• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New to the sport, stoked about it, looking for advice.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Jay

Feb 21, 2003
Being new to the world of freediving I thought I'd ask some advice of you all.

I don't know beans about techniques--I live on my sailboat in the Puget Sound of Washington State where water is cold, oily, and murky, and being the crazy minimalist I am by nature(see the web page on non-auxilllary equipted sailboats) I found a great deal of appeal in the sport. I'd like to get started training, but I've no idea what to expect in terms of results. I'm a crumby swimmer, but have enourmous lung capacity(used to sing opera)--a real high metabolism but pretty focused. Without much training it seems that my static what ever the hell you call it(I guess that's just holding your breath, eh?) is about 3 minutes--swimming around however is a different deal. An attempt, although successful last fall to retreive a stuck anchor at 30 feet was a class A bitch. I'd appreciate any help you can give me to kick me in the right direction.

And by the way, our fleet of engineless world cruising sailboats are always looking for crew. I'm on my way to the Sea of Cortex this summer.

Welcome.
As far as information, this site can offer you very good advices.
Dig the older posts, since lot of these so called 'newbie' questions have been answered quite a few times.
Foremost important thing; do not dive alone, do not even practice alone.

Well have fun. By the way have a look at our member peter kittel, you just might find him interesting.

Tuomo

I'll do that!

And yeah, I know Peter Kittel from the sailing world--he's the guy that sent me here.

look me up(send a pm or private message)

i live on the north islands of the puget sound, where are you?
i dive often and always want to dive with new people, i have worked out a good network here and it is growing fast. p.s. i love to sail and am interested in buiding a new live aboard boat, know any good designs??? hope to hear from you soon.

Hey!

I'm in Bellingham, I teach sailing out of Squalicum Harbor--if you want a chance to sail be sure you look up www.oarclub.org. We've got boats going out almost every weekend and are always looking for crew. You'd enjoy the gang, for sure.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT