• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New gun build - 105cm

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

portinfer

Aquatic shopper...
Jul 3, 2003
I found an old blank earlier this year that has a bit of history and thought I better finish it.

Charlie started a business here over ten years ago and the counter top he ripped out of the shop happened to be a nice plank of some unidentifiable African hardwood. Dave helped me plane it down, cut it into laminates and glue it together. It sat like this for the next eight years or so, just a squared up laminated blank.

I've done a bit of work on it since and have glued a handle on and shaped it.

Originally I 'think' the idea was to have a medfish type gun - double rubbers / double wrap / reel / high mass. Largely like the Abellan guns of that time. The trigger is an old Abellan one with the black delrin trigger and friction line release. I don't like these types of line releases now (I use one with a shorter high mass Abellan type gun and it pushes the spear to one side - probably just need less tension on the line).

Reactions: Brandon89
Here are some photos:
woodie-105-001.jpg

woodie-105-002.jpg

woodie-105-003.jpg

The handle has a central spine of maple with x2 reversed laminates of walnut either side.

This is just wood that I had lying around. Both types of wood aren't great in the water but I've noticed from other guns that I have, that if you are careful not to bang them around then the finish/varnish stays intact and the water doesn't get in.

I spent a bit of time looking at the Abellan handles and some other european custom builders' handles. I've tried to go for an elegant and comfortable asymmetric handle.

woodie-105-007.jpg

woodie-105-008.jpg

woodie-105-009.jpg

Reactions: Brandon89
Balls. Just brushed on a thin coat of epoxy to seal it for testing.

I knew you used 2pac but I'm unfamiliar with it so thought I'd do this gun like the rest I've done.

I'd like to try it on the new 80cm planned guns. Is there a product name you'd recommend ?

Yes, International is the best, but I have a different one at home that you can try, it goes over epoxy anyway.

Reactions: portinfer
I've fitted alot of the hardware but am thinking about the linerelease.

The trigger is an old Abellan one which comes with a friction spinner line release:

mecanismo03.jpg

I've used this on another gun and it tends to push the shaft over to the other side.

I suppose that I could mitigate this by using less pressure. The other gun has a double wrap and no reel so it relies on some elastic to provide the give/tightness.

Any thoughts on a line release that would work with this trigger or should I just fit a reel and slack off the line pressure?

I can have a look at the line release if you want, I have fitted one before just like that.
Perhaps you can file down the part to give a flat bearing surface.
You might be able to sink a ss pin opposing the release to keep the spear from moving, or fill the track with a epoxy & powder mix then bed the spear into the epoxy. I use this method all time to form a lovely straight, deep track.
If you have a spare spear .5mm larger than the one you use, you can wax it up & bed it down. Once removed you will have a perfect fit for you chosen spear.

Cool thanks Mart - also just noticed that the trigger has a slot for a side release (I'm guessing...)

mecanismo01.jpg

Will try and mock one up in wood to see if it works. No reason why it shouldn't?

Well, I have more or less finished this gun too. It just needs balancing.

Added a reel I had - a big 50m reel to go with a big 105cm gun! All looks a little too large but I'm going to balance it with some lead and then try to see if I can catch a fish with it....

(105cm 'Big Bertha' next to the other gun I recently made a 95cm Iroko stripe).

Attachments

• big-bertha-105-2018-03.jpg
    big-bertha-105-2018-03.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 184
  • big-bertha-105-2018-02.jpg
    big-bertha-105-2018-02.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 189
  • big-bertha-105-2018-01.jpg
    big-bertha-105-2018-01.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 180
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT