• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New snorkle......

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ling-cod_kid

Aug 31, 2004
I need to get a new snorkle does any one know if

there are any good ones out there right now.

Or mabe what kind of style I should get....I will

be using it for sprear fishing

-thanks alot, David

First thing you have to decide is, you want valves or not. The ones that have valves are bulkier, in my opinion simple ones are better. Then you have to check for the mouth piece, it should be silicone for comfort, or get full silicone snorkel. They are better;) Try OMER Zoom, the clear transparant model is invisible in the water.;)

I kinda like the valves, It keeps my snorkel dryer when going out through surf or when in heavy kelp. I use a Riffe Stable snorkel. I love it. It is a little bulkier but I choke on water less.

GTB
http://www.gonetobaja.com

Hello guys!

I use a snorkel with a valve from Ocean master!

best snorkel I ever had!

its very annoying when you are breathing before a dive and water gets into you snorkel!!! this way you avoid it meaning you shorten your rest between dives and you avoid the salty mouth!

What is most comfortable for me isn't necessarily most comfortable for you, but thats what I use and I do have the omer snorkel but I still prefer the ocean master!!!

you can see the snorkel in the picture!

Attachments

• freediver.jpg
    freediver.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 342
Reactions: donmoore
When you're spearfishing, a simple (no valves) and flexible (when you're looking for fish in caves snorkel don't remove your mask) snorkel is the best election.

The attached image is a good (Beuchat) spearfishing snorkel.

Greetings,
Eduard

Attachments

• tubair activa.jpg
    tubair activa.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 327
Last edited:
I've been valve free for ages - preferring the wide - wrap-around type with no bells or whistles. A few years ago I needed a new snork and couldn't find the kind I like (scuba country herebouts - the more devices the better!) so I grabbed a USD Impulse II. Surprisingly I really like this snorkel. It helps out alot when there is chop or you find yourself working at a weird angle on the surface.

Last time I owned a snorkel with a valve was 1974. I have used, almost exclusively, a Farallon snorkel. There was only a short few years between the time I lost my last one and when I found e-bay that I used an old Scubapro swivel jet. Now I buy just about every Farallon I can find for parts to keep one good one always working. They are very simple with a swivel mouthpiece and teeth "bites" that are moldable.

John A.,

If you've got an extra one Sven will pony up some serious cash for it.;)

It's too bad none of the scuba companies will buy the old molds and start making them again.:(

Jon

Stream flex from diveinn, first snorkel i ever had!
So it must the best one as well:) I like it

Seriously, get some cheapo thing that's flexible and not shriekingly coloured. I'd take one without a valve so it cannot leak. Some seem to like it though...
If anything, the mouthpiece is important. It shouldn't be too small and soft enough.

J

Dry snorkel dependant!

I have tried tons of snorkels, and the Ocean Master is the only one that works for me. I know freedivers are suppose to use simple snorkels, but I just can’t relax in the breathup with the thought I could get a mouthful at any time. I would rather deal with the extra drag. Our chop here might also have something to do with it too.

I am on my fourth Ocean Master. The weak point of the snorkel, besides the clip that breaks easy, is the pivot between the mouthpiece and the tube. It won’t last a year with me. I have discovered the flexible tube one (also considered a no-no for freedivers) lasts longer because the pivot doesn’t have to work as much.

When I am diving deep (non-spearfishing) I hand my snorkel to my spotter and breathup on my back. Some day I am going try attaching it to my float with a lease or something for spearfishing.
don

PS If you break the clip, try e-mailing Ocean Master. They sent me 3 free.

PS II My 7-year old daughter can snorkel for hours with a plain no-valve snorkel and with waves breaking over her head and never complain. She blows it out without even thinking about it. I think I will never have her try a dry snorkel.

PS III Nice picture Freediver81!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT