• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

new static record

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
3rd day update

Today Tom topped his recent record by an incredible 20 seconds for a total time of 8'47''. Both judges (Laporte and Nagel) gave him an ok on his performance.

Tonight there'll be another official attempt. It's unlikely that he'll top his time again because there will be a party, and the attempt is more like a show for the guests.

-Dominique

unglaublich!

That's a big step from 8:24, and even a bigger one compared to 8:06. Wow!

I cannot wait for Tom's own words. Doing so many Max statics in so few day's must be really exausting.

Hope to see you all in Hemmoor!

Keep dreaming,
Kars.

ps. Maybe he get's so relaxed in the show, because the record is already secure, that he may surprice himself, judges, AND audiance. :p

Last edited:
First, the website isn't updated every hour nor every day.

Second, it's likely other jurymembers will watch the video a couple of times for making sure the judgement is correct.

Be patient, and watch Deeper Blue, the latest news get's here fast! :D

Kars.

Thanks!
I always seem to misread people's registration date as the date of the post. Thus, I thought these posts were kinda old.

Also, I only started looking for the world record today. So it's kind of a coincidence with Tom's timing. A lot of the searches I did today landed me on sites that were older and showed current records (for 1990, etc)

Plus the 12:47 record keeps popping up. (But he was toking on 100% pure O2, first)

8'47'' was Tom's best official attempt. His last attempt on the party was 8'16''.
The judges were very impressed with his overall performance. No surprise if you consider that all five official attempts were 8'12'' or more.

12'47'' with pure O2 isn't that impressive. So far I only tried one static on pure O2, and I surfaced after 14'24'' because the high CO2 level felt kind of strange. Tom did more that 16' on pure O2. I'm sure with a little training the body can get used to those high CO2 levels. 20' should be no problem.

Where can I get National records?
The site at AIDA has what looks like an exhaustive list by country, but almost all of them are broken links, including USA.

I read somewhere that a man has calculated how long a man possibly can hold his breath. I think it was around 9 minutes... Tom Sietas is closing in.. Is there a limit which cannot be pushed further?

Just like it was calculated that a human can't beat the 4 minute mile!!

I'm pretty sure if you read above, Tom has done private practice holds above 9:00 already.

The value that Lindholm calculated was 9'34", which he described as the rough maximum for an adult male who holds his breath without hypothermia, and without 'esoteric yoga techniques' such as controlling the heart, etc...

Using the minimum metabolic rate common to all mammals, one giant breath would last a human 6 hours. So Tom's 9'23" is still far from the limit.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

I hope we will find you more arround this forum, and share your views, ideas and stories too!

Nice story on your site!

Kars.

Somebody knows where can I take the video of Tom´s record?????

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT