• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New hunter

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

riffehunter717

Mar 7, 2007
I just recently started spearfishing last year. My dad got me into scuba diving and i started spearfishing. What would i need to start freediving and spearing fish

Basics are mask, snorkel, long fins, gun, some kind of wetsuit, weights, float. Try and join a club if you can or get a buddy. Check some of the threads here on starting out, lots of good info. Use places like this to ask questions, we've all been there as newbies! Good luck.

Buy yourself a couple of videos, they can be very helpful!! good luck!!

I would not buy videos unless you have lots of extra cash. First buy good quality gear that will last you. Find some other people to spearfish with. You will learn more firsthand spearfishing then watching a video. No amount of watching someone stalks teaches you how to stalk but someone can help to correct your mistakes.
Video can be useful but they are also very expensive.

To make switch from scuba to free just follow these steps
#1 remove tank
#2 see number 1

I would not buy videos unless you have lots of extra cash. First buy good quality gear that will last you. Find some other people to spearfish with. You will learn more firsthand spearfishing then watching a video. No amount of watching someone stalks teaches you how to stalk but someone can help to correct your mistakes.
Video can be useful but they are also very expensive.

Obviously, you need equipment:t
But I think a video helps you to see how it is done, how to "duck", finning etc..They have helped me a lot since "spearfishers" are not likely to share their secrets, well my experience....

My quickest learning curve parts have been hanging around seasoned spearos here. It's amazing the simple tips they give that change your comfort level in the water. Here the guys LIVE FROM THEIR CATCH, mainly because they don't have better opportunities (Chile is a poorish country). The spearos become so focused and efficient at what they do. Bug some locals and learn....

if you really want to get into freediving what you need is a good pair of long fins and a low volume mask the rest of your scuba stuff will work fine. for googles you really need to try them on to find out how well they fit you need to get something with a clear lenz and a black silicon skirt as for long fins I have a pair of sporasub variants and I love them, verry comfortable and fast
as for getting comfortable under water you should be pretty good at that doing scuba and all you now just need to get used to not breathing. just remember stay calm and relaxed and everything will work out, Oh yeah always make sure you dive with a buddy. ;)

Colt does offer some good advise but if you give us more info about your diving conditions then we can make a better judgement call on what equipment would probably suit you.

I will however say that you can use your scuba wetsuit but I wouldnt advise it. Freediving open cell suits are much more elastic, comfy and warmer. Second, diving deep or covering more floorspace will require long fins, And a if you plan to go deeper than 15m a low volume mask, if less than 15 low/high volume doesnt make a diff, (though high volume masks dont give tunnel vision like low volume does)

And most importantly make sure you are comfortable in your setup, any peace of equipment that doesnt fit or work well will spoil your dive and decrease your water time. Make sure the goggles fits your face (cheap / expensive) doesnt matter here. Secondly you want the foot pocket of your fins to fit just right nothing worse than fins that dont fit. Also get a diving buddy, NEVER dive alone, no matter how confident you get.

Now info needed on your conditions
Salt or freshwater diving
Reef / Kelp / or rockbeds
Water Temps
Boat or shore
and lastly location

With that I think we can recommend some good products.

Reactions: vali
re-wet suite. I use a scuba type, nylon outside, XCEL, 7/9mm one piece quite cheap from EBAy! The ocean is so strong here that I get pushed over/past rocks all the time. A nice soft (expensive) freedive suite would get mushed in two weeks . Try ebay for a second hand scubie suit.....?? If you have a bunch of cash, buy a new freedive suit...

what level of scubadiver are you? [just curious]
in rest i think that covert has told you a lot of goods:)

I have only scuba dived once on my life, in the Lakshadweep islands of the east coast of India. I have not seen a more beautiful marine environment since.. I don't plan to scuba in the near future. Maybe when I get too old for apnea hahaha.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT