• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New gun = broken muzzle

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Guffer

Sep 2, 2015
Ok, newbie so I apologise if this seems a basic question.

I just acquired a cayman gi speargun, and the muzzle broke on me. The staff admitted that they damaged the packaging during delivery. I was quite upset and was about to return it when I remembered that some people have converted their guns to an open muzzle.

In order to do this, I need to dremmel off the broken bits and add something to wrap the line over to hold the spear down. But do I also need to change the position of the bands downwards or can I keep them where they are?

Attachments

• 1441661395027-539292790.jpg
    1441661395027-539292790.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 258
Keep em where they are. I used a small broken drill bit, drilled it most of the way in and filed it down...you might like the open mod, i did

I have some 314 stainless 3mm bars which I will bend in to shape and epoxy in to the hole.

The broken bits of the muzzle though I think I will just dremmel the buggers off, too much risk of cutting/damaging the mono.

If you use a drill and let the plastic melt around the bit, you wont need epoxy. depending on the material of the muzzle epoxy wont hold up too long. I have done this on several guns with zero issues afterwards. Make sure the pin is angled forward and not too tall.

Ok, I wish to use 314 steel for obvious reasons but I shall use your techinque by heating the end a little to 'melt' it in ;)

I will angle the pin in so that it gets a good foothold in the plastic but bend it so that the open end points in the same direction as the spear will travel.

Sorry for taking my time to get back, I thought I had replied to this but obviously it didn't take.

I got my hands on some 3mm 304 pins, bent one at the right point and to the right angle, drilled a 2.8mm hole heated the tip of the pin and fitted it. Before it "set" I made sure of the angle and orientation. Then with a dremel took off the broken bits of the muzzle (I still need to smooth it a bit and make more of a channel for the line that goes under the muzzle but I am happy and a couple of test fires confirms it is working well.

Now to see if I can catch a fish with it :D

A pic of the result.

Attachments

• 20150914_163311.jpg
    20150914_163311.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 235
  • 20150914_163311.jpg
    20150914_163311.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 252
Reactions: Mr. X
A pic of the result.

I did the same as you and I have huge issues with mono tangling on shaft exit. While the problem is lesser with single loop, double loop is complete clusterfuck... Have you done any other tweaks?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT