• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New Forum - Who is from Wisconsin?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

For future Wisconsin Freediving/Spearo activities, would you:

• I'm a loner, I don't want to participate

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pinggene

WisconsinFreshwaterSpearo
Aug 9, 2006
Welcome to the Wisconsin Forum! This is a new forum that Deeper Blue set up for all of us Wisconsin Freedivers & Spearos.

Let's use this as a contact point, and a way to keep everyone involved in events, etc.

If you are from Wisconsin, please post some info about your interest in Freediving/Spear Fishing.

Gene, Oshkosh
Beginning Freediver/Spearo (mostly snorkel & shallow dives for pleasure). However, I would like to learn more to increase dept & bottom time.
I have a few other individuals in my family that like to come along with me as well.

Reactions: Jon and spaghetti
Sounds GREAT Gene!

I can forsee something along the lines of what Samantha has created over in England with Saltfree. :)

With the number of poster that are on here from the Midwest we should be able to come up with monthly training dives and spearfishing gatherings.

This will be the fourth year for Freedive-A-Palooza and I am always amazed at the number of divers we get, and the distances they are willing to travel, to get there. Last year's prizde goes to Dallas Diver for flying up from Texas!This will be the third year for Freeze-A-Palooza and it sounds like we'll have a pretty good crowd this year- now we just need some ICE!

Let's see who else will step up and plan something. ;)

If people are interested in pool training we can do that in Madison, and I might be able to set something up in Milwaukee as well. I can also orgainze some depth training, with retrieval system and tech divers for safety, if there's enough intrest.

Jon

Jon,

Sounds good. I will do my best to get things organized so we all know what is going on. I was thinking that we could possibly keep things going by trying to have a "planned/organized" event every 2nd Satruday of the month.

If anyone else is willing to organize/help organize an event, please post. If you have a preference on when/where, it is first come/first serve.

Jon has dibs on Feb (Freeze-A-Palooza) & July (Freedive-A-Palooza). I'm going to set up one in March in Lake Michigan, (Sheboygan-A-Palooza), but other than those, the calendar is open.

Let's get involved!

Gene

Last edited:
Sounds good and I know that there are others out there who could plan something for their area so we coud move around the state a bit.

Palooza is JULY 14+15 this summer.

Jon

This is a cool space, Jon and Pingene. Congrats!

The plethora of paloozas is awesome. What does it take to organize and "help organize" ?

Cheers,
icon10.gif

Reactions: ILDiver
Pick a date, body of water, a time, add 'palooza' to the end of the name and you just planned an event:)

It shoud be a lake that you've dove before so that others have some idea what to expect.

Jon

It shoud be a lake that you've dove before so that others have some idea what to expect.

But we could have a Mystery Surpriseadiveapalooza a la GUAE (Global Underwater Apnea Exploration)?
icon10.gif

Just kidding. Was wondering if organizers orchestrate waivers and such, though (are they necessary?)

You guys are great. Thanks.

Jon,

Please chime in as I don't know what has been done in the past at any of the events.

Personally, I believe anyone that participates, is doing so of their own accord...just a bunch of "friends" getting together to freedive/spearfish.

If anyone feels diferently, let me know.

Gene

No waivers since it's just a bunch of divers getting together to dive. When I have brought divers out on a charter boat they have their own seperate waivers.

This is also the reason why I have never orgainzes any kind of local competition- the insurance is way too high. The USAA is workiing on getting affordable insurance for competitions, but haven't come up with too much from what I've seen so far. Maybe they'll get something worked out in the future and would could host a regional competition some day.

Jon

Hey im located out of Green Bay wisonsin, I love going to Nicolet bay to swim/Dive. I plan on spending a lot of time up there this summer, or going to other events. Nice to meet you all and hope to swim with you soon!

Reactions: ILDiver
Hello fellow Wisconsinites, Thought I'd join deepblue today to reply to the Wisconsin Forum. I'm a 51 y.o. male and fairly new to freediving. I get google news about snorkeling and freediving and it brought me to this site today. As a kid I spent countless summer days swimming underwater while snorkeling at Devils Lake. Over the last few years I've taken some trips the Key Largo for its' warm clear waters. Last month I started a qigong class at local Madison warm water pool. Mostly I just dream (alot) of ideal snorkel places like the Carribbean, Hawaii, and S.E. Florida. I'm too busy and probably too old to do much more than armchair diving now. But, I'm surprised and happy to see fellow Wisconsinites love the water as much as I do and I wanted to support you all with this post. Kerry, Madison

Gahiel,

Pick a day & we could do a dive with you sometime this Spring/Summer. April & May are still open if you want to grab them...Let me know.

Kerry,

Welcome...I don't think you are ever too old to go diving...if you can breath, then you can dive...love to have you attend some of the events this year!

Gene

Hi Kerry, You're not too old!!, I was born in 1954, and I don't let these "stupid" numbers get in the way of enjoying things, matter of fact I think of certain tougher things as a way of making the most out of life and an insentive to improve myself physically and mentally. It's not exactly the fountain of youth, but more of a way to add life to my years and maybe even adding years to my life.
Later,

Brian

I... am from Wisconsin. I moved to the Pacific Northwest so long ago however, I nearly forgot I lived in Wisconsin for the first 20 years of my life. I have been in the west now, much longer than I lived in Wisconsin.

I'll be back to see you folks this summer however, as always.

Best to all of you...

dg

Craig,

If your going to be back in July we have a littlle event we call Freedive-A-Palooza that draws in freedivers from 5 states. It happens up in Lake Wazee near Black River Falls. I'm sure that you've never heard of the lake as she not really that old, but she is now the deepest, and clearest, lake in Wisconsin- not counting the Great Lakes of course.

I got a chance to do a little scu ba diving out your way about 10-15 years ago. Lots of great marine life- except for that jelly fish that stung me in the face. :(

Jon

Brand new to the sport. Love to shoot Carp with my Bow, but looking to go after them in the water. This will be my 1st season speargun hunting and free diving so looking for lots of tips. Will visit this site often.

Scott, ----------Portage, WI

Scott,

Welcome aboard! We are trying to do 1 event per month. Come to as many as you can. Ask any questions you wish. I have not been doing it as long as most on this forum, but find that it is a great sport.

Happy spearing,

Gene

I'm spanky new to the sport but have some newly acquired gear and a visceral desire to be in the water! I'm obviously a bit limited on depth/time due to being a new guy but am up for anything :)

I'd love to dive anytime I'm able. Please PM anytime you are free and looking for a buddy. I'm just north of Milwaukee but willing to drive as time allows.

Tol

*I'll be out of town until October 11, 2007 so it'll have to be after that unless you find yourself in The Bay Islands, in which case look me up.

Hi All

My name is Jim and I curently live in Menasha Wi. Just started diving/spearfishing this year. Went out maybe 5 times this year on Little Silver Lake, Little Wolf River, Chain of Lakes in Waupaca and a few others.
I'm originally from North Dakota. Haven't shot any fish yet as I just puprchased a spear gun recently. Was out today on the Little Wolf with no wet suit and had to get out after about 40 minuets. I found it hard to relax to gain any good breath holds at these water temps. Not sure what the temp was though. Seen a good size Northern and lots of Bass and Suckers. I have been practicing static holds in my living room this past couple of weeks and was able to achieve close to 4 minuets. I couldn't even get 45 seconds in the water today.
Looking to buy a wet suit. Any thoughts on a place to go look at some. Local Dive Shops in town have scuba only. They suggested a place in Milwaukee Deep blue I think they said. I like the one I see Gene wearing in one of his pics some where on this site but would like to see some others.?.?
Also noticed a thread about a Freediving class. Sounds interesting. Not sure if I'm ready for that yet but have been told that i should probably take a course like this. Still pondering it.

See ya

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT