . Id like to see that rofl

It would be kind of fun to take friendly challenges/bets on different, sort of silly, apnea activities. (With proper safety precautions. :blackeye )

For example... :)
[ame="http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?t=57851"]some freediving fun[/ame]

I'll brainstorm on that...

Any ideas?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT