• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New member in Scotland

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

JRH

Dec 8, 2007
I've been spearfishing on and off for years but never had time to take it seriously. This year I am going to make a big effort. Just bought a new suit, new gun, new float....etc. I'm just waiting for the Scottish spring to arrive (it usually starts in July and then winter arrives in September).

I'm off to South Tenerife in mid March with the family for 2 weeks, self catering. Any one got any good tips and / or sites for this area. I'll have a car so travelling is no problem.

Any Scottish members out there? I'm in Aberdeen.

Welcome to DB! Not sure how many Scottish spearos we have here but i'm sure there are a couple lurking! Tenerife is very difficult to fish although conditions are usually perfect, scarcity of fish and lots of designated 'marine parks'. Have a look on Medfish Magazine as lots of English-speaking guys who know that area well and are very friendly. Personally i'd love to have a go in Scottish waters, in the summer months though!

Ive always wanted to go up and camp hiek and of course spear as much a poss up scotland.

Went up oct salmon fishing the tweed and spoke to the local scuby shop and they sed it was asome diving.

On the east coast in the summer, I get pollock, coalfish, wrasse, flounder, dabs, the odd place, lesser dog fish, lots of lobsters (by hand I never shoot these, its just not sport) I also once got a 7lb cod. There are conger eels but after shooting one a couple of years ago (approx. 15lb) I realised these fish are just too powerful to take without a proper technique so I have left them alone since. Anyone got a good method? When I shot my one it was in the open, it went wild, curled itself around the spear several times, then used the length of the spear to lever itself off. It then escaped with a huge wound, I felt really bad. I considered building a detatchable head connected to the spear with 6" of wire, the thinking was it would prevent the eel getting leverage. I never did make the detachable head, any one tried something similar.

Is this the correct forum to discuss taking congers?

By the way if anyone is wondering, my rule is I eat everything I shoot, including wrasse.

Hi JRH, welcome to db.
You can discus anything on db but dont expect everyone to agree with certain subjects.
I dont spear conger because they are better looked at than killed in my opinion, horrible smelly ammonia ridden flesh that slimes up all your gear & is not high on the culinary stakes.
However if you have plenty in your area & want to eat one then go ahead.

http://forums.deeperblue.net/reef/37184-eel-hunting.html

Last year OMD & myself found several big conger that we hope will still be there in the summer so we can show the fish to our friends & visitors.
I must say that my mum was a particular fan of eating conger, ever though it would stink the house out for days rofl

Hell yes Congers do pong a bit rofl Delightful creatures to watch and play with in the sea. They have a reputation for being aggressive but they are anything but unless you try to annoy the things. 7lb Cod sounds good do you see many of them up there?

There was a guy called Ben Gowland who also speared out of Aberdeen, is he still there does anyone know?

Caught many congers, morays and other types of eels. Best thing is to shoot them when holed up: I wouldn't mess to shoot any eel in open water.
When holed up, the sequence is quite simple.
1) flash light to spot the right target (one inch behind the eyes)
2) shoot from above of from the side with a 5 pronger tip
3) pull it out immediately (if it's stuck inside it becomes a real mess)
Just be very determined, no fear, no hesitation, and keep your fingers off their mouth.
http://www.apneamagazine.com/allegati/grongoweb.wmv
Ah, and welcome to Deeper Blue!

Hi JRH - welcome to DB from a long term Scottish lurker.
I'm based down in S.Scotland and tend to fish South of Eyemouth - have also seen Congers swimming in the open, lined up on them and chickened out before shooting.

How about Sea Bass - have you heard of any being caught that far North - they are defineately getting more common down here?

Reactions: Pastor
I've never seen a bass in Scotland, though I fancy there could be an odd one at Peterhead power station outfall in the summer. As far a cod go I've only ever seen the one and I shot it. It was mid winter (Jan) just after an easterly storm, the vis was rubbish, but I was super keen to get out. The cod was mooching around in the kelp at about 6m. Interestingly it only has one eye.

Here's a question. Rod and line fishing near a power station is known to be productive. Power stations cool their generators with sea water. The outfall is warmer than the sea and this attracts fish. I have met people who catch mullet with rod and line at Peterhead powerstation. I went for a scout recently and was amazed at the volume of water being discharged, like a big river. My question is, where is the inlet is for a power station. That volume of water being sucked in would cause a whirlpool (maybe). It would be really dangerous, and not just to divers. I am a little reluctant to go in until I know more. Anyone done any spearing near powerstations?

Yes, thanks for that. It looks like some leave well alone and some take them on. The description of winding up the spear is just as I experienced. I have caught quite a few on rod and line from the boat and the big ones can be difficult to handle. The best method I have seen (on a boat ) is to put the eel in a hesian sack with just its head poking out. Sit on the sack and then take the hook out. I was bitten once doing this, it is not the bite that hurts, its the bit where the eel spins round and around (like a croc does), luckly I had a glove on so no real damage was done.

Good bit of video from "Spagetii"

Foxfish,
Just relaised there is 7 pages of "Eel Hunting" excellent reading.

Welcome. I believe our friend AtomicHaggis is a Scot ... though you'd never guess from the name would you:D. Although looks like he is based in Norway currently.

Ben,
I checked out your web site, you seem pretty serious about your free diving. I am keen but not serious. Most of my activities are based around hunting something for supper although I was in Greece this year with DB (Emma) on the *** star course. Like you I have messed around with snorkels, home made aqua lungs, boats .... since I was a kid (and continue to do so).

The vis has been so terrible this year around Aberdeen I have spent most of my time on the Moray Firth.

Do you do any pool sessions in Aberdeen. I do not as I cannot find any where suitable.

If you fancy meeting up on the coast somewhere to try for a fish or a lobster let me know.

I spend half or my life in Galway which is great as it is cleaner, warmer and fishier over there.

Welcome from Texas. Should have a report Monday on our hunt Saturday. Pics & or vids are great.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT