• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New DNF Technique Video

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
kingohyes said:
so should I practice the "frogkick-thing" with it, I've heard that I should get rid of my current technique as soon as possible, and that it probably wont be easy:|

Just practice the kick for a few hundred meters before you train your dynamics. This way, you will have the kick down before you do the dynamic and you can reenforce the good technique.

Hi,
i wish you all the best for your future competitions...! :)
by the way whats your static performance?
I think untill i reach such lenght i have to do a lot of training, maybe my technique is not that bad, but my other performances are still very, very bad to reach stuff like this...

For all those who have problems with the frog kick:
1. go to a swimming club - they have mostly an excact explanation how to do it...
2. Look for an expierenced partner, because most of the faults you do, you wont realise them...
the problem is that if you always train something which is wrong - you can hardly change it afterwards!
3. training, training, training... :)

That`s what i learned during the time as a swimmer...

i hope, that i have helped some freediving buddies out there! :)

greets Mat

Well you say that you need a little critisism and not just roses...

You deserve roses, because you swim really beautifull, though I would love to have seen it from the side -if there is enough weight around your neck!

But...
With your technique the 51.13 sec seems a bit to slow for a 25m pool. I used to think alot about making very few strokes, but I found out that I was using to much energy on each stroke and I turned to 2 strokes more on 50m, wich gave me more speed and I was more relaxed.
To get the best out of this idea is to limit the glide after the leg-kick. This will prevent you from comming to a "stop" and by that keep up the speed.

Using this idea you will make the 50m 3-4 sec faster and you will feel just as relaxed as you did with your current technique after just a few weeks of training...

Best regards...
Peter P
Denmark

Reactions: commonerg
Great vid Greg, nice technique.

I recently went for the Australian DNF record, I was DQ'ed because my airway went under a couple of seconds after I surfaced.

I saw the video for the first time about a half hour ago. Before the attempt i'd got my technique to where I was reasonably happy, for the actual attempt it was pretty bad. My legs were flailing apart and my arms weren't completely by my side during the glide phase.

Mind you, there were some extenuating circumstances. About 20 minutes beforehand, the aquatic centre changed our pool length from 25m to 36.6m, to cater for the underwater hockey game that afternoon :duh . Instead of about 4 strokes per 25m, it was 7-8 strokes per 36m. I also lost one push off the wall, which left me more fatigued towards the end and didn't help the technique much. Oh well, there's always next time... :)

Cheers,
Ben

ps I agree, it would be great to see some more vids on the web!!

Reactions: commonerg
Peter P said:
But...
With your technique the 51.13 sec seems a bit to slow for a 25m pool. I used to think alot about making very few strokes, but I found out that I was using to much energy on each stroke and I turned to 2 strokes more on 50m, wich gave me more speed and I was more relaxed.
To get the best out of this idea is to limit the glide after the leg-kick. This will prevent you from comming to a "stop" and by that keep up the speed.

Using this idea you will make the 50m 3-4 sec faster and you will feel just as relaxed as you did with your current technique after just a few weeks of training...
I am more than honored to have your input on my technique. You are truly one of the best dynamic swimmers around.

So the whole idea is to keep my momentum going? That makes a lot of sense, and if I remember correctly from my physics class, it takes more energy to start a body moving than to keep it moving.

I will try this next time I go to the pool. I feel like this could open up a whole new opportunity for improvement.

BennyB said:
Great vid Greg, nice technique.

I recently went for the Australian DNF record, I was DQ'ed because my airway went under a couple of seconds after I surfaced.

Too bad about the record. Still very impressive though.

Again, I'm pleased to have all these top-notch dynamic swimmers commenting on this.

Good luck in future attempts.

Reactions: BennyB
Greg, I swam compeditive breast stroke in high school, which relies on the underwater strokes being absolutely perfect. Races were won and lost coming off the wall, as we get one arm pull and one kick while fully submerged. I think your pull and kick both look a bit wide. some people can do that, other people need to keep it narrower. One of these days at the pool, try taking it in a bit narrower, see what happens. Hopefully you can notice an improvement.
About the dolphin-kick included in the arm-pull, it does add tons of speed. Using the dolphin kick, I managed 114m. It feels more efficient to me, but it is something that will maybe be different for everyone. That is why I only suggest trying making your stroke narrower, there is a technique that works for everyone, but for each individual, tweak it your own way. Everyone has their own unique stroke.

Ike

Last edited:
commonerg said:
Thanks :) I think that mark is well within my grasp. I just need to get myself to competition ;).

Greg and Ike,

You guys need to get into competition. It's a great experience and a great motivator. Competition brings a whole new set on disciplines and conditions- zero times, safety divers, judges, competition recoveries, different pools. Pushing one's self in competition conditions is very different than pushing one's limit in their home pool. You guys are young and have lots of years ahead of you to do great things. You owe it to yourselves to test your best.

Just a note- Kevin Busscher did a 121 meters in competition last February but DQ'd. Like most of us, his PB is much greater than his competition best.

Peace,
Glen

I actually watched Kevin set that Fin record, but on his DNF attempt he hit around I wanna say 120-130m but was DQ'd.

Donna said:
my weighting is all wrong I think, I glide and float to the surface!!!

Have you tried to put on ankle weights around your neck ?

Just link one to another ankle weights of 0.500 kg (2, 3, 4) and put them around your neck...

It is better having weights around the neck than around the waist because the legs tend to sink and the chest behaves like a buoy...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT