• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New to spearfishing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Norfolknewbie

Mar 16, 2021
Looking for people in suffolk/norfolk for advice in spearfishing locations I have never been and I have my first setup on the way just any advice in general would be much appreciated, thanks

Welcome. Long ago, I lived in Suffolk, near the coast for a couple of years. Unfortunately, long before I got involved in Spearfishing. I'd be interested to hear if anybody has managed to successfully spearfish on the east coast, around East Anglia or Yorkshire even.

I know there can be decent sea angling from the Yorkshire, including cod - years ago, great blue tuna upto 900lb too. And Lowestoft still has commercial fishing boats landing a variety of species. Whether the visibility, currents and other conditions are conducive to spearing though I don't know.

Reactions: Norfolknewbie
Welcome. Long ago, I lived in Suffolk, near the coast for a couple of years. Unfortunately, long before I got involved in Spearfishing. I'd be interested to hear if anybody has managed to successfully spearfish on the east coast, around East Anglia or Yorkshire even.

I know there can be decent sea angling from the Yorkshire, including cod - years ago, great blue tuna upto 900lb too. And Lowestoft still has commercial fishing boats landing a variety of species. Whether the visibility, currents and other conditions are conducive to spearing though I don't know.
Thanks for the info I have been looking north apparently a guy freedived the cromer pier and it was swarming with life might go give that a try will let you know how it goes

Reactions: Mr. X
Thanks for the info I have been looking north apparently a guy freedived the cromer pier and it was swarming with life might go give that a try will let you know how it goes
Hey, I've seen spear fishers a couple times when diving on the Rosalie at Weybourne. Always plenty of fish round there plus lobster and crabs galore. I live in Cromer and I've not seen anyone speros round there personally and I think they've banned normal fishing from the pier recently (according to my neighbor) though I doubt that extends to spearfishing.

Hey, I've seen spear fishers a couple times when diving on the Rosalie at Weybourne. Always plenty of fish round there plus lobster and crabs galore. I live in Cromer and I've not seen anyone speros round there personally and I think they've banned normal fishing from the pier recently (according to my neighbor) though I doubt that extends to spearfishing.
Awsome cheers for that I'll check it out I dont think it was a spearo at cromer just a normal freediver think they swam a little ways out to find life

Awsome cheers for that I'll check it out I dont think it was a spearo at cromer just a normal freediver think they swam a little ways out to find life
It would be great if there was freedivers who frequent Cromer - I'm looking for local buddies to practice with. Have you done a spearfishing/freediving course?

It would be great if there was freedivers who frequent Cromer - I'm looking for local buddies to practice with. Have you done a spearfishing/freediving course?
I haven't done a course yet I'm looking at the Frenchman Ltd in devon exeter 6 hour drive but deffo worth it

I haven't done a course yet I'm looking at the Frenchman Ltd in devon exeter 6 hour drive but deffo worth it
Yeah there's nothing our way. I went to Newquay last year (in-between lockdowns) and did my Aida 2. Was hoping to go to Montenegro this year for level 3 but I'll be doing that in country as well. I did it with FreediveUK who also do spearfishing courses - a little further than Exeter :)

Yeah there's nothing our way. I went to Newquay last year (in-between lockdowns) and did my Aida 2. Was hoping to go to Montenegro this year for level 3 but I'll be doing that in country as well. I did it with FreediveUK who also do spearfishing courses - a little further than Exeter :)
Oh okay thanks I'll have a look at them too I was speaking to the one and only daniel mann (youtube him!!) He was the one who recommended the Frenchman he has been diving with him aslo

That would be

That would be cool though I recommend doing a course first as you learn about shallow water black out recovery and other things related to safety.
Yeah I agree I do know the dangers of blackouts triple your time above water after you dive for example 2 min underwater 3 mins above will deffo get a course done though

Oh okay thanks I'll have a look at them too I was speaking to the one and only daniel mann (youtube him!!) He was the one who recommended the Frenchman he has been diving with him aslo
I like his videos even though I don't poke fish with sticks myself. Halibuut! gets stuck in my head sometimes lol

Theres a few things to consider. Its not much to learn but I'd appreciate a buddy whos practiced recoveries and swb awareness with an instructor
Yeah I completely understand safety always comes first I'm looking to do the course in may or june just awaiting my polo sub suit to arrive

Reactions: OMac
Nice, they're top level suits - you'll be warm. Got a computer yet?
Went with the 5mm might grab a 7 too for winter or abroad later on and I dont have one yet just waiting for end of month to finish my setup not sure which watch to buy any suggestions

Went with the 5mm might grab a 7 too for winter or abroad later on and I dont have one yet just waiting for end of month to finish my setup not sure which watch to buy any suggestions
5mm Is fine for UK summer/autumn and a good all rounder for if you go abroad unless its very hot/cold water temps. I got a Suunto D4F but its only been used in the pool while swimming because of lockdown.

I spent some time looking at different ones - the Salvimar One and the Seac Pantner looked also good as entry watches but the DF4 seemed a bit more refined suited to me.

Whatever you get, I would recommend getting one specifically for freediving/spearing, as even though diving watches have an apnea mode, not all of them measure rest times between dives. And you inevitably have more modes and options to cycle through - not ideal when you just want to dive.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT