• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

new pair of fins

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
strangelove said:
Since the sporasub is not making foot pockets any more, what other brand is other there, beuchat ?
Beuchat pockets are good, but have differently placed screw holes than Sporasub, and the T-slit in the side arms is narrower, so it is not always easy to put new blades into them. H. Dessault has now good footpockets in their new models - I think it is an improved Sporasub foot pocket.

I sometimes spear with a veteran spearo (Felix Sasamoto, CNMI Gold Medal Spearfisherman from the 2006 Micronesian Games) who comercially fishes, he is mostly Omer atired except for fins. He mentioned using the Ice fins, and then the New Millenium Runners, and still prefers the Gara 3000's for their linear thrust, and flexibility.
he says that it gets him off the bottom faster than with other models.
I have tried the Gara 3000, the Omer Ice (broke em after 4 months), and now use the Millenium Runners (Black, like the ice in design, but more stiff, but still flexible)

I like the Omers because of mobility, however they flutter sideways sometimes, spilling off foreward thrust (operator poor form when tired). I dont mind it so much, but If I dove deep more often, with longer aspetto tomes I might consider switching to the Gara 3000's for more directional ascents. I originally had Dessault foot pockets, with Ice Fins, and loved the feel, they were my exact shoe size, and I used 1.5mm socks. unfortunately one ripped out in the heel! :mad:
so I superglued them for months till I could get Omer foot pockets. I replaced them with larger foot pockets to accomodate a reef bootie, as most access is over coral. I sometimes get blisters from the booties in the larger Omer Footpockets, and am since considering either Fixipoms to prevent the movement, or smaller fin pockets. I miss the Dessault pockets because the were firm, and snug, and I could go all day without movement, or issues. Hopefully a new pair of Omer pockets that are smaller will come close, otherwise I may attempt to repair the Dessaults for active duty.

hope this helps.

I prefer firm booties that are difficult to put on, and equally hard to remove because they swim like they were grown.
as long as the foot is not uncomfortable the snug fit is ok.
no one likes blisters, so test your fins with the booties you plan on getting or you could be sorry.
if you have to order and take a chance long distance, go with your shoe size as the largest possible for the pocket, and wear the thinnest sock, you wont be dissapointed by the use, only in putting them on, and be patient and careful to put them on, or they could rip out if they are older Dessaults, the newer fins have a softer material at the ankle that is more accomodating to stretching over fingers and heels without ripping. sometimes you just have to appreciate compound silicon construction.
this is where Omer, and Cressi got it right. best of luck.

TBGSUB.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT