• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New kid on the block

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Ender

May 17, 2002
G'day all

I just registered on these forums so I thought I should introduce myself.

I've recently gotten into freediving (doing it for 2 months now) and I absolutely love it. Since I live on a tropical island training to become a PADI DM it's quite easy to get some time in the water :)
My static apnea record is 4.10min and depth is 28meters.

Up until recently I thought I was just playing around, but since I've been going past 20meters I've started taking things more seriously...especially on safety. I never dive alone.

So my first question (of many no doubt) is this : whenever I go down past 20-22meters my throat starts contracting. The same feeling you get when you do static for a few minutes. But it seems to be depth-related. I only get it at depth, even if it only took me 30sec to get there.
I do 1min breatholding at 12meters and this doesn't happen.

Anyone know what's going on?

cheers,
Ender

could be this...

Welcome to the DB!
That throat thing you were talking about can be happening due to a "late" mask compensation. You have to compensate your mask regulary otherwise the air in the nazal cavity due to a decreased volume make the soft palate to close the cavity. In that case you can no longer compensate your mask, your ears, and you get that feeling in the throat...
Maybe that can be it...

Throat Thing

Hi Ender and Welcome,

That throat thing you mentioned, does it feel like someone is pushing their thumb into your trachea? Or is it more like you have to swallow more often than normal? Both of these feeling are feeling you'll get because you are not used to the pressure change yet. I started get these types of feelings when I first reached 30 m. Do you have trouble equalizing? You may need to learn a new equalization technique. E. Fattah has written a great article on the Frenzel technique. You can find it at www.freedivehawaii.com and go to Physiology.

Anyway thats my guess.

Good luck and dive safe

DSV

It seems to be swallowing...Like the contractions u guys talk about (I haven't got the terminology down yet :) ).

That article looks promising...I'll definitely give it a go

But I never have problems equalizing. I'm in the water at least 2 hrs every day either scubadiving or freediving.

Right now I'm not going deeper anymore but just trying to get comfortable at 20 meters. (comfortable = sit on the bottom for +30sec)...

I think that's the best way to get used to the pressure, no?

If u got any other info please keep it coming. I'm starving :)

Hi Ender ,
I work at Taa Toh Lagoon on Chalok Baan Kao .
Why don't you come visit after work some time !:D Would be happy to help any way I can .

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT