• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New Forum Software and Design - Gone Live

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Can you remove the TapaTalk advert / link / reminder in the header for iPad users? - due to the fixed theme header, you can't actually hit the X button to remove it - I'm getting this bug in iPad Chrome, haven't looked at Safari. The new forum (and old forum) are great on the iPad, there's no need to use an app to view it.

Talking about the fixed black header, this really isn't very useful, especially when viewing the forums - the "The World’s Largest Community Dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing" isn't a link, it's just a title / tag-line - it would be much better taking up the massive empty space next to the logo.

For forum users, it would be really useful to have breadcrumbs in the left hand side of the fixed black header - that would be easy to do and provide good functionality

On a separate note - it may be my imagination but what on earth has happened to the UK forum? It appears everyone has left! There's less than one post per day since the new forums went live :(

I really didn't like someone messing with my favor(u)rite website, papa. After a week, I have to admit that it is better. Thanks.

Reactions: Stephan Whelan
Can you remove the TapaTalk advert / link / reminder in the header for iPad users? - due to the fixed theme header, you can't actually hit the X button to remove it - I'm getting this bug in iPad Chrome, haven't looked at Safari. The new forum (and old forum) are great on the iPad, there's no need to use an app to view it.
I'm looking into it.
Talking about the fixed black header, this really isn't very useful, especially when viewing the forums - the "The World’s Largest Community Dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing" isn't a link, it's just a title / tag-line - it would be much better taking up the massive empty space next to the logo.
The space next to the logo is used to display ads. The top bar is designed to be a consistent navigation element across the site and wherever you are in scrolling.
For forum users, it would be really useful to have breadcrumbs in the left hand side of the fixed black header - that would be easy to do and provide good functionality
I'd do this for registered users possibly...let me mull it over.

The space next to the logo is used to display ads.

That makes sense - I almost said you should be using it as an add space!

I'm not seeing any adds though - does the site have enough traffic to use a proper Ad serving partner? It would be great if you could monetize all page impressions.

The top bar is designed to be a consistent navigation element across the site and wherever you are in scrolling.

A forum specific Top Bar for logged in users would be great.

That makes sense - I almost said you should be using it as an add space!

I'm not seeing any adds though - does the site have enough traffic to use a proper Ad serving partner? It would be great if you could monetize all page impressions.
This is what I see as a non-logged in user:
DeeperBlue.com Forums 2013-10-30 11-08-04.jpg

and this is what I see as a logged in user
DeeperBlue.com Forums 2013-10-30 11-08-58.jpg

I've tested it on iPad and iPhone with both safari and Chrome and the ads show. We run a commercial grade advertising server so am surprised you aren't seeing ads.

Did you see ads on the old forums as there were ads at the top, bottom and in each individual thread. Only Supporters didn't get shown ads...

Ah, I'm running the ABP (Ad Blocker Plus) add-on for Chrome which must be blocking the Ads - I didn't know it could block static ads. Sorry about that! (I use it to stop YouTube ads and general pop-ups)

I've just tested in in iPad Chrome, Safari Safari desktop all without ABP and I'm seeing ad's.

You can get DeeperBlue whitelisted by ABP - this means that ads will show even if you're running the add-on - it's just a simple form to fill out: https://eyeo.com/acceptable-ads-application.html

Hope that helps! I look forward to seeing some Ads!

I'll look into seeing if I can purchase and provide a "night theme" for members to use.

Thank you, I hope the manufacturer is reasonable in his price. (can't you play with the colour values yourself?)
For me the page does not need to be black, but just darker.

Thank you Stephan,

Kars

Why do you need a night theme? I don't get it...

Though I think I've explained it well in previous posts, I'll try to summarize it here again.

I'm am a regular DB visitor, I can enjoy learn and reply to people on this forum for hours. I read through pages of thoughts and try to make a meaningful contribution. This happens sometimes at noon, but more often after dark. Because of the new light colours scheme I found that it is rather blinding and straining to stare at the new forum for any period of time at night and even during daytime. Off cause I can lower the IPS screen brightness more (And I already have lowered it about 20% below the standard output) just for reading the DB forum. I found that the brightness decreases my forum time and increases the strain on my eyes.

Apart from blinding I would find a darker page to have more contrast, making it easier to navigate and focus.

I hope that Stephan can look up the forum statistics, and see if there is change to shorter forum times since the new colour scheme. I think the new navigation and the brightness may be the cause of reduced forum time spend.

Though I think I've explained it well in previous posts, I'll try to summarize it here again.

I'm am a regular DB visitor, I can enjoy learn and reply to people on this forum for hours. I read through pages of thoughts and try to make a meaningful contribution. This happens sometimes at noon, but more often after dark. Because of the new light colours scheme I found that it is rather blinding and straining to stare at the new forum for any period of time at night and even during daytime. Off cause I can lower the IPS screen brightness more (And I already have lowered it about 20% below the standard output) just for reading the DB forum. I found that the brightness decreases my forum time and increases the strain on my eyes.

Apart from blinding I would find a darker page to have more contrast, making it easier to navigate and focus.

I hope that Stephan can look up the forum statistics, and see if there is change to shorter forum times since the new colour scheme. I think the new navigation and the brightness may be the cause of reduced forum time spend.
Kars - it is too early to tell real impact as it's only 2 weeks in and traffic actually seems up - I intend to see what the stats are like on a monthly basis.

I will look at what can be provided on a dark theme - I have the option of playing with colours but need to see if purchasing a third party theme might be better.

Stephan,
Overall the new site seems OK... I agree with most of the criticisms and also agree with some of the eulogies too.
However... I can't help wondering why you didn't make use of your large and knowledgeable membership before you made such radical and irreversible changes?
Of course DB is your outstanding creation and clearly much appreciated by us all... it just seems to me that you may have missed an opportunity to consult and include your avid community at the planning stage rather than 'pick up the pieces' after all the important decisions have been made.
No offence/irritation intended Stephan and I for one will continue to support you and DB when possible but a little inclusion for us all via a thread similar to this one (pre-changes) may have caused less headaches for you and a perception of inclusion for us?

Kind Regards...

Last edited by a moderator:
Having used the new design for a couple of weeks now, I'd say there are a lot of great things about the new forum software but while i like it, i couldnt figure out why i was perceiving it as clankier than the old one. In the end i think it boils down to a little thing for me that has been a big annoyance: the header - there is far too much header dead space before getting to actual content and every time I click on a thread instead of seeing the content, I see layers and layers of navigation and empty space and have to scroll down.

In fact on the iPad in landscape orientation, the content starts below the fold altogether.

If that could be improved Stephan it would be fantastic.

Hallo all, when opening home site of newly designed DB, there are "Featured Stories" and "Latest Stories", but no option for previous pages ( stories). How can I get there ? Thanks for answer. Pavel

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT