• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New discovery of WWII wrecks in Libya

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hello Arebi,

Well done on the discoveries. I am from neighbouring Malta where we have our share of wrecks. Being so close to you I have always wished to dive in Libya. It was a pleasant surprise to read your posts and visit your website - you seem to be very well equipped. I hope to join you diving some of the wrecks in your waters soon.

In the meantime, if you need help with the identification of any other wrecks, I have British friends who may be able to help out.

Regards

Brian

Hello brian

thanks for your post, I started my diving in malta, and I have alot of frineds their.
I will be in contact with you by PM. :)

regards
Arebi

Family reacted to our discovery of the HMS P32 submarine in Libya

Dear Arebi,

Thank you so much for finding the resting place of my beloved uncle P.O. Wallace Charles Barrow who was in charge of the torpedoes on board the submarine.
His mother and sister, my mother, are no longer alive but I thank you on behalf of all my family for the respectful way you have reported this find.
To actually have a resting place even after so many years is a great comfort, and who knows, perhaps we may even be able to visit and pay our respects one day.

Thank you again.

Janet Milarski Niece

Wow that's a nice letter Arebi. Have you done any more of these dives recently?

We are planning to dive the wreck on the next weeks and before
The holly month of Ramadan, to avoid the problems related to dehydration from the fasting :p.
Water temp at bottom is 18c and will be 25c on the surface (so nice for such Long deco stop :cool:)….

More families reacted to our discovery of the HMS P32 submarine in Libya

Arebi,

I was very interested to hear of your discovery of the wreck of the p32 submarine.

My uncle, James Winter, lost his life in this incident. You have worked so hard to discover the identity of the wreck. My mother, who is James's sister is in ill health at the moment and until recently has never had any facts about the death of her brother.

Your discovery has brought a sense of closure and comfort to my mother, myself and the rest of the family.

My uncle was only 21 years old when he lost his life.

Thank you for all your hard work and taking such an interest, it has made a difference to us.

Regards
Sue Thorpe
(Liverpool, England)

Reactions: agbiv
Dear Buddyssssss
I wish you all a happy prosperous new year:thankyou.
Thanks
Arebi

Hello Arebi,
I'm a freediver from Cairo Egypt, and a long time scuba diver, with many scuba friends who would be interested in diving over there especially on wrecks. Is it also possible to spearfish? Can we live aboard, or you go on daily trips. Please send me more details.
Thanks

Ashod Papazian

Hello Arebi,
I'm a freediver from Cairo Egypt, and a long time scuba diver, with many scuba friends who would be interested in diving over there especially on wrecks. Is it also possible to spearfish? Can we live aboard, or you go on daily trips. Please send me more details.
Thanks

Ashod Papazian
Hi
check your PM.....:hmm

Arebi diving team investigated the conning tower of the Royal navy submarine HMS P32 sunk off Tripoli – Libya on 18 august 1941.

Another shot as we can see a direct view looking down on the conning tower.

Arebi

Attachments

• Conning Tower P32  Arebi.JPG
    Conning Tower P32 Arebi.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 350
Last edited:
Reactions: cpp07898 and agbiv
I've followed your documentation of this boat with great interest. Are there any other WW II wrecks you've dove and/or photographed? Thanks for the very thoughtful and respectful presentation.

I've followed your documentation of this boat with great interest. Are there any other WW II wrecks you've dove and/or photographed? Thanks for the very thoughtful and respectful presentation.

We are just about to identify another 2 historical WW2 shipwrecks lies in deep water at Tripoli – Libya.

Arebi :)

On our last recent expedition to the Royal navy HMS P32 submarine wreck in Tripoli - Libya

The loss of the HMS P32 caused a sensation when it was reported hitting mine off Tripoli – Libya on August 18, 1941after sailing fromMalta.
in which 30 submariners lost their lives in a disaster explosion that remains shrouded in mystery.

Aware that the site remains the last resting-place of the crew, our team of 4 divers, led by Mohamed Arebi, took nothing from the site other than video footage. The video has been investigated to solve the mystery behind the cause of the explosion accident since 18 august 1941.

Diving to such great depths requires the use of special gas mixtures and is fraught with complexities. We are the only Libyan diving team qualified and able to employ this technology.

Arebi diving team work hard and make extensive history research on the U-class British submarine, a remarkable discovery when several parts of the P32 submarine s bow (port side) shows the hull steel were twisted toward outside as an evidences that the explosion appear to come from inside the submarine.

As well reference to the Lieutenant Commander( one of the two survivors) Abdy s report of March 1943, in which he sets out the circumstances of the loss.
Saying: I have the impression that the explosion appeared to come from inside the submarine but I have no proof at all.

Thanks

Arebi

Attachments

• P32 wreck looking from stern u.JPG
    P32 wreck looking from stern u.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 371
  • Bow of P32 wreck port side u.JPG
    Bow of P32 wreck port side u.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 324
Possibly, as with the tragic loss of the Soviet submarine Kursk, both fires on the USS Franklin & USS Enterprise--their own ordinance cooking off/misfiring. You would think an external explosion would cave in or blow off the bow. As you mentioned in a previous post, the sub was prreparing to attack a convoy. Perhaps a torpedo malfuntion.

Keep up the good work. We follow your exploits with avid interest.

69 Years ago.

Today marks the 69
anniversary of the lost of the British Royal Navy HMS
Submarine P32. August 18 1941.
A day of remembrance for all who lost their lives on the P32 doing their duty.
our condolences to all the families.

Reg. Arebi

Any dives on the wrecks lately? I love seeing your photos and the descriptions!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT