• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New in Yorkshire

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Sax24

Aug 28, 2017
Hello, I'm an Italian guy from Sardinia, I'm in Yorkshire for about 4 years and I really miss spearfishing as I used to do it back in Italy. I would like to start to do it here as well, but the sea, the tides and the fish are completely different, there's anyone around Yorkshire with goes to give me some advice and might have a go together? Cheers

Welcome Sax24 - always good to see a new Italian spearo on the forum :)

I used to visit Yorkshire regularly - my in-laws used to live there - but alas no more. I had intended to explore the Yorkshire coast - if conditions permitted but didn't get a chance to. If you spear there, please start a new thread (e.g. "Yorkshire 2017") and tell us about it - I would be really interested. Once you post a new regional thread, we often find other previously silent spearos suddenly start posting too. I do recall that we have at least one other Yorkshire-based spearfishing forum member.

From a practical point of view, I suspect good visibility might be an issue (as it can be in most parts of Britain). I am not sure what tides are like on the east coast (even though I lived in Felixstowe for a while). Talk to local anglers/fishermen/boaters - and explore! The potential is there.

I believe there something of a tradition of winter cod fishing from the Yorkshire shore. I have an article on in a set of angling encyclopedias that a colleague gave me. Reportedly there has been a trend for bass moving further north in the Summer over time. A hundred years ago, tycoons visited Scarborough in their yachts to big game fish for the great blue fin tuna that were once found there (visit the cafe' at Robin Hood'/s bay for the photographic evidence). ;)

I've surfed the east coast for 15 years, from Scarborough up to bamburgh, and the water along Yorkshire coast is always brown! That being said I haven't been down that way very often in the last 6 or 7 years (only when the surf is good!) so my knowledge is a limited. A good friend of mine still lives down that way and regularly surfs the stretch of coast between Whitby and Redcar. He is also a lifeguard on Redcar beach so I know you do get a few clear days every now and then but it needs to be calm weather for a while. He did spearfish at staithes not so long ago and said the vis was ok. Also you might want to check out Denney Diving in Redcar, they sell spearfishing equipment and go out regularly themselves - on boat trips I think. Sa far as the east coast goes though, the further north you get the clearer the water becomes.

Reactions: Mr. X
Bamburgh - home of Uhtred of Bebbanburg! :)
Denney Diving/Diving Direct - I bought my camo Mares wetsuit from them, good deal, good service :). They sell on ebay and through their own website too ;)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT