• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New Sections for the forum

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Yes fee is ok but what videos we get in premium area? Scuba, freediving, spearing? Who will post? Users or someone else too from out of the community?

OK folks - before everyone starts discussing this to the nth degree - bear in mind that all that has happened is a discussion between management here at DB - no decisions have been made, no fees set, no development done.

The idea would be launch a premium section with numerous benefits, one of which would be video. Others discussed include no-advertising, special features just for premium users, exclusive offers, etc...

Yes DB management should set the premium membership opportunuties first. I believe most of will give the premium if we believe we would benefit from it.

Here's an idea, Papa......

Create a section for vid. Allow free upload of vids to the site (similar to your photo section). And charge a set price/bandwidth for downloading. Example: $3.00 for 50 megs......$5.00 for 100 megs......$10.00 for 250 megs....etc. This would give you better control and feedback about the prices you should be charging. And it would put the burden of creating proper video on the forum members. Like Pez said, WMV is a good choice for zipping files around cyberspace. I can stuff a 4 min clip with stereo into an 8 meg file. That same file, as an MPEG, would be about 50 megs. This strategy would also encourage quality over quantity.

I have NO idea how to implement such a plan, but if a rube like me could think of it, someone else must have already marketed a better idea.

One last thing.....possibly install a rating system to the vids (same as the photo posts) so forum members could better make a decision on 'spending' their bandwidth.

Ted

man...it sucks to be Stephen right now!!:D Oh yeah, can you get a tuna delivery service for me while your at it:t

Please papa smurf......

TAKE MY MONEY!!!!!!!!

Premium charges to be able to access downloadable videos would be a godsend. Imagine........Eric F performing a breathup while describing what is happening. The ability to watch dynamic w/o fins techniques. Monofin critiques like what Jon was referring to earlier. That would be tremendous. Absolutely tremendous and worth the cost, even if it's a pay per download system. And paypal is cheap for you, and easy for us to pay you.

Damnit. I was trying to cut my living expenses. There goes that idea. :waterwork

Since we are still in the planing phase, I have a question to the other DB members; what videos whould you want to see? Scot just listed a few training videos. I didn't expect that response but I like the idea. For those that shoot video and for management to make the best informed decisions, we need a list of what you/we all want to see so we can get started shooting and editing to the desires and requests of the other members.

Once again we are only talking here, I'm sure this post qualifies for "jumping the gun" as Stephan put it.

As I'm involved mainly in spearfishing, I would definetly want to see some good action movies :D

Neat ideas!

I am interested in this idea as both a consumer of these videos and also as a possible producer. From the top of my head, here is a list of videos I would think would be useful to deepblue users (correct me if I'm wrong):
(not counting spearfishing, which is not up my alley)

-beginner videos: basic techniques for fun and safety
-safety freediver techniques (with all the necessary disclaimers)
-monofin technique
-travel videos
-competition videos
-training videos for constant, static, dynamic (fins, no fins)
-DRUMS assembly and use
-cross training techniques
-yoga breathing: pranayama, bhastrika, etc...
-neat features on certain athletes... Eric Fattah, Sebastian Murat, Stephan Mifsud, etc...

Stephen, what kind of compensation would you imagine would go to an producer of such video clips, if any?

I think a yearly subscription of up to $40 or pay per view would be worth it if quality stuff was being produced and it was easy to access.

Cheers,

Pete
Vancouver, BC

Well - i'm sure we would need to come up with some sort of solution for compensation but i'm positive that it won't be very much (think more along the lines of free premium membership rather than cheques in the post).

The problem being is that to be able to compensate video creators we would need to significantly increase the fee charged for access to the videos.

As for who would post the videos - I would suspect we would accept entries from pretty much anyone, although they would all have to be vetted by DB staff before being posted. We also would probably look to convert the videos in Real / Windows Media / Quicktime formats.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT