• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

new gear

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

BladeRunner

Mud Puddle Diver
May 20, 2002
Hey All

I'm about to buy my first Freediving gear but had few questions that everyone could help me with. The first thing is I'm planning buy Sporasub Samurai Elite but I wanted know if lens are just reflective on the outside or are they tinted dark like sunglasses. I want clear a lens and wouldn't mind the reflective outside lens, since I do have plans get into spearfishing to in future. My next question is does anyone have experience or knowledge on the Beuchat Mundial Power Blade Fins? I wanted to know how stiff they were and their quality? Thank You for any response.

BladeRunner Out: cool:

Hey Blade Runner,
I have the OMER equivalent of that mask. The reflective lenses also reduce some of the light coming in, which helps your eyes stay dilated at the surface. I have heard mixed reviews about the Beuachat fins, and have never used a pair myself. There are a few guys out there who have, so hopefully they will help.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

OMER Abyss Mask

BladeRunner,

I can't help you out on the Beuchat fins but I do have some input on your mask question. I too own the OMER equivalent (Abyss). I have the tinted, yellow lens, and clear versions. The trouble I've found with the mirrored mask is that because the lenses are tinted, if the water gets dirty or the sky dark it becomes somewhat difficult to spot fish. I've found the opposite to be true on the clear lenses, if it's too bright and the water is clear it can become difficult to see. My favorite mask is the one with yellow lenses. They protect your eyes enough in bright conditions but also enhance visual acuity when diving conditions degrade. If you're only gonna purchase 1 mask for a wide range of conditions, I would highly recommend the OMER Abyss yellow lens mask.

Scott Turgeon

Hi!

I don't know the Beuchat Power fins...??
I'm using the Beuchat Mundial Elite fins and I'm very satisfied with them. The good thing is that you can change the blades to firm blade and carbon blades. I like them more than my my Cressi Garas.
If you're new to longblade fins take the firm blade.

Aloha

Taro

Hey thank you for your response but I thought the elite were stiff fins. When I went to Beuchat webpage and they don't anything called the power fin, so I'm guessing the shop I saw
this fins at were labeling the power and they were probly just the elite. Thank You again!

BladeRunner Out

fins

I've only used one Beuchat fin. It's marked Elite Stiff. It is stiff and has a very nice foot pocket. Beuchat also makes my favorite mask.
Aloha
Bill

Bladerunner

I have got the abyss and Munial Elite fins with the competition blades. Jay told you all about the mask, so here is my opp. about the blades:
Competition is the firmest blades, but they are fairly stiff though! In fact i use my sporasub fins when i have to do a lot of surface svimmming, because they are much softer. The beuchat blades floates on the surface and do not bend enough; causing you to tend to splash around a bit, and they demand that you are in better shape....If you aint, you`ll cramp up faster....
I use them when i have do go deeper, cause they give so much more thrust than the sporasubs!
Last: this is review based on spearfishing.... Ig you just freedive, go for the beuchat! They are fairly stiff, fairly cheap, and they do not brake easy!

:) Lasse

Is it the colour?

I own a pair of mundial competition fins. the blades are a greyish colour. At the same shop where i bought my competitions, they had mundial elite, which had the same foot pocket but (according to the shop assistant) a stiffer blade. The elite's blade was black.
northdiver said that the competition was the stiffest so either the guy at the shop doesnt know what the hell he is talking about (very likely) or the naming is different here.

as far as the competition blades go, i am very satisfied with them. they are very tough. they are also not too stiff. i dont know what they are relative to other longfins, but i dont have the biggest of builds and i am yet to cramp.
surface swimming is a problem at first, but you just need to develop a new kick technique. I only do shore dives and they usually involve a 50m+ swim through the surf, then another 100m to the reefs, and now that i'm used to them, the beuchats are great. also a good price. i got them for R500, when the cressi's were going for R900. (exchange rate was about R8 to one dollar)

i hope this helps

mark

Stiffest?

I sad the blades was the firmest...meaning soft. Butthey are much stiffer than my other blades. The Elite blades fits into the competition poockets, so you just have to have two peirs of blades and one pair of poockets. They are really good to freedive with, but i think the sporasub softer blades is better to manouvre around with when spearfishing.

Lasse :hmm

Sporasub mask

I use the Sporasub mask w/ the mirrired outside and they are tinted. I personally like this. Alot of the time your out on the water it's bright and you will get alot of reflection from the water surface as well as just the sun itself. As stated by the others it won't take as long for your eyes to adjust when you head for the bottom. I use mine for scuba and freediving and it works great, also I prefer the dark skirt which gives abit of tunnel vision but helps you focus on whats ahead of you.
Jay

2nd the motion

i 2nd the motion on the omer abyss yellow lense mask. :cool:

although it's my 2nd favorite mask, it's great and i recommend it if you're going for that style.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT