• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New Hunter...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

GrumpyDre

Jan 2, 2004
Hello all..
New hunter yet to get wet
I recently became interested in the sport.
Living in Louisiana, the sportsman's paradise, and being an avid fisherman and hunter and diver it seems only natural to combine all in one.
Will be rig divig this summer in Gulf of Mexico off Louisiana coast and intend to start small with mangrove and red snapper.
Need advice...
Purchased a Riffe MT#2S...
The local "Dive Monkey" siad it should do the job and will handle larger fish should I need in the future.

Wondering if I made the right choice
and in need of input...

Also looking for locals bubble blowers to dive with on occasion...

Thanks in advance.:)

Excellent choice of gun. I figure two trips and you'll be wanting the enclosed track and aluminum muzzle and after a couple more trips, or first AJ, whichever comes first, you'll be thinking Metal Tech #5.;) :D

Seriously though, the rigs are world famous for spearing. I think you'll really like your MT #2S. I have the MT #1 for my night and mullet gun, with enclosed track and aluminum muzzle, but my favorite is my Competitor #3XS. One thing I did for hunting smaller fish is get Hawaiian flopper shafts for my Comp #3XS, making it a #3X, and for #1's (11 yr. old son) Comp #2S, making it a #2. I like the Hawaiian flopper shaft for smaller fish, just because it makes a smaller hole and doesn't tear them up as bad as the Riffe large head, but a larger diameter shaft and the large head and will give better penetration and a more positive hold on larger fish.:)

Thanks Spear
Like I said I intend to start small but from what I hear about the size of fish around those rigs.... won't stay small long.
Hopefully just long enough to learn good technique.
Also looking for info on how to find water clarity and rip location on web...
Dive buddy has 19' bay boat so we will have to pick our days carefully..

definately invest in the slip tip(Riffe Icepick tip) it will help keep you from having to by 10 shafts per trip due to pretzel shaft syndrome common on the rigs;)

Give me a holler when you want to go and I am in if I can. As a charter boat guy out of MS my schedule gets hectic during the summer but the least I can do is let you know what the water has looked like lately and general direction of the fish. I keep in touch with a couple of captains in venice for Louisiana info. As for the rip...dont worry bout it if your rig hunting. Tie up, jump in, follow the leg down. If its muddy on top it will clear within 15-50 ft.

Where would you be launching out of?

Oh yeah...make sure the gun has cable for the shooting line and some way to tie off to the rig or "clip"...

Hey Rig thanks!!!
My shaft has slip tip and gun is attached with 2 wraps stainless steel...
Need to place clip for easy release if necessary.
Don't think I will need it initially, like I said I intend to start small to develope technique...
Don' want to get dragged around... just yet..javascript:smilie(':head')
Head Butt

Will launch from Port Fourchon. I hear that the clarity is better with less current.. also doesn't get as deep as quick as out of Venice.

Don't really know where exactly Hear a lot about ship shoales and Timbalier blocks though....

Unfoutunately I still have few monts to sort it out.... or more likely trial and error....????

Welcome to DB, Dre. Pay attention to what Mike tell's ya diving the rig-wise. Birth control is another matter. :cool:

Don't get too wrapped up in believing that you're going to start small, because all it's going to take is seeing someone else's pig hanging from the boom to make you wanna go big. And that generally means farther out and deeper. Plan for the biggest and worse case scenerio and then just hope.

A real good piece-o-advice for you being new and all is to check out a dive club in your area. That way you'll get the fast track on the where's how's and why's without losing too much money, gear or fingers. Send us the pictures. ;)

Thanks Icarus,
Intend to hook up with dive club but not sure which...
Only know of two in area Hell Divers and Sea Tigers... need to contact
Will send phots if post worthy.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT