• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Slitsnipe

May 29, 2017
Hi there I'm new to this, the reason for the star is I used to spearfish with a poles pear, nothing big time. But I took a 3 year break while in the army. So I'm home now and I just bought a cressi comanche 75 last night on amazon, and was wondering if this is a good starter gun? I live in the Gulf side of florida, and does this gun float? Does the line? Is it hard to set up? Is it good? Can i use a reel woth it? Any and all info helps, especially if you have used it before, also for spearfishing off shore should I carry a powerhead or maybe wait a little for that?

Good starter gun? Yes. For the Uk and places with limited visibility. The waters of Florida can be gin clear - in which case a longer speargun might be more appropriate (100cm+)*. But as long as the fish come within range you should be ok.

Does it float? I would be surprised if it doesn't. Most spearguns are intended to float. Some spearguns only float without the spear (e.g. after a shot has been taken).

Does the spear-line float? It doesn't matter but probably not. You float-line (the line to your diver-down marker float/buoy) should float though. Nylon rope doesn't usually float but (usually much cheaper) polypropylene ropes usually do float.

Is it hard to set-up? No, pretty straightforward: take a look at the excellent Dummies Guide to Rigging** a Speargun thread on this forum. This short thread is particulary apt: https://forums.deeperblue.com/threads/cressi-comanche-mono-line-crimping-botch.102217/#post-938713
and/or youtube.

Is it good? Yes, can be very good value (depending on the price you pay of course). It was used, in various sizes, by a spearfishing World Champion.

Reel? Yes, you can use a reel with it.

Powerhead?!
That is a very specialized piece of equipment and I don't feel qualified to comment on it beyond saying that they are generally used on much larger, heavier equipment and for dealing with, I think , large shark - which most spearos avoid (I recommend that you avoid sharks - for environmental as well as safety reasons). You don't need powerheads for the vast majority of spearfishing, even for very large pelajic fish*.

*Note: Very large fish do however require special consideration, equipment and tactics. Not really a beginner subject for most.
** https://forums.deeperblue.com/threads/dummies-guide-to-rigging-a-speargun.64504/

Good starter gun? Yes. For the Uk and places with limited visibility. The waters of Florida can be gin clear - in which case a longer speargun might be more appropriate (100cm+)*. But as long as the fish come within range you should be ok.

Does it float? I would be surprised if it doesn't. Most spearguns are intended to float. Some spearguns only float without the spear (e.g. after a shot has been taken).

Does the spear-line float? It doesn't matter but probably not. You float-line (the line to your diver-down marker float/buoy) should float though. Nylon rope doesn't usually float but (usually much cheaper) polypropylene ropes usually do float.

Is it hard to set-up? No, pretty straightforward: take a look at the excellent Dummies Guide to Rigging** a Speargun thread on this forum. This short thread is particulary apt: https://forums.deeperblue.com/threads/cressi-comanche-mono-line-crimping-botch.102217/#post-938713
and/or youtube.

Is it good? Yes, can be very good value (depending on the price you pay of course). It was used, in various sizes, by a spearfishing World Champion.

Powerhead?!
That is a very specialized piece of equipment and I don't feel qualified to comment on it beyond saying that they are generally used on much larger, heavier equipment and for dealing with, I think , large shark - which most spearos avoid (I recommend that you avoid sharks - for environmental as well as safety reasons). You don't need powerheads for the vast majority of spearfishing, even for very large pelajic fish*.

*Note: Very large fish do however require special consideration, equipment and tactics. Not really a beginner subject for most.
** https://forums.deeperblue.com/threads/dummies-guide-to-rigging-a-speargun.64504/

So apparently my cressi 75 came pre setup, is that a bad thing? And another question when I fire it do i have to put the line back on the gun a certain way when I reload?

and/or youtube.

Powerhead?!

And also do i need a float line for dives that are no deeper than 20-30 feet?

So apparently my cressi 75 came pre setup, is that a bad thing? And another question when I fire it do i have to put the line back on the gun a certain way when I reload?
That's generally a good thing, as long as it was set-up correctly. My first speargun came set-up by Rob Allen's Dive Factory - lovely job and a good example to learn from.

Yes, of course there is a certain way to reload, although I recall the Cressi has numerous alternative "quick clips", presumably to allow faster resetting of the spearline in hurried conditions (e.g. competition ).

And also do i need a float line for dives that are no deeper than 20-30 feet?
Depth is not the issue. It is simply the link to your marker buoy. Where you attach the other end is open to debate (e.g. to a weight/small anchor, to the butt of your speargun, to your spearline via a break-away-rig, to a loop on your weight belt,...?)

Depth is not the issue. It is simply the link to your marker buoy. Where you attach the other end is open to debate (e.g. to a weight/small anchor, to the butt of your speargun, to your spearline via a break-away-rig, to a loop on your weight belt,...?)

So on the bottom of my gun there is like little notches, would I clip my firing line into this while actively using the gun? Cause it a actually really hard to put it around the front and back hook

So on the bottom of my gun there is like little notches, would I clip my firing line into this while actively using the gun? Cause it a actually really hard to put it around the front and back hook

Like this?
step-8b-jpg.7418

Yes, that is normal. Although I recall that the Cressi Comanche additionally has a few alternative "quick load" clips (at least that's what they appeared to be to me) on the side(s) and bottom:

CC-2.jpg

Usually this is the easy part of the loading process, so I am wondering if:
a. you have enough stretch in your spear-line
b. you are rigging the line correctly?

Do you have a muzzle bungee fitted to your spearline, e.g.
msc_sml.jpg

step-9b-jpg.7420

That adds stretch, making loading easier, and it acts as a shock-absorber once you have speared a fish.

Is your spear-line made of nylon monofilament (which stretches) or kevlar/Dyneema (which doesn't stretch)?

Last edited:
Hi there I'm new to this, the reason for the star is I used to spearfish with a poles pear, nothing big time. But I took a 3 year break while in the army.
I don't know anything about the gun but thank you for your service and what you did for our country.

Reactions: Selenium
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT