• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

new gun new style?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Pekka

neoprene dreamer
Aug 22, 2001
Ok, I have been thinking now that I have little extra reach having bought a bigger speargun and hopefully soon have OMER master america for a testing, I have few questions on hunting in a clear water with nothing to hide behind..

So as I float with my gun on the surface of the "big blue" how do I lure the fishes close enough for shooting from the deep water below me? do you think flasher is the key or should one try to attract fish by shooting some when going out and then when finally out there cut them with knife into little "bite-size" goodies for any hungry fish..?? I am doing only shore dives so far..

My hunting has sofar been reef hunting in a relatively shallow water with max 10wiz, doing aspetto in depths rangeing -8m-20m

Thanks for advice

Pekka

Pekka

Flashers tend to work really well as does chumming. With chumming, make sure someone has your back as sharks tend to show up. The real key to being a blue water hunter is not being overly aggressive. Remember, these are pelagic species that rely on speed. Most aggressive acts ie chasing after them usually result in a missed opportunity. If they don't approach on the first pass, stay cool and head back up. Let their curiosity bring them in. I have seen numerous Ono and Mahi stay out of range on the first pass only to come within shooting range later. Again don't chase unless closing the last few feet to shoot. How are you rigged up? Are you using a breakaway and bungee, reel, gun attached to float, slip tip? I am not sure what kind of pelagics you got in the UK but I am assuming they are tackle busters like most pelagics are. In any case, blue water is a whole different world from the reef. The techniques used and just the overall feel of floating in a blue void. Very cool feeling. Have fun and be safe.

Brad

thanks Brad,

I have been using my gun so it is attached to the float, but I am sure I would need some serious upgrade to my kit to get any fishes and not lose my gear.. I am trying to get a reel for my gun as soon as possible, but there is no real hurry as I am still land-locked for some time, probaply for two weeks, then I have a chance to go and try some fishing in deeper water.. I don't have buddy though so I might just leave the chumming out for now..

i have found that when doing reef hunting I don't wat to have an other spearo right by as the movement on the surface spooks the fish away, is that true about blue water hunting too, or sholud the two spearos keep close together?

One more thing about that chumming, what amount is appropriate/ enough for attracting pelagics? whle stringer full of couple pounders or just a few good sized fishes?

thanks for sharing your information, I am looking forward to my fishing this coming summer! :p

Pekka

Reactions: tuomo
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT