• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New to spearing from SoCal

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Trebla

May 19, 2016
How goes it!? I'm new to spear fishing. Just picked up a cressi comanchi 90mm.. I took It out for the 1st time last wk & after about 7 shots the mono came off of the crimp that was attached to my shaft. Is there a way to just open the crimp put the line back in and close the crimp back up? Or should I just buy new crimps? Also, my line floats around when I'm in the water, i bought a shock cord (I think that's what's it's called) with a rope loop on one end and a swivel on the other. I read that helps keep the line snug. How do I do that? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Welcome to DB.

You should definitely buy new crimps and a crimper.

I'm not familiar with the gun, but I looked at a few on line adds, and it appears to have a line release on the bottom near the handle. You run the line up around something on the muzzle, back around the line release, and back to wear it attaches to the muzzle. That keeps it from flowing around. This is a lousy video, but maybe it will help.

That shock cord thing is not essential if your line is not the right length, but the purpose is to hole the line under tension so it doesn't slip off the line release. The cord loop would attach to the muzzle and the snap swivel would attach to a loop on the end of your shooting line. Of course you will need crimps and a crimper to make that loop in the shooting line.

I think you should take the gun to a dive shop that sells spearfishing equipment and ask for advice.

Edit- Damn, I didn't watch long enough. DO NOT fire the gun out of water.

Welcome to DB.

You should definitely buy new crimps and a crimper.

I'm not familiar with the gun, but I looked at a few on line adds, and it appears to have a line release on the bottom near the handle. You run the line up around something on the muzzle, back around the line release, and back to wear it attaches to the muzzle. That keeps it from flowing around. This is a lousy video, but maybe it will help.

That shock cord thing is not essential if your line is not the right length, but the purpose is to hole the line under tension so it doesn't slip off the line release. The cord loop would attach to the muzzle and the snap swivel would attach to a loop on the end of your shooting line. Of course you will need crimps and a crimper to make that loop in the shooting line.

I think you should take the gun to a dive shop that sells spearfishing equipment and ask for advice.

Edit- Damn, I didn't watch long enough. DO NOT fire the gun out of water.

Thanks for the feed back. I think I'm gonna take your advice and head to a dive shop. I think there's one in Laguna,Ca. As for the video, that's a pretty bad video. It just demonstrated how I can bend my shaft and possibly injure myself due to misfire. HAHA! Thanks again Bill.

Thanks Bill. We are gradually building up our archive of instructional (and promotional) videos and explanatory information. They are intended to be beneficial to the new diver and also a good reference for the experienced spearo who may have forgotten how to tie a constrictor knot or the best and easiest way to replace their fin blades.

If anyone sees anything that is "missing" I would welcome your suggestions for additional topics.

I'm pretty proud of this one...:)

http://www.makospearguns.com/get-permission-from-your-wife_a/260.htm

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT