• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New Pending World Record Hogfish

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

sturgeon

Feb 1, 2002
Mark Labochetta is at it again! He held the first IUSA hogfish World Record but it was beaten. Now he's back with a very impressive 20 lbr. Congrats to him and hopefully once he gets back to civilization (he was at the docks yesterday when I talked to him) he will elaborate and we can hear the entire story (with pics to boot).

Scott

Thanks guys, well here it is, a picture of the big old hogfish.

You're not too far off with that guess as I do most of my diving in NC when I get away from here. I found this guy on a wreck where we hadn't been to in 3 years near Morehead City/ NC offshore of Cape Lookout. It seems to be their northernmost extent. I've never seen hog fish in Hatteras for example, north of Cape Lookout. Aside from this fish we got another nice one that was 16lbs on the same wreck, a couple nice mahi-mahi my friend Pat is holding in the picture, a few good grouper, a king mackerel, some cobias and a couple lobster. Oh and two African Pompano, one 26 and one 30lbs. The cobias were right at 25lbs, nothing impressive. This was over the course of three days.

Each of the days we never had more than 6 fish in the fish-box since they were all quality and it makes us feel better at the end of the day to look at a few good fish rather than a bunch of smaller ones. We were diving deep water about 100ft with relief to 85 for these fish so we really try to excercise caution and safety spotting each other very closely. When one guy gets tired we both go to the boat for a break. We know that doing any different is pure folly out there, 40 miles from land. A blackout could always happen if some unforeseen circumastance presents itself and no one is there to watch you. Any fish that doesn't come on two or three dives and we give up on it as the fish has wised up by that point anyway. I did miss another big fish that obviously earned his keep, a nice grouper. I got one close to 20lbs but the bigger one eluded me. The bluewater fish came by every once in a while and took our minds off the deep fish.

There really isn't much of a story to the Hogfish as anyone whose speared a hogfish knows, they're either there and you get them or they're not. I still think of a hogfish as a tropical fish considering it's a wrasse and not a snapper as they sometimes get called by mistake, just like it's cousin the Tautog that lives North of it, or it's other cousin the California Sheepshead. All these fish are fairly aproachable and the only worry is making sure you get a solid shot and the fish doesn't take you into the wreck. It's funny I've shot probably a hundred or so of these fish in my life and I always feel sorry after I shoot a really beautiful specimen like this one. Of course I wouldn't not have shot it but to see these guys parade with their little three masted dorsal fin erect all around you and watch them is a pretty cool site. I guess I only take a few a year and don't shoot the small ones so it's okay but they're really a neat creature none the less.

Well there it is, a few servings of baked bread encrusted hogfish platters me and the famiglia will enjoy...

Mark

Attachments

• hogfish.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 389
  • patmahi.JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 263
a few more...

Attachments

• mahi.jpeg
    134.2 KB · Views: 228
  • bluewaterfish.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 286
  • jasongagrouper.JPG
    147.8 KB · Views: 303
Reactions: Murat
Bravo Mark, italians do it better! Let me cheer you, even if I honestly don't know what sort of oceanic fish it is...nothing like that in tuscany

very nice Mark. 3 weeks ago i was also in 3 day spearing holiday but did not get anything spectacular. Other than couple of big trigger fish. I get the one first day and my dive buddy get the second one day after. There was 60-80 trawler ship which dirives both me and diving buddy crazy. It was a great spearing place once but now nothing but a sea of ghost. Hovewer first day we saw group of AJ, about 20kg range actually there was 3 fish. Unfortunatelly they did not come in to range, they were too busy hunting group of bait fish...

I must add hovewer it was a one of the best holiday i ever had, spent the half of the daytime in sea every day

Grazie, grazie, guys. If just I could go diving more often, maybe three times a week that'd be nice

Spaghetti, thanks but unfortunately I'm not a true blood Italian. Born in South Africa from an American mother and an Italian father and with a US passport, I'm what you call an African-American-Italian.

Murat, our bet is still on! the Deeper Blue-Murat party was in the making if you had landed your 20Kg AJ...keep your eyes pealed for more opportunities!

-Mark

yeah mark, my job will be finisged with school 2 weeks later so i will able to dive 3-4 times a week instead of 1 day per week. Water also getting warmer and warmer which means deeper we go and more possibly to find a "treasure" under one of the rocks. You know what i am talking about

Bravo, Mark!

I'll post the news on Spearfish! Did you apply for the record as Scott said?

Ivan

Hi Mark,

Congrats. That's probably one of the most unique looking fish in our (U.S continental) waters.

Any tips on hunting the CA sheephead would be welcomed and appreciated. There's this one thats been evading my spear for the last three years.

Nate

Beautiful fish, Mark.

How do they taste that big? Was curious if their meat changed like other fish.

Congrats,
Anderson

Hey hey there! Look who's back, one of the "pioneer charter members" of Deeper Blue, complimenting me on my fish!!!

I don't think Hogfish could ever taste bad, even if your wife royally screwed it up We prepared a few slabs of this guy for the oven, dried the fillets and rolled them in milk, breaded them, added butter, baked at 320 for 15-20 minutes skin down until crisp and added a little salt and pepper to taste.

A nice little California dry Pinot Grigio to go with it and what tasted like a $100 plate in one of New York's finest restaurant's was underway....

-Mark

hmmm that sounded so good I think I'll thaw out the other half and do it again tonight...

I was talking about my wife not you Alison rofl She's good at a lot of things but cooking isn't one of them.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…