• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New to forum a couple years experience long ago

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Elsegundo22

Jun 6, 2023
I'm in Bodega Bay CA, I plan to start diving here is the cold rough waters but staying inshore to start. I've fished this area long enough to know we have a lot of very large Whites here. I'm sure of it because I"ve have then take out the down rigger balls (15 lb ball of lead quick release, stainless wire and hardware)with such force the get stuck in the rigging. I've hooked the several times on salmon gear. Point Tomales seems to be the heaviest populated area.

I'm in Bodega Bay CA, I plan to start diving here is the cold rough waters but staying inshore to start. I've fished this area long enough to know we have a lot of very large Whites here. I'm sure of it because I"ve have then take out the down rigger balls (15 lb ball of lead quick release, stainless wire and hardware)with such force the get stuck in the rigging. I've hooked the several times on salmon gear. Point Tomales seems to be the heaviest populated area.
Welcome!
I'm not familiar with colder waters or waters off CA, but just make sure you have a good partner to dive with. Where I'm at in Hawaii, I come across sharks very often. Pretty much every dive I do. The key deterrent has been keeping my shot fish out of the water. My shore-dive float is the Bank Board and I throw my fish in a bag and on my float. Sharks typically go away after that. There are much cheaper dive floats that you can use to get the fish out of the water.

Otherwise, having a good partner to watch for you and have your back (vice versa) is important.

Hello, Bodega Bay in California is known for its cold and rough waters, making it an exciting diving destination. It's great that you plan to start diving inshore and have knowledge of the presence of large White sharks in the area. Being aware of their presence is important for your safety while diving. Starting your diving adventures in calmer and shallower areas is a good approach, allowing you to gain experience and confidence before venturing further out. Point Tomales, known for its higher shark population, may offer interesting diving opportunities but requires careful planning and consideration of safety measures. When diving in areas with known shark populations, it's advisable to follow best practices, including diving in groups, using appropriate equipment, and being aware of your surroundings. Additionally, staying up to date with local diving regulations and guidelines can help ensure a safe and enjoyable diving experience. Remember, diving in cold and rough waters can be challenging, so it's crucial to have the necessary training, experience, and equipment to handle such conditions. It's recommended to consult with local diving experts or dive operators who have knowledge of the specific conditions and can provide guidance tailored to the Bodega Bay area. Enjoy your diving adventures in Bodega Bay, and stay safe!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT