• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

new to spear fishing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

allhunter

Jun 22, 2008
well i have went spearfishing only 5-6 times and that was out in the ocean and once in wisconsin. i live in appleton and want to know if anyone knows of any good spearing lakes(visability wise and fish wise) near appleton or within 1 hour of appleton.

thanks for the help
Adam

Your best bet is to go scouting. Take a day and drive from lake to lake and check the clarity yourself. Look at the DNR lake maps to figure out which ones have decent numbers of fish, and to check the depth. I personally don't know many lakes near Appleton, but this is how I found my spearing lakes.

adam- Lake michigan is the best. on a good day you can get 100' vis. Lots of fish. That's about all i know in that area. I don't know how far you are from GREEN LAKE - but thats another decent lake. Check with Fleshy and the NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK - they are from that area.

i have been to green lake once and it is clear!! but now with all of the flooding all of the public boat ramps are closed. with lake michigan we where going to head out by makanaw island one of these days.

does anyone know the 08 spearfishing regulations i am having a hard time finding when you can spear panfish,if there is a closing date and what lakes you can legally spearfish on

thanks for the help
Adam

Hey... a new recruit! We are in portage county but thats within your range. If you drive like me :t. Our range extends out to door county peninsula. If you have facebook, we run a little program like this on there. Central Wisconsin Spearfishers group. Add us, add me, and we look forward to seeing you soon.

i dont have a face book but with all of the things that you plan i hope that me my brother and dad can come out with you guys a couple of times

Hey, yeah we will make some plans...there are like 5 of us "New kids on the Block" and flesh over here, most of us just started this year except flesh.

Look forward to seeing you...

I am about to shoot you a pm so we can talk more about getting you out.

I know a great lake close to where you live. Go out to the town of Red Granite and then head north for three miles to Pearl Lake- which is NOT the same as the Pear Lake in Beloit. Great spearing and decent diving.

If you have a buddy you can hit some depth in Red Granite quarry on your way back home.:friday

I'm not sure how close Elkhart Lake is to you, but I've heard good things about it.

Jon

Red granite quarry is AWESOME. It also happens to be the only place in north america home to freshwater jellyfish. :D

Red Granite goes from really nice to really bad over the course of the summer. I've been able to swim around at 90' in the spring and look up to see my bubbles breaking on the surface. Other times, In August, I couldn't see students 5' away.

Pearl Lake is so close that you could hit the two in a day. For spearing Pearl is a much better choice.

Fleshy, If you like red Granite you need to head up to Wazee. Another great spot is just over the border to the north- Fortune pond. It's also know as the Peanut Pit, but it's over 300' deep and always has really good vis- last time I was there I measured out 70', horizontal, with a cave line.

Jon

Long Lake, Gilbert Lake, and anything else that looks clear just to the west of you. Try looking here: Lakesat.org

If you get around the other side of Winnebago I would really give Elkhart lake a try- I've heard great things about their fish populations and the water clarity. It's a regular stop for lots of the local scuba divers.

From where you live there's a lot of nice stuff to the west. If you go too far to the north there are whole counties where spearfishing is illegal- to the west you'll have better luck.

Jon

Whopperhead never told me all of you where famous!!! nice youtube videos!!! what lake where you getting all of the crappies on during memorial day?o and can you spear fresh water drum???

Mendota is another lake in Madison. Very nice..........at least for a week or two. Some fish were also taken in Crystal Lake, Marquette Co.

If you get a chance, try going to door county. I went up there a few times, and got into some really nice carp/visibility.

Go Wisconsin...

Gene

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT