• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New kind of mask and snorkel!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

donmoore

Aug 19, 2002
I was looking at SubProf's web site and came across this mask. It’s made by TECNOMAR and that’s all I know. Thought it might generate some discussion.
don

Attachments

• drago.jpeg
    drago.jpeg
    56.9 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
looks cool, but i dont know about practical for freediving.
big volume and i think a central placed snorkal is for pool swimming (some types). I may be mistaken though

The volume looks suspicious to me too. I like the idea of never having to fool with adjusting the snorkel on the strap and its looks pretty efficient (less drag). Don’t know how it would work for spitting the snorkel out or if the visibility is reduced. Spearfishing is where I would like to try it as that is the activity where I am constantly fooling with a snorkel.
don

Isn't that the kind of thing they use for Finswimming, or underwater hockey?

I've done some diving with my finswimming snorkel (same as above, just not attached to the mask). Spitting out the snorkel is not a problem if you use your tongue, but if you pack before diving, good luck. I found the mouthpiece annoyed me as it pressed into my lips throughout the dive. As soon as you surface and go for that big gulp of air, the snorkel dumps a load of water in your mouth too :(
Another problem is equalizing. It's not so easy getting your fingers at your nose with that thing in the way, but maybe this design would be more forgiving.
The last problem is the length of the snorkel: mine holds a lot of extra CO2. Maybe this one is designed better...it sure looks nice.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

I've played around with my front mounted snorkel as well. Actually, you can make this kind of mask yourself with a simple snorkel keeper and a Cressi Super Occhio- just slip the keeper through the bridge on the Occhio to hold it in place.
One problem with the system happens when you try to turn your head sideways while underwater- the thing is so big it creates a LOT of turbulance when you move your head.

Jon

Last edited:
Alison, Alison, Alison......... :mute ;)

The advantage to putting the snorkel in front comes from swimming with your monofin on the surface- especially when you have to swim a couple of miles to get to where you want to dive. I thought that I would try the mount that way so I could swim to the other side of a lake and then just hand hold it while diving. It worked to a certain extent.

The other problem that came up where having this big tube inbetween your eyes so that you felt like you were going cross-eyed, which wouldn't be very good for spearfishing.

Jon

Whats this "Your" snorkel business rofl any one will do

Last edited:
Now since Adrian is a part of Deeper Blue team, and since he lives in Spain close to SubProf, I think he should offer SubProf to test it and write an evaluation for Deeper Blue. In fact Stephan ought to encourage him to test a lot of freediving equipment and report on it. He is close to DB store’s there too. We could really use more first hand opinions on freediving equipment. Most of us have to order without ever getting to test or even see it.
don

Last edited:
Hello Don,
Its really interesting to place a snorkel in front of your mask.But I dont think that it will have less drag,esp. at the ascends.
By the way I have changed my style a little bit, in spearfishing When I will dive, I take my snorkel to my hand and began to dive.And when I reach to surface I take it to my mouth.Its an autonomic reflex for me.
And also Don, I think ,the fishes do not want to get closer to an alien with antenna
Aydın

I think ,the fishes do not want to get closer to an alien with antenna
They make think you’re a huge crustacean and come to check you out! :wave

I have held the snorkel with my hand when diving when not spearfishing, but when spearfishing I need all the hands I can get for equalizing, gun holding, float line guidance, grabbing the fish, pulling the line in, etc.. Something I did during the winter and haven’t tried yet is I made a small float by cutting of end of a water noodle and sliding it over the snorkel near the top. Then I attached the snorkel by string to my spearfishing float. The idea is to leave the snorkel at the surface with the float on each dive.
don

They make think you’re a huge crustacean and come to check you out!
rofl
Hhahahahahhahaaah rofl thats very nice Don..I'll try this.Maybe their ancestors live and have symbiosis with the crustaceans..

Something I did during the winter and haven’t tried yet is I made a small float by cutting of end of a water noodle and sliding it over the snorkel near the top. Then I attached the snorkel by string to my spearfishing float. The idea is to leave the snorkel at the surface with the float on each dive.
Really nice idea Don.
Do you dive with Can nowadays??

I decided to give this thread a bump since I was wondering if anyone has used this or not.

I have a lake near me that's not to deep (15M) but is still clear and is a couple of miles around. This could be fun to just swim it with my monofin, since spearing is no longer legal in this lake, and hand hold the snorkel when I want to pop down for a bit.

I've been doing it with my Spera and Finis front-mounted snorkel, but this seems more stream lined since there's no head strap to deal with for the snorkel.

Jon

Jon,
I ran across this mask again on Monday when I was checking who had the best price on for a Cressi Superocchio. After trying so many masks, and paying big bucks for prescription lenses to attached into a Cressi Lince, I have decided the Cressi Superocchio with the inter-lip on the forehead cut out to bring the mask closer to may face, is the best all around mask for me and the one I should have prescription lenses in.

I am very interested too in the Tecnomar Mask Drago. It seems DHL shipping, at least by Scubastore (DB’s store), has come down since last year. My new Superocchio I purchased cost $27.70 and the shipping was $12.27, which is 44%. Still much cheaper overall than I could buy the mask in the states. Last year shipping sometimes cost as much as the product.

I encourage you to buy it and give us a report! :) Adrian could even go to their store to try it on and report to us. ;)
don

I spent 10 days in Nice and around using a front snorkel + nose-clip (the one recommended by our Israelian friend, 2 € at le vieux Plongeur in Marseille, and not the famous Paradisia) + swimming goggles (XP Seal, quite large)...

I was training from the beach, with no fins...

A front snorkel is very useful for horizontal swimming, especially if you have no fins...

the important point is that you can wear it independently of your mask / goggles...

you can wear the combination : front snorkel + nose-clip without mask nor goggles...

If you train with a cable, you need no snorkel : holding the cable with your hand you can relax and breathe before your dive...

When you want to relax before diving with no cable, you need a snorkel... If you have a "normal" snorkel, it can flutter a little bit by the ascent... A front snorkel is more stable on your head and allows higher speeds... and can be used with no mask/goggles...

I experienced a slight CNF... and to my surprise, I experienced no suction effect with my XP Seals at - 15 m...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT