• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New Pending World Record Hogfish

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Thought you guys would like to see a few more pictures of Pigly Wigley.
I don't really like shots of dead fish on a scale since it does no justice to their beauty, and to give you an idea of that, just look at the before and after pictures from the first page. Now you see why I don't like to shoot the smaller ones, they're prettier than Angelfish :waterwork

What's interesting about this particular hogfish is that it's never taken me two spears to get a hogfish but this guy had enough leverage to bend the 9/32" hawaiian shaft around the side of the wreck as I tried to pull him away from it on my ascent. If you look, you'll see another hole behind his anal fin. I thought the first shot was good but it wasn't quite perfect and the fish went for cover. The most frustrating moment of the entire day was on my way to the surface as I kept thinking about the sand tigers that were circling lazily. It's hard to relax on the surface enough to prepare for another deep dive after having the "cordelero" (newbe) pass another gun, reload it, and try to stay finning on the vertical of the reel line strait over the fish when you can't even see the bottom. The thought of the shark eating your fish or having to deal with the fish and the shark once you get down doesn't help much either. It's reassuring therefore to have my trusty "cordelero" by my side. He loved it too actually at my expense. After a nice free fall to the bottom having fallen almost strait down I make out the line leading to the big encrusted steel plates and a nice cloud of murk. Maybe a shark's in there with him maybe not, I doubt it though since I'd think I'd feel the commotion through the line. I determined that although I couldn't see it, the fish was holed up as well as he could with a 63" piece of steel. The sharks were nowhere to be seen either in the 30' vis, my lucky day. I put slight pressure on the line to determine where the tail of the shaft is inside of the cloud of murk and try to best judge where to put another shot before I pull like hell. I take a pot shot into the mele and bingo the fish starts kicking, I grab onto both shafts and pull and work him, untangle him as he comes out and start working up to the surface as diligently as I can with smooth controlled kicks and by letting everything go except the fish by his gill plate. Shew, I feel like I deserved this one. I swim back to the boat admiring his beauty and thank that the resource is healthy enough to haven given me the opportunity to take such a nice fish. I think as long as we always share this respect for the fish we shoot everything will be okay.

On the same trip last year, a big spiny lobster, much less of a story though.

Attachments

• lilpiggy.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 203
  • itsybitsyspider.JPG
    169.1 KB · Views: 198
I did, thanks for asking:

Quetzal is the state bird of Guatemala and the name of Guatemala currency. Any relation to Guatemalan names? Regards, Mark

BTW I just noticed a few post ups from mine Alison had congratulated me a short while back. It made me real weak for a second, I hope her and her husband are resting in peace diving together somewhere in crystal clear virgin waters. All these things are petty compared to how short our life on dirt is. Live life to feel life while you can!

Last edited:

Best Amberjack also! Where is the story on that?
As regards Quetzal / Guatemala, I have lived there 3 times over the years. Never more than a little over a year at a time though. But that was before I started spearing.
Please excuse me, but what happened to Alison? I lost a good buddy here in SC last winter also.
Edited: Never mind I found it. http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?t=63845&highlight=alison
Hate to here that. She PMed me once and was quite nice. She will be missed.

Last edited:

Fast forward a year and a half and your cousin pulled it off I had to paste this Blake, classic.

After a brief blow to my pride I'm happy to congratulate my fellow Omer team-mate Cameron Kirkconnell on his new hogfish world record. 20.6oz I'm told:thankyou

Your cousin is a rascal, he waited 'til we renewed his sponsorship agreement with us for 07' before calling a day later (tuesday) to tell me he shot a bigger fish than mine by 3ozrofl (2 ounces isn't enough to claim a new IUSA WR) in NC. He must have though we wouldn’t renew his sponsorship…rofl

I was thinking that record was safe in the books for at least one more season once the water cooled off in the fall but...Hogfish stick around into 66 degree water. That is something. That sucker must have been too lethargic from the cold to move when he saw Cam. But I also know Cameron's a good diver and a combination of factors usually does the trick.

SO I got into thinking and one thing is true, the neat thing about the hogfish world record, is that at any time and any place (good place), a total beginner or a great diver, can end up with the world record. I once saw a rookie scuba diver in his first offshore dive shoot a 26 pounder!!! That fish is the symbol of east coast subtropical spearfishing to me, good to eat, cool looking and easy to shoot! Everybody loves to shoot these big daddy's and they act like they're not afraid of being shot. My goal is now to point out a 24 pounder to a rookie diver next year, ha ha ha, that would make his day....

Cameron, only one last request, since a 3oz margin is really close you'll need to take it to a certified weigh station to give me proper closure :crutch

Last edited:
Cameron, only one last request, since a 3oz margin is really close you'll need to take it to a certified weigh station to give me proper closure :crutch[/QUOTE]

I did it weighed in at 21.0 lbs even. For future reference the three legged scale they use at Bridge Tender isn't excatly IGFA certified. Thanks again for the gear and the help finding the secret spot. The fish is a beauty and I am having a print made of it. Should come out really nicely..
Cameron

Congrats..Nice big Hogfish..I shot this one in the U.S. Virgin Islands about a year ago..Being that we rarely see them down here I didnt realize that it was worthy of weighing (woops :head)...Keep in mind when looking at it that i am 6'4 and weigh 240..I'm not exactly sure but i estimate it was between 19-21 lbs...and tasty

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…