• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New discovery of WWII wrecks in Libya

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hi Sara
This is a briefly story of our discovery of the HMS wreck in Tripoli-Libya
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The story of Discovering a wreck of the Royal Navy WWII submarine
Off shore of Libyan cost and during WWII British submarines patrol our coast hunting for the German and Italian convoy supply ships.
So close to our coast no one had idea for the locations of such wrecks.
One day in April 1999 a friend fisherman loses his net, snag by something on the bottom.
I decided to explore the site , so I planed a deep dive ~ around 70 m with a support diver , for about more than hour sailing ,we started our search, but something wasn't right, there was nothing at the position that was given to us , we tried to extend the search area ,
After a longer search, a mass of red and white pixels appeared on the sounder screen, it looked like a wreck, the search had lasted about one hour until finally we threw a marker buoy over it.
We observed spots of fuel at the surface coming up from the bottom which insured that it’s a wreck.
As we attached the decompression station and spare deco bottles, I started to assemble the cylinders with the right gas mix and checked all the equipment twice.
Then we started descending into the depths, something I have done so many times before, my desire to discover the mystery , water was so clear that suddenly, the first thing that I saw was an open hatch.
It was a submarine, the wreck laid standing on its hull on the bottom little angled to port side, and the bow was totally damaged most likely by an explosion.
Large parts of the bow covered with fishing nets, and angled about 90 degrees to port side.
We examined the bow that was badly blown, swimming toward the stern the forward deck gun still standing covered with marine growth and sponge in front of the conning tower ready for action, looking from bow to stern the wreck was in perfect condition.
As I looked down through the conning tower hatch, I found the ladder still attached to the open hatch.
Over the next few dives we continued the exploration of the stern, the most impressive thing are the two propellers with the rudder.
The engine hatch was open and the ladder is still attached to the hatch as a clear evidence for the attempt to escape.
For 8 years now, myself as team leader tried to learn and work hard with the team to identify the wreck.
We proved that this wreck was Royal Navy HMS U class submarine, but no one knows which one ?
After 9th years we were able to identify the wreck as the Royal Navy HMS P32 U-class submarine.
The submarine left Malta on[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/August_12"]12 August[/ame][ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1941"]1941[/ame]for a patrol area near[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tripoli"]Tripoli[/ame] Libya, On the 18 August she spotted a small Italian convoy protected by destroyers and torpedo boats heading towards the port.
The submarine rose to periscope depth to made proper position to attack. A mine, part of the minefield, exploded against her port side and flooded the forward portion of the boat forward of the control room, killing the 8 crew members in that part of the boat.
The submarine sank to the seabed. Most of the 24 survivors retired to the engine room to attempt an escape.
Coxswain Abdy, Petty Officer Kirk and ERA Martin attempted to escape using the conning tower. Martin was killed in the attempt but the other two crew survived and were picked up by an Italian ship. No other crew members survived.
Due to the belief that the escape hatch was a weak point during heavy depth charging it was fairly standard for an iron bar to be welded over the escape hatches of HM submarines on active duty.

As we found the engine hatch open and the ladder attached,
So the theory of welded iron bar over the hatch during duty needs further investigation with the official historic version.
Arebi​

Last edited:
Reactions: SurfnSpear
hey Arebi that's amazing. I am sure that would be an excellent trip to sell to trimix divers. What do the currents get like there? The U-533 here in the Emirates is at 110metres but sometimes the guys cant get down there due to strong currents and have a aborted the dive a few times.

hi sara
the currents is not that strong, depend on the season, as well we still have alot of deep wrecks start from 56m, 76m,82m, 86, 92, 97, 108m depth.......
Arebi

her is some larger photos of the discoverey story of the HMS Submarine Wreck in Tripoli-Libya

Attachments

• HMS U Class prop.JPG
    HMS U Class prop.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 321
  • HMS U Class Fron gun.JPG
    HMS U Class Fron gun.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 297
  • HMS Conning tower hatch.JPG
    HMS Conning tower hatch.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 335
  • prepear to dive 1.JPG
    prepear to dive 1.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 332
Last edited:
Dear buddy
This is a copy of the massage that we have received yesterday from one of the loved relatives of the HMS P32 lost crews :

I was very touched to read your story on this website. My father was W H Martin the submarine ERA who was lost after escaping from the conning tower of the P32.

We have done some research on this for our family but never expected to see photographs of the conning tower hatch that he struggled so hard to open in his determination to escape.
My mother told me that he was never a good swimmer and to reach the surface from the seabed was just too much. I was a small child at the time and so have no memory of him but my mother remained in love with him all her life until her death 10 years ago.

Thank you Arebi for doing this research after all this time and showing us where a much loved man spent his last moments trying to get back to his beloved family.

This is always a very poignant time for us with Remembrance Sunday being this weekend and just a month away from his birthday - when he would have been 99.

Thank you again and may the submariners who did not escape from the ship rest in peace.

Pamela

hey that's amazing Arebi - great to get some response as well. Did you know that the U-533 in fujairah had one survivor who actually made it and swam over 28 nautical miles back to shore? He died only a couple of years back, lived to over 70 to tell his tale.

Dear buddy
This is a copy of the massage that we have received yesterday from one of the loved relatives of the HMS P32 lost crews :[/COLOR

I was very touched to read your story on this website. My father was W H Martin the submarine ERA who was lost after escaping from the conning tower of the P32.

We have done some research on this for our family but never expected to see photographs of the conning tower hatch that he struggled so hard to open in his determination to escape.
My mother told me that he was never a good swimmer and to reach the surface from the seabed was just too much. I was a small child at the time and so have no memory of him but my mother remained in love with him all her life until her death 10 years ago.

Thank you Arebi for doing this research after all this time and showing us where a much loved man spent his last moments trying to get back to his beloved family.

This is always a very poignant time for us with Remembrance Sunday being this weekend and just a month away from his birthday - when he would have been 99.

Thank you again and may the submariners who did not escape from the ship rest in peace.

Pamela

Hi Sara

This is a briefly story of our discovery of the HMS wreck in Tripoli-Libya
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The story of Discovering a wreck of the Royal Navy WWII submarine
Off shore of Libyan cost and during WWII British submarines patrol our coast hunting for the German and Italian convoy supply ships.
So close to our coast no one had idea for the locations of such wrecks.
One day in April 1999 a friend fisherman loses his net, snag by something on the bottom.
I decided to explore the site , so I planed a deep dive ~ around 70 m with a support diver , for about more than hour sailing ,we started our search, but something wasn't right, there was nothing at the position that was given to us , we tried to extend the search area ,
After a longer search, a mass of red and white pixels appeared on the sounder screen, it looked like a wreck, the search had lasted about one hour until finally we threw a marker buoy over it.
We observed spots of fuel at the surface coming up from the bottom which insured that it’s a wreck.
As we attached the decompression station and spare deco bottles, I started to assemble the cylinders with the right gas mix and checked all the equipment twice.
Then we started descending into the depths, something I have done so many times before, my desire to discover the mystery , water was so clear that suddenly, the first thing that I saw was an open hatch.
It was a submarine, the wreck laid standing on its hull on the bottom little angled to port side, and the bow was totally damaged most likely by an explosion.
Large parts of the bow covered with fishing nets, and angled about 90 degrees to port side.
We examined the bow that was badly blown, swimming toward the stern the forward deck gun still standing covered with marine growth and sponge in front of the conning tower ready for action, looking from bow to stern the wreck was in perfect condition.
As I looked down through the conning tower hatch, I found the ladder still attached to the open hatch.
Over the next few dives we continued the exploration of the stern, the most impressive thing are the two propellers with the rudder.
The engine hatch was open and the ladder is still attached to the hatch as a clear evidence for the attempt to escape.
For 8 years now, myself as team leader tried to learn and work hard with the team to identify the wreck.
We proved that this wreck was Royal Navy HMS U class submarine, but no one knows which one ?
After 9th years we were able to identify the wreck as the Royal Navy HMS P32 U-class submarine.
The submarine left Malta on12 August1941for a patrol area nearTripoli Libya, On the 18 August she spotted a small Italian convoy protected by destroyers and torpedo boats heading towards the port.
The submarine rose to periscope depth to made proper position to attack. A mine, part of the minefield, exploded against her port side and flooded the forward portion of the boat forward of the control room, killing the 8 crew members in that part of the boat.
The submarine sank to the seabed. Most of the 24 survivors retired to the engine room to attempt an escape.
Coxswain Abdy, Petty Officer Kirk and ERA Martin attempted to escape using the conning tower. Martin was killed in the attempt but the other two crew survived and were picked up by an Italian ship. No other crew members survived.
Due to the belief that the escape hatch was a weak point during heavy depth charging it was fairly standard for an iron bar to be welded over the escape hatches of HM submarines on active duty.

As we found the engine hatch open and the ladder attached,
So the theory of welded iron bar over the hatch during duty needs further investigation with the official historic version.

Arebi​

16 years of patience finally paid off, great story, congratulations on Your success

I wish you all very merry christmas and happy new year :inlove :)

Arebi

On our last survey dives on the wreck we discover a lunched torpedo at Starboard side, ready to fire.
The submarine was planning to attack the Axis convoy before it hit a mine on port side.
:cool:

Attachments

• Torpedo Forum.JPG
    Torpedo Forum.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 301
Last edited:
Sallamo Aleikom Arebi !!..
so what kind of diving do you do in libya? only tech diving/wrecks etc.... do you do any spearfishing there? where in Libya tell us more....

Alikom Asalam
thanks Maroan for your post, we do recreational scuba diving,PADI courses... as well we do deep tec diving for exploring historical wrecks, we have nice diving sites along our coast, but most of the discovered area was near tripoli, sea temp in winter time drop to 15c and 28c in the summer, good vis depend on the area, alot of fish, amberjac, groupers, snap....specialy on the remote sites.. out side Tripoli...
keep in touch PM
thanks..
Arebi

do you need a boat/zodiac to access most of the site or can you do some shore diving too

depend on depth you plan to dive, some shore dives max depth 20m !! @ Tripoli area, but most of the interesting scuba sites..wrecks, walls, reefs should be using boat..

Reactions: Marwan
Sallamo Aleikom Moah,
Congratulation Arebi, and well done. Finaly your great effort all these years has paid off, i have read all story of the discovery and it is amazing, i enjoyed it allot. We are very proud of you here in libya.
Dive save and see you soon
Omer

Dear All,

This is probably not the most appropriate thread to post on,
but i'm trying to get in touch with professional diving instructors
in Libya.

I'm working in Tripoli until Autumn and would
like to learn diving through PADI centre. Please
do post or email any contact details if you know about one.

Best regards,

MK

A surprise at receiving a new massage last month from relative of L/ Sto H Edwards how’s lost his life in the submarine P32…
------------------------------

Hello Arebi,

On behalf of the family of L/Sto Harold Edwards serving on the P32 - We are writing with great thanks for your hard work and dedication, in finding the final resting place of the Submarine. We were impressed with the photographs and the information you have provided.
Sadly my Grandfather left a loving wife and a young family of 3 Girls behind - we hold great fondness/pride in our hearts for him.

We would like to send our condolence to all those family’s who lost their loved ones at that sad time.

If anyone has any other information - we are providing details of our Grandfather and of the Submarine to a local museum in Cornwall - Davidstowe Airfield (opening on June 14th 08) - we would be happy to hear from you.
Please e-mail us.

Thank you once again Arebi
Vanessa Donoghue - L/Sto H Edwards Grand Daughter

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT