• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New Record

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Erik

Jan 21, 2001
As far as I know. Marten Stepanek ( I think that's right) did an 8:06 static breath-hold last weekend in Florida, pending AIDA ruling.
Erik

I just happened to be in that clinic and got to meet all of them. I felt very fortunate to have been able to learn from them, as well as the wealth of information that Kirk taught us.
After reading Eric's story about the boat, I would have to agree 100%. I have never sucked in so many gas fumes in my life. The boat fumes were annoying, as we all were trying to find that one place on board where you could actually breath fresh air.
On the first day when it was so rough, Eric forgot to mention the one boat that almost ran us down in the water. The guy was driving way too fast for the limited visability that the heavy rains caused. If it wasn't for the observant crew we would have all become sushi. It ws shortly after that when we were all ordered out of the water.
Eric is a super guy who let me try out his "fluid goggles" one day. They are the coolest things I have ever seen for diving- they even beat rebreathers hands down! You put them on and fill them up with saline and you can see! You can actually see much better than I ever imagined possible. I look forward to when he can mass produce them for the rest of us.
If you really want to improve your knoweldge and performance in freediving I would stongly suggest this clinic.

Jon

Performance

Hi Jon, would you be willing to share any improvements in your performances that you may have got after the clinic?
Thanks, Erik

I doubled my static time- from 2:00 to 4:00 last week. I also added some distance to my depth. I had never been able to break 80' on a free imerssion dives in Lake Michigan. I made it to 105' in Miami. I was also going to try for a 90' constant ballast dive, but the safety diver was in the wrong place. I made it down to touch his hand ,and when I was on my way up I had to bail and go for the rope. I was kind of dissapointed in my effort until I checked my gauge and relized I had actually gone to 100'. I ran out of time to try it again.
Mostly I learned a lot of really good training and equalizing techniques. I was always stuck at 80' because of mask and ear squeeze. I now know that I can make it much deeper. I also learned a lot about diving DCS and surface intervals. I now make sure I stay up longer to ventilate properly between dives.
I was out in Lake Michigan yesterday ( where I work on a charter boat) freediving. I always like to jump in and see what the conditions are like for people before they suit up. Yesterday was 63 degrees on the surface and 41 degrees at depth. Visabilty ranged from 30 - 50 feet on the bottom. After a few warm up's I get my scooter and check on the divers. I got to rescue one guy and recover a lost fin from 70' yesterday. I can easily check and entire wreck in one or two sweeps and keep an eye on everyone. I have even been able to pop divers tanks back into their bc's before they even knew it was dragging along behind them. I feel I can do a better job keeping tabs on people than with scuba.
I have no intention of doing any record setting; however, I do have a honeymoon coming up next month to the Bay Islands and I hope that my new found skills will help me get some good whale shark pictures- fingers crossed.

Jon

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT