• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New Fins for Scuba

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

island_sands

Erection Supervisor ;)
Supporter
Jan 19, 2001
I lost a fin on Thursday.... looking to buy some new open heel fins - I am a Mares fan for fins.. has anyone tried these?

mar00211.jpg

There are 2 sorts of fins for scuba. Beuchat jet fins and the rest:) . There are 2 sorts of tank divers; those who use jet fins and those who don't know what they're doing :) .

There, that should upset a few people :) .

Dave

rofl rofl

I tried jet fins once, :yack just couldn't get around 'em.

Why not just use your bi-fins? I used to use my Picasso Black teams for warm water scube, back when I could afford to dive in warm water. ;) That way you just have one set of fins for both- I've tried the monofin for tank diivng but it just doesn't work all that well.:head

For drysuits I'm with Dave on the jetfin/ turtle fin thing. Put a set of spring straps on them, so they don't fall off into the blue, and your set to go.

Jon

i am using my sporasubs, but very long and although great for the currents etc, hard to get off quickly etc etc. dunno, prefer my open heel fins for scuba.

Don't be such a girl! ;)

Sporasub does make an openheel footpocket for their fins. I just picked up an old pair of Esclapez with openheel pockets on them that are large enough to fit over my drysuits boots. Works fine for me- even inside of wrecks.

Jon

i already ordered more Mares fins...

yes i am a real girl rofl but thank god for that or you guys would start worrying, what with all the bikini photos and all :D

Jetfins are the best. But if you must have plasticfins that suck, get the technisub stratos, they are the least suckiest...

Cant stand jetfins, too heavy for me and just dont get on with 'em.

Basic physics, how heavy an object is depends on how strong the person lifting it is!

Listen kiddo, when I was 19 i would have broken you in half - I am now 37 and could probably still do that :) rofl

....and as I have said in a previous post, I dont need a penis extension nor do i need to prove anything about what i can and cannot lift!

I actually asked if anyone had tried the Mares fins posted above.

Cheers!

Go easy on the kid Sara, if you need some one to slap around, I'll volunteer :D :chatup (and kiddo, respect someone who's been diving longer then you've been breathing :D )

While my scuba fins of choice are jetfins (in warm water when I'm crawling around inside large sunken rusting things) and turtle fins (for PNW Drysuit diving) I do like a more "modern" fin when I'm cruising the big blue of middle east waterways :inlove

any of the mares fins are a safe bet, while they are "do-dad" heavy and pricy they do a fine job of moving you through the water :D I really liked the Technisub Idea3's and stuck with them for many years (still have 2 pair in the dive locker)

have you looked at the Cressi Frogs?

yeah seen the Cressi Frogs but they give me bad vibes
(previous fling many years ago with a divemaster who wore Cressi Frogs rofl rofl)

dont go there....

seen lots of people with the Idea3s... tempting. might see if i can rent some and check em out.

meanwhile, Scubastore.com are sending me my order today... :)

and Tompa, dont mind me. My bark is worse than my bite ;) (believe me) rofl

I use Mares Volo Race fins for both scuba and as a backup for freediving. There were recommended to me by a friend - store owner, and although I was pretty sceptical about them (full of channels and different gadgets), I was quite surprised by their efficiency and comfort. Mares does similar model in open heel too - the Volo Power:
volo_race.png volo_power.png

Last edited:
I've been beating up Russian uw-rugbyplayers the whole weekend, just bring it!!:ko:t
But seriously, the stratos is a much better fin then the mares, I’ve tried them both…

SL i knew you'd come around to the MARES stuff

:)

i have bad knees so i prefer my apollo bio fins (splits) for scuba
but i do know many peeps who use the above MARES quattros you asked about (my boyfriend included) and they are very happy with them.

mind you they aren't as extreme in their opinions as some of these boys in this forum - but i think those responders just want to get a rise out of you SL and don't care a bit about the fins (really!) - they are having too much fun with the lady of the sands and don't realize they are in the lion's mouth:martial

hey sara, i'll have to side with Trux on that one, i tried many mares fins i used to own quattros and now they belong to my wife, i use the Volos now for scuba, they are very light and comfortable on your foot and yet quite powerful..
good luck

hehehehe

New fins have arrived... :D got the "baby" avantis for using in the pool and the quattros for the sea.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT