• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Question New to freediving, soon taking a course

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Cechols

Oct 1, 2021
Hi, I am interested in freediving and i am likely going to be enrolling with SSI in the Level 1 freediver course. However, I am not sure if I have what it takes. All the people I've seen freediving have been fit or have been in good shape. I am not necessarily fat but not fit I was wanting some feedback to see if others think I could still do it. I can do a 25 meter dynamic apnea with no fins (so using a breaststroke-like stroke) but thats all i can do as of right now. I know this is a ridiculous question, but do you think i have what it takes? I just would like some feedback.

Reactions: geeksvela
If you are unsure, you might want to consider having a medical evaluation.

Assuming that does not bring up any concerns, I would definitely recommend pursuing the freediving course. Invariably your time and distance underwater will improve, but your safety and enjoyment will increase even more.

Freediving is a sport and a recreational activity. It can be enjoyed at all kinds of different fitness levels and intensities. We always recommend our customers seek professional training, primarily for the safety aspects of it.

Also, once you get a decent pair of freedive fins, you will probably be able to bang out 50 meters in the pool. You will be surprised what a difference good fins make.

Reactions: blu3yy and annc
Hi, I am interested in freediving and i am likely going to be enrolling with SSI in the Level 1 freediver course. However, I am not sure if I have what it takes. All the people I've seen freediving have been fit or have been in good shape. I am not necessarily fat but not fit I was wanting some feedback to see if others think I could still do it. I can do a 25 meter dynamic apnea with no fins (so using a breaststroke-like stroke) but thats all i can do as of right now. I know this is a ridiculous question, but do you think i have what it takes? I just would like some feedback.
I'm in a similar boat. I did a one day safety workshop that was pretty much level 1 pool work and really enjoyed it. I'm capable of "passing" the pool work, not 100% confident about the open water if I have issues equalizing or stress out on a rescue. Presently, I'm working on fitness swimming, exercise bike, weight training, yoga and a bit of breath work.

I agree training is very important but feel I'd get more out of open water training if I were fitter. Everyone is different and certainly different factors go into our decision making process. You probably would get through the course but if you aren't confident about your fitness would you be doing it to "pass" or get the most you can out of it? Just some food for thought.

Hi there! This is a great question. I'm doing AIDA I & II Courses end of May, my requirements are a medical exception and to be able to swim 200m unassisted. I've been working on my swimming fitness & breathwork for the last few weeks. Reading this threat I will definitely include weights, cycling and yoga.

Reactions: annc
Hi, I'm glad to hear that you are interested in freediving. Freediving is a wonderful sport that can be enjoyed by people of all shapes and sizes. There is no need to be fit or in good shape to start freediving, as long as you are healthy and comfortable in the water. The most important thing is to have a good attitude and a willingness to learn.

The SSI Level 1 freediver course is designed for beginners who want to learn the basics of freediving. It will teach you how to breathe properly, how to relax your body and mind, how to equalize your ears, and how to dive safely and efficiently. You will also learn about the physiology and psychology of freediving, and how to prevent and deal with potential problems.

The course requirements are not very demanding. You only need to be able to swim 200 meters without stopping, and hold your breath for at least 90 seconds. You also need to be able to dive to a depth of 10 meters using a rope. These are achievable goals for most people, and you will have plenty of practice and guidance from your instructor.

So don't worry about your fitness level or your current abilities. You have what it takes to become a freediver. All you need is some training, some practice, and some fun. I hope you enjoy your course and discover the beauty of the underwater world. Happy diving!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT