• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New prototype goggles for freediving will make you hands free!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

emile.c

Feb 3, 2015
Hello everyone. I had the chance to test a prototype of freediving goggles that will probably go into production very soon (sorry I don't know the details).

Basically these goggles (protected by a patent obviously :D) have an external hard shell with small holes and an internal silicone membrane that collapses with pressure. The space filled with air at the surface, gets filled with water that passes through the little holes in the hard case, vision is granted by two glass lenses that keeps your eyes away from the silicone membrane.
The idea is as simple as genial....

Here is a video proving they work. They have been tested down to -50m. Probably that will be the depth limit, but for sure enough for many of us. The good thing about them is the fact that they allow you to be hands free, once coupled with a nose clip.
As soon as I know more details, I will post them here.
Ciao!

The good thing about them is the fact that they allow you to be hands free, once coupled with a nose clip.

You can dive hands free using Frenzel with any type of mask coupled with a nose clip. These goggles would only eliminate the need to equalize your mask which can be done without using hands anyway.

Nonetheless an interesting approach.

Sent from the abyss

You can dive hands free using Frenzel with any type of mask coupled with a nose clip. These goggles would only eliminate the need to equalize your mask which can be done without using hands anyway.

Nonetheless an interesting approach.

Sent from the abyss

I am missing something. A part from Omer's Mask and noseclip I tried many times to use a noseclip on a mask with no success.
Even though you could get a pretty good grip and seal your nose enough for equalization, I wonder how do you equalize the mask with a nose clip on...
If you were almost hands free (the kind that has Eustachian tubes big enough to equalize using the over pressure of a very tight mask) then I could get your point.
I discovered I have a leak from my eyes when i do overpressure, this does not work with goggles, but only with facial mask/goggle, but I think I am a rare case.

Could you explain me how you do it?

Cheers,
Emile

Hi. Sorry to bump in and explain my point.
I have used a noseclip that fits inside a mask:
http://www.sfstore.fi/lisavarusteet/nenaklipsi.html
Sorry the link is in Finnish but there's English description at the bottom of the page.
It allows for mask equalization hands free, just add slightly more pressure after equalizing and the noseclip will allow air to equalize the mask. I have done 20m depth with it and don't see reason why it would not work deeper.

In any case,
An interesting mask you presented, I guess that design is more useful if you want to remove the noseclip during ascent.

The noseclip you are using is very interesting. I think I will buy one and try it out.
For sure it is perfect (if tight enough) for recreational freediving and spearfishing.
I'm not sure it will be tight enough to use mouthfill and in general for deep dives over residual volume.
When you use standard noseclips, they must be very tight, so when you fill your cheeks with air it will not escae from you r nose. The goggles I posted are perfect to train with a standard noseclip.
I will defenetely keep you posted when they eventually be sold in shops and let you know.

Cheers!
Emile

Hello everyone. I had the chance to test a prototype of freediving goggles that will probably go into production very soon (sorry I don't know the details).

Basically these goggles (protected by a patent obviously :D) have an external hard shell with small holes and an internal silicone membrane that collapses with pressure. The space filled with air at the surface, gets filled with water that passes through the little holes in the hard case, vision is granted by two glass lenses that keeps your eyes away from the silicone membrane.
The idea is as simple as genial....

Here is a video proving they work. They have been tested down to -50m. Probably that will be the depth limit, but for sure enough for many of us. The good thing about them is the fact that they allow you to be hands free, once coupled with a nose clip.
As soon as I know more details, I will post them here.
Ciao!
According to Hektometer (the company that makes these goggles), Davide Carrera dove to 100 meters with them with no problems.
The company is just running an indiegogo campaign to fund their production.
I would love to purchase one, but 149€+shipping is really expensive.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Anyone has an idea why fluid goggles and Hektometers are priced so high?

Anyone has an idea why fluid goggles and Hektometers are priced so high?

For what I know they are patended , and costs for patents are very high.
Than because they are produced in small quantities, R&D and production are very high.

Anyway, compared to fluid goggles they are very similar in price. But they are much better!

Emile

Reactions: Miki Jeshurun
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT