• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New to the bowfishing sport... help please

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

brianjc

Jul 8, 2004
Hi guys

I'm actually new to the bowfishing sport and was wondering if anyone knew of any locations for bowfishing in the ontario, canada region. also from what I hear there are alot of guidlines regarding the sport.... I was wondering if anyone could help me out in one of the two areas... and if they got any tips for a first timer

thanks

brian

Bow fishing as in Elk and the odd salmon with a bow and arrow or jump in the water and spear the odd bass?
Now hunting with a bow and arrow is something I would love to try, Its ileagal here in the UK, so Im never likely to have a go. HEHE! can you imagine sneaking up on some whopping great Elk thing with a homemade Yew bow and letting rip? TWANG! Hehe! Would keep me in food for a year :)
Im having a yew Longbow made for me now, so Im not taking the Mick honest, I have a genuine interest

Brian,
You'll have to check the local regulations for bowfishing. Below the border the sport is mostly confined by law to coarse species like carp, buffalo, bowfin, etc. I don't think that many of those are found in your colder waters. Still, I suspect that the same techniques used here will work just fine. Carp shooting is best done in the Spring during the breeding season when they come into the shallows. With a piroque or some sort of flat-bottomed skiff, have a friend slowly and carefully push you along until you can see the back of the fish (polarized sunglasses help a lot, with a brimmed cap) and let fly. There are plenty of specialized reels that you can attach to your bow and fishing points are easy to find in catalogs.
Good hunting, Brother.

LOL The funny thing that happened is the gent who is making it for me, said when we were discussing it "I love Yew" :eek: I thought he was getting a bit forward and told him we had only just met, then he told me what he ment! AAAARGH! Dont you just want that hole in the ground to open up sometimes :eek:

I am plainly getting slower in my later years...funny story Allison.

my bro has a bowfishing recurve bow witha reel in the mail for me right now, once it gets here from Canada I'm gonna show the new zealand fish what a bow can do...although i'm new to archery as well so maybe they'll show me what a fish can do haha, now i have a speargun, a fishing bow and a fishing rod, all i need is some grenades and a net and I've got dinner covered

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT